I took these pics in april 09. This is a borrow pit after all the salvagble wood had been decked and I was just busting the stumps, getting the rest of the wood past the log deck and putting it to round piles for burning next winter. The cat is one of our old 8N's that has 45000 hrs on the clock. Not a big fan of it with the angle blade on but does alright with the rake, it also has plexi glass windows.
The first 3 pics are just getting some of the bulk off. 4 The 8T giving me a hand to get my windrow past the log deck. The reason we had to get our piles past the deck is so the log trucks can come in and take the logs this summer and also so we can start stripping and get the pit going. 5 Area shot. I know it still looks dirty but this was acceptable on this job and will just be taken out when we strip.
First one is the log deck 2/3 Starting on the other 1/3 of the pit 4 The 8N and 8T 5 This pic is from 2 weeks ago as I was crusing by in the grader. You can sorta see the round piles behind the log deck.
Nice pics, always enjoy a day in the timber. Thanks for sharing. Trbo
love the blingage with the nice new silver tracks
Awesome pics.
Wow Hojay...pretty interesting job. How come they don't chip up all that wood debris and sell it? Seems like it would be profitable to make a few dollars on the remains instead of burning. Down here it's fairly common to chip up the hardwood remains and sell it. The chips are sold mainly as a fuel source in some of the factories.
Thanks for the comments guys. Hey red bug, I've never heard of selling the chips before around here, not really a standard practice here, but i'm sure if there was money to be made someone would of jumped on it. Also I was about 2 hours out in the bush here so it might not be to economical. When we do end up mulching they usually like to keep the mulch to put on top of the topsoil when we roll the pit back and do the rec.
i would cut up a lot of that to burn in my woodboiler.......free heat!!!!
Hi HoJay, Are your dozers protected from damage by logs & sticks? I'm thinking something like the armour that Landfill dozers have . I'm sure you would have troubles if you're working in that environment regularly...
HoJay Who makes the rake in the first picture? RonL
Hey jim, this dozer is mainly a brushing dozer because it is gutless when pushing dirt, so it does spend a great deal of time with a rake on. This is about as protected as I have seen them around here. It's got sweeps, screens- missing one side one though and plexi glass windows. This dozer has spent most of the last year and a half with the rake on but it's taken a toll, shes bent up pretty good and most of the lights dont work.
Great pics HoJay, love every snap:thumbsup
Great pics with the big tonka toys!
Those are some cool pics Hojay, as well as COLD pics!! LOL
cool pictures
Thanks for all the responses boys. We just finished up at this site a couple weeks ago and I figured I would show a few pics in operation. We only took about 200 loads out of the pit for the approach and to patch a few holes on the main road. We should be back in here in the fall to build a couple drilling pads and those should be around 1.5 million meters. If I am back for that I will post pics of the Buggy show. Pic 1 is right after we stripped the pit with the 8r. Pretty soupy 2 Parked at the end of the day. I ran hoe most of the time and Willy was on the cat. Pretty good skinner 4 Ramped down and the consultant wanted a gentle slope on the edge because we were going to be out of the pit for a couple months 5 All dried up and hauling to the approach. We slimed it off when we took the sub off which is in the windrow on the right.
1 The 8 trimming up the approach 2 My 2 trucks had a 35 minute round trip so the service guy dropped the oil and did the filters on the hoe so I hoped on the 8 and bladed ruts. 3 Last day of the job the 8 and 815 parked where the hoe should of been parked. I was told that we only had to haul 10 loads and then I was free to go, I had been in camp for 33 days and rained out alot and had a fishing trip planned for that weekend. Amazing how fast 10 loads can turn into 60. 5 A closer shot of the 8. They have owned it since new, I belive 97 or 98, it's been rebuilt a few times and just got paint last summer, 29,000 hrs and still a pusher.
I saw someone posted with 14000 hrs on an 8, I thought it was a typo! Know i know why you guys buy those things, apparently they last forever..