Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A few Cat 235 pictures

spitzair ยท 2009-05-16 01:00

Hello everyone, here's a Cat 235 I got to play with for a few hours this past summer. It's at an abandoned mine in Northwestern BC where it was walked to along with a d8 in the early 80s. It then built a big airstrip and the mine and the rest of the equipment was all flown in. They then mined all the ore they could, shut everything down and flew a bunch of stuff out, burnt the buildings and left other stuff there such as a P&H 670 crane which I'll post pictures of too... There's still a big shop and a few other buildings and the camp we stayed at for almost 3 weeks... In the first pictures I helped the camp fellow make firewood, he'd never run an excavator before so I volunteered since the weather was bad and we had nothing else to do... In the next pictures I rebuilt the road to the fishing hole as it was destroyed by the camp fellow when he thought he was a loader operator and tried grading the road but instead made 4 foot deep cross ditches every 8 feet or so when the front tire of the loader hit the previous ones... It was a big mess and not being to keen on taking a loader with no brakes down that steep hill I opted for the 235 instead... I had a blast! The only problem was that the mosquitoes were very happy to see me! I figured with the machine running they'd stay away but boy was I wrong... The bug dope I had didn't seem to do anything to deter them either. But I still had a great time! Hadn't run a hoe for over a year before this and never a 200 series cat so this was quite a treat... I never quite knew how the travel pedal and lever arrangement would be but after using it I kinda liked it! Anyway, enough waffling, here are the pictures! Enjoy!

Replies6
  1. #1spitzair2009-05-16 01:05

    And a few more...

  2. #2special tool2009-05-16 07:40

    Ha-ha, nice! Hey watch that front window doesn't come down and bonk you on the head.:tong

  3. #3EddieWalker2009-05-16 10:02

    Interesting. Are they just abandoned and sitting there? What were you doing there? fishing? It's too early in the year for hunting, but I know some of the Outfitters spend allot of time in the spring and summer getting camp ready for hunting season. Eddie

  4. #4spitzair2009-05-16 10:41

    Eddie, yeah that stuff was just left there, too expensive to haul it all back out, the nearest road is around 50 miles away... We were there doing Geophysical surveys, they're looking for new places to mine... Basically what we do is drag a big metal detector thing below our helicopter (see picture) and it picks up whatever conductive material is in the ground and makes a map of magnetic anomalies in the area. Later on drills go in there and take samples... Special tool, no worries about the window, that was busted out a looooooong time ago...

  5. #5N.CarolinaDozer2009-05-16 10:54

    Nice pics, great looking area!

  6. #6special tool2009-05-16 15:41

    That's gold... so you are saying that the 235 was abandoned in the early-mid eighties, and you guys just started her up and built a road with it?? Why doesn't that surprise me about a 200 series Cat - because it wouldn't. If that had been a modern machine, the mice would have eaten the 300 miles of electrical wire, and built houses inside the ECU boxes....:lmao