I just got out another State of California air resource board (CARB) class. All trucks are being regulated but if you record your truck no later than January 31 2012 you will be able to put off some of the requirements. If you record later than that date you will be at their mercy with a compliance date. It seems to work better for the smaller fleet (3 or less). Long haul doesn't have as much of a break as construction trucks. With this economy it will be hard but the state won't let this go away. Delaying for a couple of years might help some owners. This thing (regulation) and the state keeps reminding me of the quote "you can pay me now or pay me more later" .Those that are in other states beware, if your state hasn't thought of it... they will soon.
The California Air Resources Board has a saying - "If it's diesel, it's regulated". Terrible mantra.
When the hell are we the people going to get off our asses and quit letting these government appointed gestapo members ruin our economy to the point of no return. it seems like they pretend to bend a hair on one issue only to come back and drive another death nail in the couffin 2 weeks later.
Dualie. I hear what you are saying. My Freightliner is a 1996 with just over 200.000 miles. I plan on keeping this truck for another ten years. Under the regulations I will have to retrofit it in 2012. I can't afford it. When I asked the CARB guy about what can I do, He looked at me and said buy a new truck! If I can't afford a $10,000 retrofit ,how can I afford a new truck. (IDIOTS) I can put off by filing early, this will give me until 2016. I'll be 56 then after that who knows what I'll do!
I agree with you Dualie. I have been working with a group of portable equipment owners who want to attempt to relax diesel regulations in their county. Unfortunately people need to get together to walk the walk and not just talk the talk. I encourage people to band together and make things happen. What I'm running into is people want change but are afraid to have their names or faces associated with any lobbying efforts for fear local enforcement personnel will target them for violations and fines. [email protected]
I am hoping that Fl will become East Texas maybe Cal. can become West Texas.
I know this not about trucking but my rant California started this out of control mess in about 1964 and the people gave up their power to control this madness, I was pulled over by CHP on the San Diego freeway in 73 driving a military 6X6 because it failed his ringers smoke chart and he wanted to see my cdl I informed him that I had no idea what ringers smoke chart was and I didn't need a CDL, (active duty USN) he got on the radio and then waved me on. Fast forward to 1983 Retired from USN working at a coffee producer SCAQMD was trying to find away to force the plant to install a catalytic convertor on the exhaust of a coffee roaster. I thru up my hands and left the state, and I really liked it there.
Is this in all counties? With who and how do you file for the exemption? What trucks are included? Are all rigs on the road out of compliance except new rigs? Where are these regs posted online? DT466? Thanks
Only convicts are in compliance ,SAD but True !!!
There are a few Counties that are called attainment counties, you must register. You must file with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) All trucks are included in this regulation (14,001 to 26,000 GVWR (light) one standard. 26,001GVWR and up (heavy) separate standard. On line http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/reportinginfo.htm Honestly the state does not make it easy for us. They throw this in now December. And must register it by January. For me with my truck I did this. I have a 33,GVWR 1996 frieghtliner dump truck (heavy) If I did not file for this exception I would have to retrofit my motor by January 1 2012. Because I filed I can delay retrofitting until 2016. The exemption I took was called a Construction Provision. (Dump truck, less than 20,000 miles a year, small fleet owner) I had to file before 1-31-12 Different year truck, different time line for others. I did this I had http://becarbcompliant.com/ do it for me. The headache to go through all this bs was worth it.
Well, if you always want to blame the government for something, why don't you blame them for letting trucks that don't meet the specs drive loads from Calexico to British Colombia. And if you only have to pay the driver $8.00 an hour, they can really drive the load prices down over the long run. To me, the newer engines are all we are making in this country that is MADE in this country. I live in LA and know what the smog used to be like. If you can't afford the upgrade, it's because you're not getting enough per haul to pay the upkeep on the rig. The smaller guys are getting the break longer than the bigger companies but someone told the freighters south of the border that the 100 mile limit is irrelevant and they can drive wherever they want. That has a lot of start ups going over the border just enough to put the little guy out of business here. We used to lead the way in the technology. I would like to see a few more of those turbine engines coming out of engine manufacturers or, in my industry, they have dozers where the finals are driven eletrically; like a locomotive. And it's very clean. I know some guys want to drive some old smokey REO just cause they can, but that's why they are saying you can't. And some how Detroit still makes a Corvette that has over 600 hp and meets smog emissions. Just don't try working on it yourself. Buck up, invest in America. (Boy, I know I'm stirring the pot with this one)
(Boy, I know I'm stirring the pot with this one) You are and your not! You make some really good points. In San Diego I am constantly competing with Mexico's trucks (and labor force). It is hard to stay competitive if there is not an even playing field.I hope when all the regulations hit, they are at the border checking the trucks to see if they comply with both safety and Carb requirements. I hope they do! Cat is producing VDECS for aftermarket trucks along with other U.S companies. I also agree to "buck up and invest in America" It can be hard if an American company is manufacturing outside of the U.S,though and you don't know how much of that dollar makes it to the guy on the street in the U.S.and not to the CEO's off shore bank account,because of all the tax breaks. Also the regulations I believe are counter productive at this time. Companies are struggling to make payroll, the last thing they need is more costs to do business in California. Air quality is better. The auto industry has improved it's air quality as each year comes. Diesel motors have a much longer lifespan, but we are expected to make up for aged technology in our equipment. The projected air quality that Carb wanted to see that was projected in 2007 has already been met. Why? Not that many people are working. Let them back off a little longer so we can get back on our feet. I feel they (CARB) has hit us when we are already down! Lastly to all, Seasons Greetings
Zactly! I have to say you have a line that I can agree with and can see your point perfectly but that was not what I was hearing from some of the members. As you said, air quality has gotten better. No doubt in some small part due to regulation. The economy is in the trash. Absolutely. Even playing field. I'm with you. CEO's with offshore bank accounts. You will never see me say "money repatriation tax holiday" without a vein popping out of my neck. In my industry, they have backed off the diesel ppm requirements and I think you said if you register the truck (was it up to three?) that you can avoid doing that. I'm not as educated about the on-road vehicles as I am about the off-road vehicles but I know they have relaxed the regs for the off-road. And I have to tell you, anyone that says they only had one month to comply has had their head in the sand. I have been hearing about this for years and had emails up the wazoo. The limitations for my equipment were pretty "cut and dry". Less than 2500 horsepower, you had to do nothing but register your spread and don't let them run through lunch. 5 minute idle rule has actually saved some fuel. That was good till 2014 then just a percentage had to be turned over. If 2500 HP was a small spread, I was a micro spread and I still had ten pieces of equipment and had seven guys working for me. And if people hate the regs that much, do like the people who move to Nevada with their corporations in hopes of avoiding paying California taxes. I think, if anything, they (OUR government) have to try things that will fix the problems that we don't even see and maybe not right the first time. Acid rain is not BS. But there are always people who will work hard at not complying. If they worked as hard at complying as they do at not complying, I don't think they would have this problem in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against dissension in the ranks. I believe that is the foundation of our society but some people just don't get the idea that majority rules and that is why we vote our conscience and beliefs. I'll take the regulation mixed with a little common sense and view of the future any day over the free-wheeling "I have the right to pollute" crowd. (Here I go again) Try deregulating the freeways and see what happens. (Or the banks?)
Sounds like a rookie and bet he never did it again Was it polluting? Or are you saying it wasn't polluting and they have a stake in making companies comply with putting coffee making catalytic converters on their exhaust stacks for no reason to try and drive them to Arizona?
Yah, but they were free to break the law at one time or another.