Have followed forum for some time, but would like to ask a couple questions now. Why is there a governor on the transmission/torque converter?? Why do they use a bell-crank linkage in the track tension?? And a hard question - is there any parts being reproduced for the final drives/transmission/torque converter??
Yair . . . flatfoot . You have ruined my day!!! Here I was real pleased at being able to post details about Luberfiner filters on another thread and thinking my memory is not so bad after all and you come up with this . . . . Did they have those things? I have no clue and do not remember those features of 21p's. I seem to remember the track tensioners were very simple and could be changed without splitting the track . . . I am sure there are folks on here who can help. (big grin) Cheers.
Just today I went looking for a final drive gear for a HD16DC. Found new at: http://www.fpsmitheq.com/index.html If you have a part number you can do a parts search. Otherwise, they respond very quickly to e-mail. After market bearings are available in different places. Minnpar has online parts manual, if you need one. http://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/Al...on & Fiat Allis/Dozers/HD21P PM #70634416.PDF FWIW, the HD16 I've been working on has the bell-crank linkage in the track release.
Allis Chalmers used what they called a 'ground speed governor' on their powershift 'P' series tractors. Was their way of regulating tractor ground speed. Basically it was a very expensive complicated way of doing what the operator simply does with a decelerator imho. Most were removed or disconnected by their owners; was removed on my HD6ep and mates HD11ep Either way it was discontinued by the time the 'series B' tractors came out. The Bell crank recoil mechanism was only on HD16 and 21 models; don,t know about 31 and 41. Wasn,t on 6 and 11 models. torque converters were usually twin disc. or Rockford on late HD11s Transmissions were Rockford.
Yair . . . D6 Merv. Good one mate, I thought you would chime in on this one. I have no recollection of the "ground speed governor" and that bell crank recoil must have been the only thing on the bastards that never caused us grief!! Cheers.
Thanks for the answers! There is one for sale locally and was just going through service manuals getting acquainted, but scared it could turn into a real heavy paper weight in a hurry if parts are not available!
In reality the parts for the most part are easier to come up with than any of the stuff they built after Fiat-Allis or New Holland took over.
yes; have a few mates down here in NZ with HD6s and HD11ep,s and we can still get a lot of bits through minnpar. Although engine kits and main bearings are starting to get abit harder to find for the AC engines. But there would have been a lot of allis,s wrecked in the states. Just a matter of finding someone there who specialised in AC parts. General gear in boise Idaho still advertise parts.