Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

9spd Road Ranger Wont select low range

nickbowers ยท 2011-12-21 16:25

Hi, I have a 1996 truck with a 9spd road ranger, the selector wont change to low range. Is there a solenoid that does this? is it common? where is the solenoid or what ever changes the selector? Cheers, Nick

Replies6
  1. #1dannyboy9502011-12-21 18:23

    Knowing what truck it is would be helpfull. Is it electric or air controled shifter. Most of the control valves are mounted on the drivers side of the tranny near the top. Whether it is a control valve problem or an internal one is a whole nuther thing.

  2. #2nickbowers2011-12-22 02:25

    Hi, Its an international Acco, i dont hink you guys would have them over there. Its full air controlled. Cheers, Nick

  3. #3stumpjumper832011-12-22 07:34

    ih trucks, this is where they started, we have ih freezers, pickups, guns, heavy trucks, & even farm equipment. What we don't get are the nissan, mitsubishi, renault, scania branded heavy trucks although I'm sure they have components in the macks, ih, freights, kw... etc

  4. #42stickbill2011-12-22 10:50

    I fixed a 13sp.Road Ranger that was like this.Range xshifter air cylinder on back of transmission has O ring inside.Take the back cover off remove piston and replace O ring.Clean inside of cylinder real good if that doesn't work could be synchronizers.But I have seen that a lot is the O ring.One I fixed by just cleaning the cylinder.There is a valve on the side of theRoad Ranger that controls the range shift.Just some O rings inside it.The ones I hace seen go bad leak air.

  5. #5nickbowers2011-12-24 04:40

    thanks for the replies, going to have a play with it tomorrow Bet your internationals dont look this this, you seem to want a bonnet on everything http://res2.graysonline.com/handler...h&id=357808&s=o&index=0&ts=634469155725830000

  6. #6MitchSA2012-01-13 08:04

    As above mate, check the o'rings in the shift cylinder. They also need to be lubed up with petroleum jelly or something similar.