Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A descent days work for a rental backhoe.

Jeckyl1920 · 2019-04-03 20:30

Not bad for a rental. After 8 hours on a case 580n, I like the cab, and most of the way the hydraulics react. However, the front bucket was terrible. Whoever put the sticky auto bucket curl in should be shot! Both this and the deer, but this one is worse. And the hoe is good, except this boom bounce off the full up for the lock? Idk, but both this one and the one yesterday did it, and it is terrible and could get someone's head bashed in. There's nowhere to put your foot other than on the floor or on the glass. A pet peeve, but the solid bottom glass isn't something I like. I'm a bit disappointed with the down marks, as the case is the easiest to turn the seat around in for us tall guys that I've found so far, and the driving side of the cab is super roomy. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? I'd love to see some favorite cabs and hydraulics/e stick setup opinions.

Replies16
  1. #1mudober2019-04-08 21:35

    With a case hoe when locking the boom up you have to have the rite touch. You see when it’s coming back towards the cab as soon as it almost stops quickly move the boom lever down to break it over gently to the lock position. Practice it e few times and you will learn how to time it so it doesn’t seem like your going to blow the windows out. Looks like four hours of work for a professional.

  2. #2Jeckyl19202019-04-08 22:43

    I wasnt trying to lock it. When the boom topped out(not getting crazy with it) instead of stopping, it would bounce a few times, like it was on a spring. The breaker would move about 6 inches up and down 2 or 3 times with no input. If I could break it into larger pieces, it may have been 4 hours. This was 8-12 inch concrete with mesh, and the boss wanted 2 ft square or smaller. Idk why 3 ft is standard, but the boss gets what he wants, so I had to spend a lot of time breaking it up more. This ended up being 19 truck loads.

  3. #3mudober2019-04-09 02:08

    I see now what your talking about. It is one of the quirks of all case hoes. 19 loads is a lot of concrete to load out too. Everyone has a favorite machine it seems. Me I like New Holland B. H. Question for you. What do you mean by downmarks?

  4. #4Jeckyl19202019-04-09 08:08

    I ment my personal dislikes of the machine, it is out of the running for something I would buy. I haven't tried a jcb yet, but I tried one of the new cat 450 setups for ergonomics, and I think it's a winner with the seat mounted sticks and glass that tilts out of the way. I have yet to find one in side shift tho, so that may bring me back to wanting to try out a jcb again.

  5. #5Willie B2019-04-09 08:10

    Case has improved their hydraulics with each model change. I'm going to say you still don't like it. Mine is OLD and boom power is good when it is out at 45 degrees from vertical, but disappointing all the way up or down.

  6. #6hammertime2019-04-09 15:28

    That springy deal with the boom is very eye opening the first couple of times.

  7. #7AzIron2019-04-09 22:38

    Personally I went to deere this last go around from being raised on cat cats electronic controls wouldn't do it for me deere is still a true pilot I never liked case fish bowl of a cab curved glass sucks and also the windows hit the outrigger and I agree about the loader control not a fan Cats new design is pretty good idea I saw the first prototype of it when I was a kid dad was on the test program it only took 15 years to be able to build it if memory serves corect deere had a similar design and it had a nightmare of problems with the wire harness in the seat I see potential for similar problems and it's also control by wire witch I dont like because you dont feel things with them I like Deere 4wd button that's in the loader control thats really nice when you doing load and carry across the job you dont have to reach to flick the switch

  8. #8AzIron2019-04-09 22:39

    Jeckyl that's a decent days work concrete with mesh can be a real pain sometimes th 2 by 2 pieces are sure easier to get in a truck

  9. #9Jeckyl19202019-04-09 22:56

    I did run a newer deere with enclosed rops, and I did like it. It's in the running as the deere shop is just as close as cat is. I'm doing a ton of homework toward my end goal, basically having an advanced swiss army knife machine with some unique tricks in its pocket. That leans me toward a side shift style backhoe as well, but that may be the first compromise.

  10. #10AzIron2019-04-09 23:28

    Deere has a side shift machine I would go that route long before jcb You need to look at a 310 sl hl if your looking at deere it's a heck of a machine I got 2 me and dad both like them that's the machine that got him off the cat he has been running the last 10 years

  11. #11LN Pipeline2019-04-09 23:59

    I own a JCB, and I wouldn’t recommend one.

  12. #12Jeckyl19202019-04-10 00:07

    Ya, jcb is something I would have to test drive before even considering, and they would have to give me a screaming deal. I have used a ton of 310 rentals, and they do decently after being beat up. A buddy ran a new 710 rental and was in love at first tug. That was coming from a beat up 2007 416 cat, but that cat actually still did better than most 310 rentals I've ran(and I watched half of that machines abuse), so I'm torn.

  13. #13Jeckyl19202019-04-10 00:09

    Good to know, could you explain a bit. I saw an owner operator in a 4cx, and he was a monster with that machine. One of 3 operators I've watched and admire.

  14. #14LN Pipeline2019-04-10 03:38

    Biggest problem I have with JCB is the markup of their prices on parts, and the fact that you pretty much have to get them through JCB since they are not common in the US. Maintenance does not seem to be considered in the design of their equipment. I generally buy older equipment and have to work on it. I dread working on my JCB. If I never had to work on it or buy parts for it, I would probably like it. I especially like the four large tires and steering modes. This being said, a JCB might be an ok machine if you are strictly renting, but I wouldn’t recommend buying one.

  15. #15AzIron2019-04-10 07:29

    Comparing any backhoe to a 710 is not a fair comparison they are just a monster all to them selves also a 710 is not a very nimble machine for tight places not to mention the price tag as well There are 4 versions of a 310 currently and they are not anywhere close to the same I would be curious if the rentals you had were the stripped down rental version

  16. #16Jeckyl19202019-04-10 08:49

    That's honestly my main concern. Their shop is far, and geared toward lifts. Thanks for the info. Likely they are. They seem to need WOT to keep up when using the hoe, and doing pulls while keeping the bucket flat is difficult for those machines. They tend to favor stick and boom, and forget the bucket. Nothing happens while extending and retracting the E stick.