Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A few Issues on my 580K

Bartlanz ยท 2009-11-04 15:28

Ok, so I have two main issues on my 580K neither of which stop me from using it, but both bother me... So I am giong to post video of the problems, describe them best I can, and hope you guys have some more valuable information... Thank you in advance. Issue # 1... When using the backhoe/dipper, I find that it seems to bind when swinging it from side to side. Also I think it has issues with pushing material side to side... these could be the same issue or two different ones. If you want a video of something other than what I have taken or pictures, ask away! Here is the video of the swing action YouTube - My Backhoe's sticky swing action Issue # 2... The gear selection stick has nothing that stops it from moving all over the place... watch the video you will get what i'm saying... this is unlike any manual tranny I have ever used... Video of me playing with the Transmition. YouTube - My Backhoe's Shifter Stick

Replies22
  1. #1bill onthehill2009-11-04 16:51

    My 580K slows when swinging as it reaches near the end of swing. This is to keep you from banging it into the outrigger supports. Do you have any slop in the swing cylinders? As for the shifter you wont like the fix but I had to take up the floor plates on mine. You will need a good shop vac and a ice pick to clean all the crud out of the allen head screws that hold them down. I think they were 3/16 or 1/4 allen. You need to take up the boots around the 4wd lever and the diff lock as well as the shifter. The diff lock is a little tricky to slide the plate off of. On the linkage at the bottom of the shifter I found a lot of wear on the one piece of retainer plate. Spent 20 minutes with a file playing milling machine and got it flat again. When I bought mine you could not get it into 3 or 4 gear at all. Now it shifts like a charm. The allen bolts go into body clip nuts similar to a fender on a car or truck. I took the opportunity to pressure wash mine down from the top while I had it open. Anti-seeze all the allen bolts before I put them back. You may need to use a chisel to help get them loose. Just beat around the edge of the screws to help break them loose. Good luck.

  2. #2alrman2009-11-04 17:06

    Don't you love this modern technology - never diagnosed problem with you tube video before! 1) Not 100% on centre mount configeration - sure you'll have more input though - (this is what is on side shift model & hoping yours is similar) there could be a camplate under the top pin on swing tower - (this controls cushoning through a fixed no. of degress) it has a camfollower bearing running on it - check to see if it is OK - alignment & if still turning while swinging hoe. If bearing siezes it gets flat spots on bearing & puts adjustment out - if that is OK there should be an adjustment linkage that will need a little tweak - try to lengthen linkage a little 1/4 turn at time & try swing if it makes it worse try shorten linkage a little & try after each adjustment. You have to adjust it so there is about the same angle of cushoning at the end of each movement - full left & full right. 2) lift the dust cover on the floor at base of shift lever - there is an anchor point with a rod end bolted to chassis - it probably needs tightening

  3. #3alrman2009-11-04 17:26

    Just checked centre mount configeration for swing reduction what I said earlier should be valid.

  4. #4Bartlanz2009-11-04 17:58

    Thanks guys, I'll check that out tomorow... not thrilled about needing to pull up the floor, so i'll take that under advisement, I just painted the floor of my backhoe within the last few weeks...

  5. #5Bartlanz2009-11-04 18:00

    Also, I agree on the youtube thing, When I was thinking about how to present the issues to you guys, I came to the conclusion being that I am an IT Guy/Geek first, and a weekend warrior with my backhoe, I figured rather than try and describe the problem, why not let you see them!

  6. #6Phil2009-11-05 06:03

    The 580SK I just bought has a very soft shift when moving the shuttle lever. No little lurch when the engaging in either forward or reverse. I have to wait a few seconds before moving the machine. I don't have a service manual yet and it doesn't appear to be slipping once engaged. I see there is a transmission screen that should be cleaned, it's shown on the big maintenance decal. Any ideas on where to start? Phil Found an interesting link this morning: http://case580kbackhoe.com/

  7. #7Bartlanz2009-11-05 08:31

    Nice find on the link, my K doesnt lurch, it just goes forward...

  8. #8Bartlanz2009-11-05 22:35

    Well, guys, I briefly looked at the swing linkages... but because I was pretty much alone today, I didnt do anything on it, there are some large flat spots on the camfollower... I ended up getting destraced by taking the hood off of the BH... It was dented in a way that kept it from closing all the way... I fixed that hopeing that it will allow my air filters to last longer than 100 hrs bc it will no longer be filtering my exhaust... I'll be putting it back on tomorow or saturday... we'll see when I can find a person to help me put it back on...

  9. #9willie592009-11-05 22:46

    LoL...Phil, do you realize how weird it is for you to be asking "any ideas where to start"...on a Case machine? The guy who is the 580B expert? gggraham, alrman, or goose should be able to advise you about anything on a K. IMHO, even with it's flaws, the early 580K was one of the best loader/hoes that have ever been made. Very mechanic friendly.

  10. #10Bartlanz2009-11-05 22:51

    It's funny you mentioned that... The buddy who stopped by and helped me lift the hood off today, made note and commented on how nice and easy to work on the machine was. He used to own a Ford, I never made note of what model... but he liked how everything was rite there and easy to gain access too. Granted he was looking at it with the hood off, but just the fact that the hood rolled forward was a big plus for him given that on his ford he had to remove the side pannels. Phil, Welcome to the 580K club

  11. #11willie592009-11-05 23:24

    Did ya get that Phil? That's funny! If the guy had a Ford that was a comparable vintage of your 580K...there's no question the K was more mechanic friendly. Have a problem with the fwd/rev shuttle on the two machines? The Ford; split the tractor, major project. The Case; remove the driveshaft and drop the small fwd/rev box from the rear of the engine.

  12. #12alrman2009-11-06 00:21

    Phil - ATCO is really tickled by your situation at the moment:laugh:laugh I'm guessing you have a Phase3 transaxle? - 4 sp gearshift through dash? 1) Have you tried a stall test yet ? fwd & rev? 2) does it spin wheels pushing in 1st? 3) while oil is out & looking at screen - check suction line between trans & convertor / pump housing - I've seen steel pipe wear through from vibration & cause cavitation 4) See what is on bottom of trans while oil is out - sludge etc. also the screen slips into a light gauge steel tube - lift the tube slightly & fish around with magnet - see what you can find - hopefully all will be OK

  13. #13Phil2009-11-06 06:41

    ""Phil - ATCO is really tickled by your situation at the moment"" I know , it's almost embarrassing to ask, but I don't mind asking questions and admitting I don't know. I haven't done a stall test and it spins the wheels easily in first. Yes the gearshift does go through the dash, so the transaxle is new to me. I will do the checks you suggest, thanks Phil

  14. #14willie592009-11-06 18:04

    LoL...don't be embarrased bro, heck, we all have a ton of questions about things we don't know. I was just humored because you are the master of the 580B. You have spent a ton of time explaining how to make repairs to the B, very detailed descriptions at that. I've really enjoyed reading those posts. You have answered so many questions and problems, it just seems...different, having the question now coming from you, that's all. I hope you get it sorted out.

  15. #15Bartlanz2009-11-07 20:56

    Just as a status update, I ordered the Camfollower on friday... $66 bux... Its a good thing I love using this thing... its a money pit...

  16. #16Bartlanz2009-11-09 13:50

    So I went north and picked up the camfollower today from my Case Dealer... Installed it and it seems all better, or at a minimum so much improved that i'm happy! here's a vid YouTube - The Swing Action on my Backhoe Fixed! Thanks for the help guys!

  17. #17willie592009-11-09 21:14

    Looks a whole lot better. But I believe you may have some adjusting to do. I'm thinking the swing motion should decellerate equally on each side. Looks like it's coming a little hard into the swing left stop and slows considerably coming into the right swing stop. Alrman would know more about this than me and will correct me if I'm wrong.

  18. #18Bartlanz2009-11-09 22:24

    Ya, I noticed that, but was so happy with the fact that it swings so nice now, i was going to enjoy it for a while.

  19. #19Bartlanz2009-11-17 18:42

    Ok, so today I pulled back the boot ALRMAN suggested, and there was tons of slop there (at the pivot point), pulled the bolt out, added 3 good thick washers and put it back to gether, and the problem is fixed! THANKS GUYS! Next on my list is to get the hood latch system working so i dont have to strap the hood down any more.

  20. #20RFD_Truckie2009-11-19 19:56

    Sorry for the Hi jack Bartlanz, but I cant start a new forum, and this seemed like a good place to start. My family has purchased an older Case 580B (Told ya it was older). My first question is, what does the dang thing weigh... its 2wd. Second question, What should we be watching for? You know, the little thing that costs $2 to prevent but $2000 to repair? Thanks Jim

  21. #21Bartlanz2009-11-19 20:14

    LOL, not a prob RFD, most people just go and post something like "need to post to make my own" For your weight, I would drive it over to your local transfer station... sand pit... scrap yard and get a real weight. I dont know off the top of my head what a 580b weighs... BUT according to this thread on some other site . it should weigh between 8k and 12k depending on options 4x4, extendahoe ect. As for what to do to keep her going... its like a car... Regular oil chainges and grease the pieces... Check your hydro fluid to make sure its clean and not milky, wash it when you feel its due, and keep the bushings tight... I can tell you that I bought my 580k 4x4, extenda-hoe, all glass for 12.5k last year, and have probably put an average of 300 to 400 bux a month into parts and other stuff just to get her back to her glory... If you let them, they will be a money pit... like a boat or plain... heck like any good hoby... *muder muder muder* my problem is I have to many... guns, fountain pens, computers, backhoe, chainsaws, jeep, wife... its no wonder I am always broke ;-)

  22. #22RFD_Truckie2009-11-20 18:08

    I hear ya, I too am in the same boat... Wife, Kids, Truck, Motorcycle, Camper, Guns,,,,, But this is a family venture so we all pitch in, which makes it nice. Thanks for the info. Jim