Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Drainage tile install pics

Boiled Owl ยท 2016-01-16 00:00

Thought I'd post some pics from late last year installing a 10" tile main. The plow can go 6' but 4.5-5' is more likely. I was supposed to dig the start at the ditch and the overburden for the plow tractor. After the black loam came off it was like mason sand underneath. Tractor ran out of traction pretty quick so I backed the Doosan in to assist. Third pic is reconnecting the tile after it pulled apart...digging by pushing forward as he's behind the plow and over the installed tile.... We didn't have enough manpower to feed the tile over the black dirt pile. This was a beat the rain project....it was drizzling most of the day.

Replies5
  1. #1Scrub Puller2016-01-16 04:03

    Yair . . . Good one Boiled Owl , appreciate the pictures and description of what is going on. As I commented on another thread I find it amazing such a huge amount of earthmoving can be justified for paddock drainage . . . we mostly don't have that problem. Cheers.

  2. #2Boiled Owl2016-01-16 18:43

    The length and depth of the overburden was really beyond the scope of what I thought I was getting into. It's a Doosan 140 kind of small for this. You can see the sand we encountered in these pics Combined with the coarse sand underneath, we hired a trenched machine to install the other mains as they could work to 9' depth. They brought a cat 338? That had the cahones to get r done timely. They had to dig a couple feet off in two spots. They had several cave ins and had to dig a side relief to get the chain moving again.

  3. #3Boiled Owl2016-01-16 18:46

    Crap...phone pics posted sideways!

  4. #4Fastdirt2016-01-16 19:48

    Yep you have to take pictures with the phone horizontal because most forums will post any vertical pics horizontally... That's one serious machine I'll say and one crazy job.

  5. #5Boiled Owl2016-01-16 22:51

    Turned! Second photo is shows side digs to relieve trencher.