Hi everyone, Here's a few pictures of my Adams 666 I thought I'd share. I was given this machine a few years ago, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it other than that the brakes don't work. It even came with a snow wing which I've since taken off... It had sat for 10 years without moving and I approached the owner to see if it was for sale. He said I was welcome to try to get it running since it had trees growing all through it that were several inches in diameter. All it took was a chainsaw to remove some of the trees and a battery and it was running! I drove it around and everything seemed to work. It was sitting at the local airport and had been used for snow removal there and that's what I did with it for a few winters after I got it going. Then one day the owner said either you drive it away or it goes for scrap... That was a no brainer! I drove it home that same day.
Man what a score! Even the rubber looks good. Looks like a "stand up while you operate" style?
A lot of the older graders don't have brakes. The lines start rusting in two and rubber lines start cracking and leaking. Master cylinders need rebuilding or replacing etc. etc. the list goes on. Very nice find! Ain't nothing like acquiring something for free!
So unusual to see an Adams with a cab. Good looking old beast. Does it have a Detroit or an International engine?
Grouser, this machine is just as easy to operate sitting down as standing up, not really sure how to tell the difference, it's the only grader I've ever run... Yes, the rubber is good, a few of the tires have slow leaks but it takes them a looooong time to get low... Chris, the brakes don't work because when they installed tire chains (of which a full NEW set of 6 came with the grader) it tore off one of the brake lines. I hammered that one shut but dumb as I was I put ordinary DOT3 brake fluid in the master cylinder and that stuff ate the seals... Joe, it's actually got neither of those engines, it's got a Cummins, not exactly sure of the model, but it's a big one! Here's a few more pictures from when I first got it!
Spitzair, I can see the injection pump drive in the second to last pic. Cummins always put the ID tag there that has all the engine specs. I have seen them removed or damaged on engines occasionally, I hate it when that happens. That is one nice find you came accross.
Nice find you have there.They were good machines and can last many years.It may have been built in Paris,Ontario. Had a Adams 440 then a Wabco 555.The triple 5 had a Cummins 743 for power,about 210hp.Your triple 6 could have the same or maybe an 855 Cummins. Dominion
Great score there. Hope you get a lot of work out of it.
Now that you say its got packing a Cummins that makes a lot of sense We own maybe...5 dump trucks/tractor trailers w/ Cummins engines and quite a few pieces of equipment. If it doesn't fire up within 1-2 second of cranking, start searching for something wrong Ouch..sorry to hear about the brakes, it shouldn't be to hard of a fix though!
I remember as a kid watching graders working and thinking how cool the guy standing up in the cab looked.:drinkup
geez some people have all the luck. a free grader who woulda thunk it!
Back in the 70's I operated a 1954 Adams powered by what I recall was a UD16 International, started on gas and switched to diesel. Wasn't a bad machine, very durable but certainly no Cat. Had a great road gear for getting back to camp at the end of the day! You adjusted the brakes on the gear box for the controls by tightening or loosening a brake band on a small wheel just ahead of the cab. Had to get those set right or they'd kick heck out of you or the moldboard would drop on it's own. It was a fine line. Plowed snow with it in the winter. Piddly little heater in the cab meant you were half frozen most of the time. Anyway, I finished miles and miles of streets and parking lots with it and have fond memories of the machine.
Same here We lived on a gravel road that was graded often. I'd go sit on the road bank and watch as they came. Usually 2 or 3. Watched the park brake drum turn under the cab on those old Cat's. Now our road is paved and besides----if I went out at age 51 they might think---------- LB
Odd nice looking machine!
Great score Spitzair.......... thats one of the newest looking Adams I've seen:notworthy.......mine has a cab but it's the older rounded corner style from the 40/50's........I have a feelin you either helped the previous owner out on occasion or he took a likin to ya.......... Looks like you've tamed the hand of the devils machine..........LOL
Spitzar I bet if you fell out a window you would go up, my Da always said "better to be born Lucky than rich"..well done best of luck with it .
Har har har de har."Spitzar I bet if you fell out a window you would go up". .
Thanks for the comments guys! Haha, Stock, If I fell out a window it would be a short, non-stop, direct flight in no other direction than straight down...
The only thing I got for nothing was grief, and people are always willing to give that away..