Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

a leaking hydraulic seal

Tee Wrecks ยท 2024-12-28 14:42

I have a 1970 Case 580ck that does not get used very much. I replaced a leaking hose on the front end loader but now I am leaking around a seal on one of the front loader arms. Is it because of lack of use? Is there an additive I can put in the hydraulic fluid that might swell up the seals? Thank you in advance for your time and expertise on this.

Replies5
  1. #1Vetech632024-12-28 16:00

    The seals rot and no additive will fix that.

  2. #2stinky642024-12-28 16:09

    No. It's been 54 years on the OEM seals or maybe 25 on replacements, might be time for some TLC.

  3. #3Swetz2024-12-29 08:50

    Snake oil!! After it is in the system, you will still need to replace the seals, and who knows what else from the damage of the snake oil.

  4. #456wrench2024-12-29 09:29

    Just bite the bullet and reseal the cylinder. If it leaks oil out, it can also let in dirt or water which usually causes it to leak worse

  5. #592U 34062024-12-29 09:47

    Time for a reseal. No real way around it unfortunately.