Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A couple 480B questions

Ramman123 ยท 2016-08-13 13:06

Hello gentlemen I've got a couple questions I hope you can help me with. My old 480B has probably had a few masters and some if the repairs were terrible ! So my first question is: Would it have had a parking brake originally? I can find no evidence of one and I called Coleman equipment and the chap there could not find a answer. I find it hard to believe that it would not have had something. ? Secondly : When driving around my rear bucket boom or arm, drifts down. I'm sure it's leak by in a seal that probably needs addressed but I saw on my friend Mike newer hoe he had a lever and hook latch system from inside the cab that kept it up. Has anyone ever retro fitted a latch like this? Or come up with a idea that worked . Just looking for ideas. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1sheepfoot2016-08-13 14:50

    You would lock the two foot brake pedals, then on the lt hand side it had a slide bar and handle with teeth, you hold down your foot pedals and pull up on the handle to engage the teeth to the bracket locking the brakes. You could weld a hook at the top of outrigger leg, and put a hook or ring under the backhoe boom. Run a 3/8 chain from the stab leg to the boom and back to the other stab leg and chain it up. Most machines would leak down over time with it bouncing around without a positive locking device. Very few backhoes you can run that you don't have to turn around and pull the rear boom up during the day. You may need to pack it or replace some o rings in the valve or relief assembly. Look at the boom cylinder good for contact with the stabilizer foot, if it has dings or gouges you could also be looking at internal piston and tube damage. You can see on some of the fords how they chain them up for example.

  2. #2sheepfoot2016-08-13 14:53

    That lock bar slide for the parking brake is on the rt side.

  3. #3Ramman1232016-08-13 15:54

    Thanks Sheepfoot there is no slide bar present and no way to lock the pedals together. There may have been both at one time, but there is no evidence of them now. I'd like to see a photo or a picture of a schematic if anyone has one to share Thanks .

  4. #4Grady2016-08-13 18:04

    The Coleman site online has part breakdowns - not sure if they have the 480s but worth a shot.

  5. #5sheepfoot2016-08-13 22:05

    I did not check the coleman site but they should be the same as casece parts site. Go to the machine model and type in 480B, when it opens it will list on the rt hand side, go to page 4 and look for 144, brake pedals and linkage, you should see the parking brake lever and other hardware.

  6. #6Ramman1232016-08-14 09:07

    Great Thanks

  7. #7Ramman1232016-08-14 09:22

    Sheepfoot : I must be blind ! I went to case drawing as you suggested and I see the parking brake set up. I've seen that drawing before but I missed the ratchet bar.........some how. Now I'm on the quest for parts. Thanks RE