Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D31.. anyone?

boomvan ยท 2009-05-20 01:13

Hello.. Im in the market for a small dozer... Been looking at a Komatsu D31P-20 in great shape with new undercarriage.. However I'm not finding very much info about these 31 series dozers anywhere... I'm looking for some real-world experiences... Anybody else own or run one of these before? How do they compare to Case/JD 450 size machines? My use is for personal/residential use around the estate... putting in a driveway here and there, flattening out some hillsides, moving some trees around... Do you think this D31P-20 would be adequate for that? Thanks...

Replies9
  1. #1John C.2009-05-20 20:54

    The P in the model number indicates this is a low ground pressure machine. I don't remember where the dash 20 fits in but all I worked on had a six cylinder engine that ran as smooth as silk. There were no torque converters in those machines but they did use a power shift transmission. These machines are pretty basic in design and not hard to work on. Parts are available from your Komatsu dealer. Undercarriage as I recall was pricey and only available from the dealer but that might have changed some by now. They are about the same size and horsepower as the 450 Deeres of that time frame. Good Luck!

  2. #2trackfanatic2009-05-21 02:15

    go back 8 pages.. or use the search function... there's a thread there on them

  3. #3boomvan2009-05-21 23:01

    ok thanks. this one has a brand new undercarriage, so hopefully it will hold together for a while... driving 300 miles there to look at it on sunday.. whoopee

  4. #4BLASZER2009-05-25 07:55

    My boss has a 31 for sale.....Were near Buffalo NY......Also, the union training site is selling a cat d-3 ....sealed bid auction..

  5. #5southernman132009-06-04 07:20

    d31P-20 I have one just like it, mines a 96 and it works very well, couldnt be happier, although mine is for personal use on my acerage in GA and I wont be putting many hrs on it, good luck

  6. #6MrKomatsu2009-06-16 11:47

    d31P-20....Good all around dozer..70 hp....15000#.....0.26 ground pressure...6way blade. conventional steering clutchs,...old school hyd...parts available....after market and oem...

  7. #7George Hampton2023-02-12 09:12
  8. #8George Hampton2023-02-12 09:15

    I'm new here and finding it hard to start a thread. What I need is the measurements on the tilt top link for a D31-16.. I have new bushings but need the correct length to fabricate a new one .. someone botched making the one on it and only tilts one way ... or buy a used link.if someone has one ..thanks

  9. #9Welder Dave2023-02-12 20:53

    When you go into one of the forums there is a blue box near the upper right that says start a new thread. Click on that.