Good evening from South Texas, I have a small foundation pad (45'X65') that needs 6" compacted fill in two lifts. The fill available is local sand with a bit of clay which compacts well. Engineer is specifying 95% compaction. This is for a reinforced concrete placement. Due to this being a small job I may not be able to get a contractor to do the work. This being the case I can easily rent a compactor. My question is should I rent a pad or smooth drum machine? I have a 30"X84" pipe roller that can be filled with water but no vibration. Site space is very tight due to residences on both sides. Also, it would be nice to be able to have a contractor level the pad with laser accuracy but no one around has a small machine such as a CTL with grade control. Any suggestions? Thank you
Ah, the age-old question. Padfoot or smooth drum. By the looks of your signature, you have everything you need for this job. 3" lifts? As long as the subgrade is stable, your 580 with a full loader bucket will pack that just fine. You have 90 to grade with. Do you have a laser? One other point. The engineer specs call for 95% compaction. How about moisture? You're in Texas. Might need some water?
The mention of 'residences on each side' would be a big no no for the vibrating compactor ride on machine, and certainly we have successfully achieved compaction in sand by 'wheel rolling' with the front tires of a 580 with a loaded front bucket...
Even the M100 grader would do an acceptable job on this project. Nice birthday presents BTW:thumbsup
Load the crap outa the ford dump and wheel roll it... Use a elephant foot jumping jack that can be rented, that thin a big plate tamper might even do it. But seriously.... We need to trade birthday parties... your presents are way cooler than mine!
I think loading up the trunk of the Dodge is the best choice. We'll need to see video, of course... :thumbsup
Sand..... I work in sand .... water, water, water. And to answer your question a smooth drum out performs a pad foot in sand. Hands down.
Thank you for all the replies. I think I will go ahead and fill the trunk of the Hellcat with sand and top it all off with saltwater. Then I will go ahead and hoist some Dos Equis and just go forward and reverse for a day. While it will not weigh as much as the F-700 it will be easier as the Dodge is automatic. Seriously I think i will use the Case 580 with loaded buckets, shuttle shift will make it easy. I might consume some cool ones after I am done. Inches of rain today will also help. Enjoy life it's later than you think! Thanks again!