Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A bit of our work

Oxbow ยท 2015-12-04 00:03

This video was taken of a project that we did last summer. The 215 and end dumps were under a separate contract to provide logs and rock, and the Kobelco, haul trucks, and screening operation belong to a fellow that subcontracted to us. Our company did the stream work. This was phase one, and the project will be completed next summer. I thought it was about time that I shared some of our work. As you will see, the use of drones for these videos is pretty handy. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqEsXprYUQ

Replies13
  1. #1RonG2015-12-04 00:58

    Wow,great footage,Thanks for sharing.Ron G

  2. #2Scrub Puller2015-12-04 01:38

    Yair . . . Oxbow I will have to bookmark this thread, I would like to look but I am plumb out of data this month. Cheers

  3. #3lantraxco2015-12-04 14:31

    That's great! Been through that area a few times many years ago, Dad used to fly fish all over that part of Idaho.

  4. #4td25c2015-12-04 20:05

    Oxbow , remember you describing that job on the bio degradable oil thread . HeavyEquipmentForums Did not realize the size & scope of the job until viewing your video . Pretty impressive !:thumbsup Did you end up going with the bio oil ?

  5. #5hetkind2015-12-05 07:18

    Nice work...spent a decade on environmental restoration sites.

  6. #6Oxbow2015-12-05 11:33

    There is no shortage of good fishing around this part of the State. This project was designed with fish in mind, but not necessarily fishermen. The wood structures and cover log placements are going to catch a lot of flies and line I think. It wasn't required on this job td, but another job designed by the same people, hence I have not converted yet. When it is time to change hydraulic oil on our machine we will convert, and anything that we purchase new will have it. I am guessing in the years to come that the manufactures will begin using it either as standard practice, or as an affordable option.

  7. #7Oxbow2015-12-05 16:01

    Just a little more background on these projects; the species of concern are anadromous (born in fresh water, but go to the ocean, and then return to fresh water to spawn) fish, specifically Steelhead Trout, (which are genetically almost identical to Rainbow Trout I believe) and Salmon. These fish travel some 900 miles from the ocean, and in this day in age, with the number of dams and other obstacles, that is quite a feat. The dredge mining that took place is also fascinating, and we are fortunate to have a wide variety of interests that support these types of projects. The dredge tailings that we are manipulating to put the stream into an alignment that it may have historically been in, are protected by our State Historical Society. All of these groups that include private landowners are working together to improve the habitat for fish while preserving the historical significance of the mining operations. We are fortunate to have been the awarded the contract to perform this phase of the restoration process. If one googles West Fork/Yankee Fork, or just Yankee Fork, there are a number of videos available that describe the restoration efforts.

  8. #8Landclearer2015-12-06 14:16

    Hey Oxbow, that is a great project. I enjoyed the video very much. A very interesting and different project for sure. Thanks for posting it for us.

  9. #9Oxbow2015-12-06 14:34

    My pleasure LC, it is about time I share some of our work as I enjoy and learn from others like yourself.

  10. #10Oxbow2016-04-08 09:00

    My office view yesterday: In the first picture there is a cow and calf Moose upstream in the creek. They are hard to make out, but are standing in the water. We are installing an irrigation structure.

  11. #11lantraxco2016-04-08 11:53

    Nice view from your office

  12. #12td25c2016-04-08 20:11

    Beautiful country your working in Oxbow ! :thumbsup Irrigation gate structure for a wetland ?

  13. #13Oxbow2016-04-09 11:38

    The ditch that this feeds ends up irrigating some meadows and supplies water to a pond system. You'll notice that the bottom of the irrigation structure is higher than the water level in the creek. Spring run-off and high water won't start until next month sometime, at which time the water in the creek will rise sufficiently to supply the irrigation system through August.