I am wanting to access the Evaporator coils to clean them out. Before acquiring this machine is was allowed to sit in an open barn with the door open I guess and a family of rats transferred my seat cover and a couple of equipment trader magazines into the ventilation system. He must have also been a peanut farmer too boot as I have found many peanut shells along the way. I'm Using this opportunity to give the back side of the cab a really good cleaning. I have removed the seat, the seat base, all the beige plastic covers, the ventilation duck tubes, the lunch box * BTY I never expected to find the A/C piped into the lunch box area*. All this has been scrubbed clean and is ready to re install. Blowed in all the inlet outlet holes I can find with the air compressor and not much in the way of rat nesting came out. I then turned on the A/C to check air flow. I have pretty fair airflow with the controls set to outside air but when I switch to recirculate the cab air it dies by half or better. I can not find where the air is sucked into the blower on this setting to see if anything is restricting the inflow. My questions are. (1) when recirculating the cabin air where is the air brought into the system from and is there a filter there that could be blocked. (2) If I wanted to get to the evaporator to inspect it * since I am already this far along how do I access it? THanks in advance.
Here is what I am looking at. I know the coils are somewhere below all the electrical components but I can not see any way to open the box up once everything is removed.
There are few differences between models so it would help to know at least what Serial Number prefix your machine is, also if it is a 6GK then is it above or below 393, the air conditioner changed at that number. There is a filter located in/around the lunch box area and the blower sucks in through that filter, so that's probably your issue when in recirculation mode. Knowing a few more details I could probably post an exploded diagram showing what it looks like.
Nige: I just came in from the 100 deg south Ga heat for a drink of water and while on my last adventure for the in cab filter and it was blocked off solid with clay dust. It is located on the side of the unit (door side of the cab) Good air flow at this point from both in cab or ext. source. My serial number is 7dk but the dealership is using 6gk since mine is a grey market machine. Looks like to access the coils you have to pull the entire unit and it splits side ways. I was hoping there was an access door on top.
As I have also had a problem on the ac in an e50 bobcat, the filter that filters outside air is on the right hand side looking out the cab, under the cowling…it is small, maybe six seven inches long , four inches wide behind a louvered plate…..I had to get someone to show it to me, and that could possibly be where part of your problem could be… To get to the evaporator coil, I was told they had to lift the cab up a few inches to get it out … a poor design Tony
You're actually about three quarters of the way there now. Just need to remove the tin cover underneath the cab and disconnect the heater hoses and A/C lines. There will be six or eight bolts holding the unit down to the floor, disconnect the wiring and it should lift out. IMO it's better to do the job on the bench anyway. They can be fiddly to reassemble and you can give everything a good clean out with compressed air.
You will need to remove the tin cover undert the cab and also disconnect the heater hoses and A/C lines. view web link .