1. What fluid is suggested for transmission? 2. What is the procedure for changing trans fluid....mainly the filling portion... machine running or stopped? Hot or cold? 3. Where does the oil pressure dummy light tube attach to the engine? Also, I tried both unplugging the wires to the sensor and connecting them with a jumper, the oil pressure light flashed in both conditions.
I don't know the other two but #3 sounds like you have a broken wire between monitor and sensor.
Sounds like you really need an O&M Manual. Try this link and plug in your Serial Number, a pdf download is about $40. Probably the best $40 you'll ever spend. https://publications.cat.com/?_ga=2.156579259.1254054070.1509567421-1152932197.1509567421
Hey Nige, nice to have your inputs! Any story for the time you spent out in the wilds? Any chance on a post of the events?
I put a mechanical oil pressure guage and mechanical temp gauge on both my machines. Found out two of the three factory gauges on the over a model machines were lying. It feels a lot more comfortable watching these gauges now. Really need to put mechanical gauges on the hydrostats now, I can reach behind one and change how it reads.
Where did you tap in for oil pressure?
One motor we went into the right hand side of the block into the oil galley. Other one was teed into the block below the head where the idiot light hooks above the hydrostat. Also we ran regular hydraulic line from that tap to the pressure gauge. Didn't trust copper or plastic.