Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A little help with what to look for, please

MrGod2U ยท 2018-08-30 20:05

I've been building garages quite a bit over the last couple years and have been renting a bobcat e32 to dig for footings and floating slabs in Canada. I've contacted bobcat about financing / lease options but the price ($80k CAD) was a little more then I wanted to spend (down the road as business picks up in the hole digging department maybe that will be an option). The E32 was great, perfect size for what I need to get into backyards in the city etc. I could probably do with a smaller machine so long as I can still get down 7-8ft and fit a 2'+ bucket on it. The amount of makes and models, combined with my complete lack of experience with anything aside from the rental bobcat, has my head spinning. If anybody could lean me towards a make/model that is both reliable and fit for the job it would be much appreciated. I'd like something in the $25-30k range, and as for hours I'm not sure either. I've heard that anything past 1500 hours will be due for some repairs. Looking forward to any replies, thanks a bunch.

Replies10
  1. #1Jeckyl19202018-08-30 22:17

    I would find a used one. Just give it a spin and maybe have the hydraulic oil tested if you are worried. I'm not sure of you have to worry about that on a smaller machine like that. I would also not worry about the hours. You have used the rental machine. If it performs well and runs clean, you likely won't have issues. Check it for leaks and slop in the joints. I can tell how a machine is maintained/operated usually by spending a bit of time on it after doing a walk around. Leaks, sounds, slop and power tell you most of the story.

  2. #2MrGod2U2018-08-30 22:28

    Thanks for the reply Jeckyl. The rental machine was a brand new E32 with 120 hours on it so I was spoiled there. I'm starting to see that bobcat is on the higher end of the price spectrum. 6-8 year old machine with 4000 hours going for $45k is hard to swallow. I'll take your advice and go handle a few different ones.

  3. #3AzIron2018-08-30 22:38

    Cat deere and kubota all make good machines I personally prefer cat or Deere over anything else I have ran a few Bobcats was not a fan Dealer is a big deal maker or breaker if they don't carry parts you will fight having higher hour machine if you could get by without a cab you can find machines in the southwest for under 40 with less than 2000 hours

  4. #4MrGod2U2018-08-30 22:43

    Cab is ideal obviously but to get my feet wet I'm willing to make sacrifices. Would have to look into duty fees returning a machine from the US into Canada but that's a good thought as most everything is more expensive up here.

  5. #5AzIron2018-08-30 22:47

    Its interesting that down here almost all mini don't have cabs no one wants to spend 10 to 12 grand more for a/c

  6. #6MrGod2U2018-08-30 23:04

    We get very high humidity here, I've been to a heat wave in Mexico late summer and it was more comfortable then Toronto on a warm day. That being said, $10-12k is money I don't NEED to spend.

  7. #7Bill Smith2018-08-31 09:02

    Im not a Bobcat fan either . Don't like the Doosan motor . We rent Kubota . pretty well everything on these machines are made by Kubota , 1500 hrs is nothing on a mini ex . I guess you should do the math . how much have you paid out for rent versus payments on owning one . Dont forget you will need a truck and float .

  8. #8PeterG2018-09-02 13:54

    You don't say if you're going to tow it with a dump truck or pick up truck or what kind of trailer you have. I would buy used, with the hours in the 1200-2500 hour range. Get it with a thumb, and the more buckets it comes with the better. You need at least a two foot digging bucket, and a wider clean out grading bucket of three feet. For size, the E32 is fine. However, those little 3500lb machines can also do the job especially if your footings are often just two feet down and you're loading into a dump trailer. I would stick with a canopy version Takeuchi, Deere, or Kubota. As a Takeuchi guy, I would suggest a TB016, or up to a TB135. For US dollar $25,000 gets something descent. Pay if off in a few years.

  9. #9Don.S2018-09-11 09:43

    I am in Montreal so not that far away and I can say I would never buy a machine with out a cab in our climate. Sure the AC is great but it's the heat you need in the spring and fall. Only size I could go with no cab would be 2.5 ton or smaller just cause they can go into buildings.

  10. #10Thorholt2018-09-12 09:39

    I have a Kubota U35 that I am going to part with, send me a pm if interested.