Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A Little Help / idea

pinesd3400 · 2009-03-27 09:05

My kittens bucket cylinder is just starting to weep. First I have never had touched my cylinders from day one. Secondly I'm about broke to totally rebuild it (it works fine) so I have to park it in transport position (bucket curled cyl out). Myquestion is my dozer weeped for years and I unbolt the gland and wrap water pump packing string-rope and tighten the gland. This will last a whole season. Now I wonder If I can do this to a cat. Never had one apart (Cat). Book says theres a stop sleave couple seals outer wiper,My thought is >stop sleave>wrap pump packing, and bolt it back up, I know this is like stop leak in a radiator, but its all I can aford right now. I just want to know If Ill get in trouble by sliding this gland back to wrap it with packing. Also this stuff looks like grafite kind of string. Sam

Replies6
  1. #1dirthog2009-03-27 10:37

    Packing there is no way to do anything except repack that cyl they are completely different than the old dozer cyl there is no way to add anything too it

  2. #2cps2009-03-27 15:16

    I agree with dirthog!! and the hydraulic system on the cat excavator will be more advanged and more sensitive to conatamination if the tape breaks up!! Cat seals (packing) will no doubht cost the earth, can you take it to a machine shop or repair shop to do this! For example i had a costomer with a weeping seal on a Yanmar vio40, Yanmar dealer wanted £300+ for seals only!! He took it to a machine shop that mainly makes rams and they replaced the glan seal for £20!!! Yanmar dealer didnt even have the seals in stock!

  3. #3jwallace2009-03-27 20:03

    check the price for the parts a couple of hundred $ in parts is alot cheaper then a new $7-k cyl

  4. #4ddigger2009-03-27 20:53

    The last time I had one resealed on my Cat 330l,which was last spring, with me removing the ram and taking it to cat it was 800 bucks.

  5. #5idler2009-03-28 01:21

    Try to warn up the hyd oil, maybe the seal is just leaking for lack of use, and when you park the machine. turn the key on and release the pressure for that particular cylinder.

  6. #6pinesd34002009-03-28 07:04

    Thanks, thats just what I thought. I will now invent an external wiper seal, I picture in my mind somthing like a two piece rear main crank seal on Detroit 71s. sam