here is a pic that i found D6K
as anyone seen this yet?? what do ya think ??
Looks great and I think if Cat sold these alongside the hi-drive they might surprise themselves with how many they would sell. There is a big market in Western Canada for mid-size crawlers with ripper or winch and a six-way blade and although Cat is a strong #1 I don't think the hi-drive machine is really the best fit in my opinion. Doesn't look very big though... would this fit in the D5 or D6 hi-drive class do you think?
i think it would be good competition for the 700 jd and komatsu
i agree with ya pullpan it would deftinley give the 700 a run for its money. i wonder how they compare in horespower and weight...etc? does anybody have any info on them?
it kindas looks like it would be in a 5 low track atleast form that pic it doesnt look very big
I'd buy one.
Very nice indeed, it would be perfect for us.
here are a few more pics of a D5P D5P #1 D5P #2
D5P interior
I'm in love
which machine is in the right one?
Oh, I'm so excited! http://govbidspec.cat.com/cda/layout?m=40423&x=7 At last, the story can begin!
Wow that's interesting that its on govbidspec.cat but not on cat.com? Plot may thicken because it looks like the D6K has a lot less HP (125 hp v 150 hp) and is a lot lighter (28,500 lbs vs 36,500 lbs) than the D6N so is this more strategic product engineering Tiger? Aimed at a different class maybe?
Would the fact that it is an oval track take away some of the weight?:beatsme What kind of weight difference would an oval track versus a high track of the same model be?
Darn. There's still stuff I can't reveal... but the D6K replaces the D5N. If you read German, http://www.news-ticker.org/pm.php?aktion=nf&news_id=45760 , but otherwise, you can translate that with Babelfish translation (or just Google "cat D6K" and hit the "translate" link next to "Mit der D6K, die den Kettendozer D5N...")
So now you have the D6N, D6K and D6R... talk about confusing... remember when contractors talked about "bringin' in a six to get the job done" Now they will have to be a bit more specific
Wulf, D6R.....not for much longer my friend
Where's the rest of the pic?
What fun would that be countryboy??:bouncegri :bouncegri :bouncegri
:nono You're the only one having fun.
I don't understand, what is that govbidspec site all about.
I was wondering the same thing.
govbidspec.com is a Caterpillar website that was set up to assist governmental agencies in spec'ing their bid equipment. The "yes/no" bid sheet is designed to be used as a template for purchasing agents and make it easier to create a bid "spec" for certain machines. The rib here is the "spec" on this site is tightly written around Cat equipment. The idea is for Caterpillar to write a spec so tight around their machines that if a competitor wants to bid against them they have to take several "exceptions" to the spec and hopefully "out spec" the competition. If a purchasing agent is a straight shooter they will take a wide range of specs from several different manufacturers as to allow everyone to have a fair chance to bid. This is the only place I have found to download the full Cat spec sheet in PDF format as well. Make sense:thumbsup
LOL... Looks to me like lazy governmental purchasers can build a specification to order CAT machines without getting off their lazy butts and even considering other manufacturers...
:cool2 You got it Wulf!! Let me buy you a :drinkup
So is that only for the Gov. or do they offer that to all customers?
I am not sure of your question CB? The website is public, so anyone can go there and get specs. The bidding process and discounts given are usually unique to these governmental agencies. These could range from the US government to your local city, county or state. Does that answer your question?
I gotcha. :yup
farmboy, with all those photos you're posting, you can probably convince anyone online that you work for a CNH dealer, a Deere dealer, or, now, a Cat dealer. But the govbidspec.cat.com site is designed to try to act as a "front page" to get municipal contractors to look at Cat. Normally, Cat prices out quite a bit higher than the competition, and this site I think was designed to get contractors to at least consider Cat -- if not only because the specs are built so rigidly. However, ultimately I think this fight isn't Cat's biggest. I've heard of stories where a municipality will go to the dealer, asking for a bid sheet and a demo, and the dealer directs them... to the site. *shakes head*
Tigerotor, hmmmmmm... I liked my explanation better and so did farmboy I think... something seems a little unethical when the 'basic specifications' are so specific for instance here is one pulled from the D6K sheet... 'Each final drive shall have a capacity of not less than 6 gal' why is that? would the municipality suffer if it was 5 gal?
Wulf, Don't get me wrong.... every manufacturer out there has a bid spec sheet like those found on govbidspec.com. Every one of them is written tightly around their machine. Cat is the only one out there (that I know of) that has these bid specs on a public site. Good, bad or indifferent.....it is just the way the game is played. Tiger is correct though in saying that typically Cat is the premium priced brand and usually a governmental deal is largely (although not soley) based on price. This site helps the purchasing agent start thinking about the value of a machine and not just the initial purchase price. There are some good tools on this site in terms of total machine cost over the life of the machine. I think it is good that Cat has this site available for agencies to look at and compare machines. In my opinion the more information available the better. Unfortunately there are some out there that don't use it and are spoon fed by their salesman. I would rather make an informed decision based on information I get from several different sources than depend on my salesman for a sole source of information. Ok....I just stepped down off that soap box. No more ranting for me:yup
And it's been done that way since forever too. My Dad was with the city water department, and later a borough manager, so he spec'd and purchased some equipment during his careeer. I remember reading literature for various pieces that were under consideration, and they all had the same sort of "specifications" that narrowed it down to that one particular piece, and not the competitor's model. And I'm talking about when I was in grade school, like in the 1960s. I wondered why a manufactuer's literature would have a part that read, "the machine shall have such and such...", when it was their machine--they should know what it had. Dad explained it, in much the same way as it has been explained here.
Wulf -- I'm not saying that the whole process is fair. I was just trying to say that it's one of the tools Cat dealers use. Your suggestion that it's an excuse for people to order Cat without considering other manufacturers may be correct; I'm not sure of the breakdown on what percentage of governmental sales goes to Volvo, Deere, CNH, Cat, and Komatsu. I truly don't think, however, that most governmental agencies will pick Cat straight out. They know that they only have so much money, and with Cat usually running the premium, even this site won't sway all of them. And they're probably asking Cat the same questions -- if a competitor does indeed have 5 gallons of final drive fluid, what benefit does that one extra gallon have for me? To clarify perhaps another sentiment, my original response wasn't to wave the Cat flag... I think Cat can do better than just throw a website out there, and I don't think anyone's going to be fooled by the specific bid rules written. Hope I didn't anger too many people -- sorry for the confusion!
On the other hand, if that's the way the purchasers are, then Cat has some pretty smart marketing people. :yup
I'm still confused about the purpose of the process but its interesting dialogue. I just imagined that governments would build their own requirements like any machinery owners here I guess and then go shopping for equipment... sorry but it still seems a little sinister that Cat/Case/Komatsu or any other could try to capture the business this way.
You got that right... and there is a saying around here 'that no one ever got fired for buying CAT'
Well, being that the Govt.'s money is our money, I'll get a good nights sleep knowing that the extra money spent goes toward the great service and equipment Cat offers. And in the fact that if the equipment goes down while working on my utilities, it won't be too long before both are back up and going. Everything is Cat in my city. :yup
Maybe you're not aware of this part--If you decide you'd like to own a loader, for instance, you can go out and look at what there is, demo a few units, dicker on price with a couple of dealers, and decide which deal you like the best. Governmental entities don't have that luxery. Because they're spending taxpayer dollars, they're required by law to accept the lowest qualified bid. Now, whoever is making the decision about what they need is still going to be doing the same sort of comparing that you would be, but when it comes down to making the deal, they can't just write out a check. This is where the specs come in. Say Cat/Case/Komatsu all have a loader in the class they buyer wants, but the buyer prefers the CAT. If the specs are written just right, only the Cat will meet the specs, so the only qualified bidders to supply that loader will be Cat dealers. That's why Cat is more than happy to help write specs that fit the machines they have for sale.
Does anyone know anything about that D5P on the first page? It looks like quite a nice machine.
I've been involved in Fire Department purchases and that's exactly the tactic we use if we prefer a specific manufacturer of a piece of equipment we're interested in. If our experience or research shows a particular piece of equipment will better suit our needs than another, we will spec it very specifically so that only that manufacturer can meet the requirements. Putting specific specs out here on line is a smart move by the manufacturer enabling a municipality to tighten up their bid requirements to their equipment. I doubt it will be long before other manufacturers follow suit.
I read somewhere that the D6R series 3 was originally going to be marketed as the D6T. For some reason Cat decided against the T designation.
New D6K The new specifications on the D6K are out. They are at :yup http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37840&x=7
There is no D5P. It was the tentative name of the replacement to the D5N until Cat's branding guys finally decided on the D6K instead.
Does this mean that the D6K is replacing the D5N?
:yup :yup :yup Sure enough:yup :yup :yup For the rest of you....here is another teaser
Well thats an excellent pic of the "new and improved" fuel cap. :wink2 SOOO.......when do we get to see the WHOLE thing?
Oh, farm_boy! Posting two images of the two different sides of the machine. Actually, do you have an idea when it comes out? I already have the literature for it...
Me too!! :wink2
The D6T is now on the Cat website. So yes, the D6T replaces the D6R Series III. The main change -- the huge change -- is a dual-pump powertrain that will allow the D6T increased manuverability over its predecessor; hopefully it'll appease the Deere guys until whatever Cat's working on as the replacement for the D6T comes out. Perhaps hydrostatic, seeing how the D6K turned out? The line now is: D3G, D4G, D5G, D6K, D6T, D7RII, D8T, D9T, D10T, D11R. (In the US.) The D5N will still be marketed as a non-emissions compliant in regions in which that isn't an issue.
What about the 6N, are they going to keep it or get rid of it?
Crap! Yes, the D6N stays. D3G, D4G, D5G, D6K, D6N, D6T, D7R2, D8T, D9T, D10T, D11R. Sorry 'bout that.
I've never run one but the D6N seems like a nice dozer, glad to hear its not being dropped. Whats the difference between hydrosatic and differential steering as far as manuverability goes. i though they worked pretty well the same exept that one was hydraulic while the other wasn't? Just had a look at the D6T on Cats site. How come the lift cylinders are angled inwards on the PAT blade?
A hydrostatic transmission is generally easier to control -- rather than have preset gear ratios that each can spin at different rates with engine speed, a hydrostatic transmission allows for theoretically infinite speed adjustment from zero to maximum speed. In addition, it also allows the engine to spin in a closer band of RPMs -- in such a way that either maximizes torque or that minimizes fuel consumption. (Is this right, for those of you familiar with transmissions?) Differential steering units have a hydraulic motor to control steering -- but the transmission itself is still a torque converter design. The angled-in lift cylinders were actually introduced on the D6R Series III, and are likely a result of a redesign of the C-frame of the PAT. That's a guess more than it is a passing-on of design information. The D6R Series III was out by the time I worked at that division, so I didn't ask about the design.
I'm a bit confused! Why? Cat and all the Cat supporters kept saying the high drive is the greatest. And Cat will never go backwards in time, and make oval track dozers. Is it that Cat is finally seeing the writing on the wall? The competition emptys out their inventory of dozers every year. But Cat has a boat load of hi drives sitting around, I see it every summer. The Komatsu dealer couldn't get dozers fast enough this last summer. So why does Cat make these oval track dozers, when they themselves say it is no good? And again they are regressing. Notice how the sqaure sharp corners on the whole machine are now getting radiused corners. I guess they have to modernize that cletrac some how.
it cant be can it D8BOB by any chance
Yep, that's D8Bob. Sorry if I'm breaking an unwritten code of forum etiquitte by resurrecting an old thread. I ran a rented D6K for a couple of weeks this year and didn't like the hydrostatic "decelerator" pedal.... it slowed the machine, but the speed didn't pick back up when it was released, at least in a predictable manner. I didn't care for it at all. I'll admit I didn't spend much time reading the op's manual behind the seat. Any thoughts?
:lmao Seems he's made a name for himself. No rule....its good you brought it back up so it can be discussed since the machine has been out for awhile now. :drinkup
d6k hi the D6k has got a good write up this week in a plant and machinery magazine i subscribe to ,i will scan it later on today when i have a bit more time cheers graham
D6k heres is a scan of the write up in earthmover magazine i hope it comes out ok oops try again:bash
no problem!
You can email it to me if you want... my information is here: http://webtools.uiuc.edu/ows/PH?dom...c.edu/cgi-bin/phcgi/ns.uiuc.edu&Query=xwang22
Hmm... I got the email, but the scan is illegible for some reason. I can't do much with it, either.
no pictures (quote) Sindbad plant ,renowned for its work in remodelling ascot and redcar race courses using the latest in lazer technology , has expanded its fleet with two new D6k dozer's. this is the first hirer to take delivery of the D6k,s complete with Caterpillar's AccuGrade technology. Sinbads director,Steve Simmons,said "We have only been using the first machine for a few weeks but already my operators think its fantastic. With this obviously positive feedback from the people that matter, I am already confident that the addition of the two D6K,s to our fleet will have a major impact on the business". "As a specialist plant solution provider focusing on delivering a total package to our customers using the very latest in laser and GPS technology, it is only keeping up to date with advances in equipment and systems like the D6K and AccuGrade that we can maintain our competitive edge" Tim Ballard, Finning's dozer product support specialist said ,"since it's launch at the beginning of 2007,demand for the D6K has made it our most talked about product of 2007. The new model is by far the most sophisticated dozer of it's size on the market in the UK. (end quote) thats a lot of one fingered typing thanks graham
We have sold a number of these tractors in our area, and I have been out on a few of them. From a Technicians stand point I really like them . There is a ton of room under the cab, that removes very easily by the way. the drivetrain is very similar if not exactly the same as the 963D loaders. The cab is much better designed and easier to get in/out of. The undercarriage is much unchanged from the proven D5G, 939C tractors and the system one undercarriage brings it up to date. It has the C6.6 common rail engine which is a dream to work on. One customer broke a hydraulic tube and dumped all of the hyd oil out. Since it is a hydrostatic machine it would not move. When I got there the first thing he told me was the torque converter was out. I aggread, it definantly was out, left on the engineers kapkin. As for sophistication, I am pretty sure that is the most sophisticated tractor CAT sells as of right now. The A/C system is more sophisticated than most other machines.
IF I Could get a screened in cab, sweeps wide lgp undercarriage to workin the mud & slop & a winch on the back id buy a D6K for landclearing & To build ponds & lakes with later bulldog
The D6K looks a little small for serious land clearing where I'm from. It should be OK for ponds and such, but around here I think it will fit best in the construction market. It is pretty fancy compared to the 6Cs and Ds that we normally see around here.
That looks like a NC sticker on there... the one I ran was Halton's and had an open ROPS. Nice machine, except for the one problem I had with it I mentioned above. It took a little getting used to the blade angle control as a rocker switch. I fought that quite a bit at first, but it really reduces the amount of wrist work you typically get with a standard "T" control. It felt pretty close to a D5H for 'pushing power', if I can call it that. I would have preferred a hydrostatic system similar to the D3G/D5G, and I assume the D4G, have. I like being able to modulate the engine speed, and the visual indicator of "what gear" you're in (the 1-2-3 in a gauge) beats the digital display in the D6K.
Another nice touch is the door glass is lexan, it will scratch but atleast not shatter and ruin your clean cab. I think they are marketing them as a finish tractor mostly but we have some customers using them for oil field and brush clearing.
I'd say this is a machine to compete with Komatsu's new D51.