Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 Case 580SLE Cummings. I Need faster starter

Geiri ยท 2024-12-28 10:22

I have a 1998 Case 580SLE with Cummings 4bt engine. I am wondering If there are any aftermarket starters that turns faster? Mine is kind of slow especially in the winter time. Battery is new and the starter it self is in good condition. Have any of you guy's had the same problem and if so how did you fix it?

Replies16
  1. #1Shimmy12024-12-28 10:25

    I think the Cummings take a different starter. Maybe someone swapped one for a Cummins instead?

  2. #2Simon C2024-12-28 15:25

    What kind of oil are you running in the engine. How far down in volts is the battery dropping while cranking. Maybe your cables need to be voltage drop tested. Maybe starter itself is starting to be weak. Need to do some tests before buying parts. Can help with testing if you do not know how. Simon C

  3. #3MG842024-12-30 22:28

    I don't think there are any 'high speed' starters available, there is nothing wrong with the stock setup if everything is working properly. As others have noted, you have either a bad ground, bad cables, a weak starter or battery, or a combination of those problems.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2024-12-30 23:40

    There was a service bulletin on the 580SE's with slow starting problems. The repair was to install a relay for ignition wire in the system.

  5. #5Geiri2024-12-31 03:17

    Interesting. Does any one have documentation on that or a how to?

  6. #6gggraham2024-12-31 07:50

    There is only 1 starter for these machines no high speed option. The most likely cause is a bad connection. Don't just do a visual you cannot see the contact surface on the cables to the frame or battery. The battery or batteries ( cold start option) are grounded inside the battery box, Check the connection to the frame for corrosion. Check all cables to battery/batteries. There is also a second ground from the starter to the frame check this connection as well. When I say check I mean remove the cable use sandpaper or whatever to clean the cable at the battery and the frame ( ground side ) then reinstall. I've seen very little corrosion cause big problems.

  7. #7edgephoto2024-12-31 10:25

    Why not diagnose the problem? Measure the voltage drop and see if it is a connection problem or just a tired starter.

  8. #8Billrog2024-12-31 11:38

    Add a second battery if it only has 1.

  9. #9Tyler d4c2024-12-31 13:51

    What kind of shape is the battery cables in

  10. #10Nige2024-12-31 14:04

    Note the OP's location............ I would have two questions based on that location. What oil grade is in the engine and is it equipped with an engine block heater.?

  11. #11Geiri2025-01-30 15:05

    Thank you all for your support So just to Informe all you, who have been so helpful. It turned out that the Alternator was bad and not charging enough to fully recharge the battery. For some reasons the light did not come on, until tonight when the alternator give up fully. My bad I had not tested the alternator and thought it was pretty new. When calculating back it's probably 15 to 20years old I always put the charging maintainer on after I am done working on it. So that might have something to do with this. Now I also bought a new Battery and am planning on a new starter and will go over the cables as I do that. @Billrog Adding a second battery sound good. What location is good for that? @Nige I don't have a engine heater, not a water heater and not a glow plug. I run 15w-40 But just added a little 5W-30 to it recently I need an Alternator and a starter motor, can any of you recommend a good brands and give me links? Would you recommend this starter motor for the Cummings 4bt engine I bought this great machine in 2006 and it's newer given my much trouble. It just at under 8000 hours now.

  12. #12Simon C2025-01-30 15:11

    Should be using some oil like 5W40 synthetic, or 0W40 synthetic as there is way more load on starter turning thick oil through the pump. Just my opinion. Simon C

  13. #13Nige2025-01-30 15:17

    See Simon's comment above. The oil you are using, despite having cut it down with a quantity of 5W30, is still far too heavy. First change the oil to 0W30 or 0W40 fully synthetic and see how you go from there would be my suggestion.

  14. #14Geiri2025-01-30 15:26

    Thank you. I will do

  15. #15clueless22025-01-30 22:49

    The weight and condition of the hydraulic oil is just as important as the engine oil for cold temperature conditions. A clean hydraulic oil filter too.

  16. #16Geiri2025-01-31 13:15

    Hydraulic and air filters are new. Air filter replaced last summer and hydraulic last October. Many things on the todo list for this machine though. Hood sides are rusted out and Doors are bad. Hopefully next summer I can address some of those issues. I am looking for doors and a Hood if some one is willing to ship.