Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A question causing a headache

chidog · 2023-04-12 22:25

If this is improper I guess delete it. I think it started this last Saturday, a huge fire on a big fishing vessel near Tacoma Wa. Something was said about it that has me wondering. I thought I heard that it had 19,000 pounds of Freon on board, likely for the refrigeration system, since its supposed to be a fish processor too. I'd just like to know how this can be, since they have pretty much either removed or priced it out of touch for all the rest of us. I remember some sales that I goofed up on at one store 99 cents per can of R134 years ago. We can not even purchase it here now, unless certified. The price is through the roof for it as well. I think even new cars now, and refrigerators, freezers etc. can only have a highly flammable refrigerant like butane or what ever it is. Can you imagine if that type of refrigerant was used on that burning ship? So what is the deal? Makes me think of the paint issue as well, water colors for us, and quality paint for airlines, ships, bridges etc. Can you even get an oil base paint at a Cat dealer now?

Replies20
  1. #1skyking12023-04-13 00:21

    They phased out R-12 as equipment got replaced. A big ship like that is relatively ancient compared to refrigerators and cars. Converting it would be an undertaking, and unless it has a major catastrophe it will stay put in the cooling system.

  2. #2Cmark2023-04-13 00:45

    It will possibly be using ammonia which is much cheaper.

  3. #3chidog2023-04-13 00:56

    Since there is talk of running ammonia for fuel in trucks, does that mean its flammable? Would not be good in a ship fire like that. Nor would CNG that they keep talking about as well. The old timers knew what worked for it all, and what was safest.

  4. #4Cmark2023-04-13 08:01

    I'm no expert in commercial refrigeration, but many years ago I had a side gig at an ice skating rink. Even back then the plant was older than Methuselah and it was using ammonia.

  5. #5Delmer2023-04-13 14:02

    Ammonia is flammable, but not like propane or gasoline. If ammonia got to flammable levels, fire would be the least of your worries! I doubt ammonia fuel will go anywhere just because of the hazard in a vehicle subject to crashes. 19,000pounds of freon, or ammonia is in line with a medium sized slaughter plant. No idea if it would allowed to use ammonia on a ship, or if it would be R12 or 22 or something else.

  6. #6cuttin edge2023-04-13 16:29

    Where was the ship registered? A lot of countries don't care about safety or environment.

  7. #7chidog2023-04-13 19:09

    All the stuff we use CAME FROM THE ENVIRONMENT.

  8. #8cuttin edge2023-04-13 19:23

    Yeah, but there's such a thing as common sense. The days of pulling the plug and changing the oil on the ground in the driveway are gone. At least have the sense to dump it behind the shop out of sight.

  9. #9_Weldman_2023-04-13 20:25

    It’s R22 on there as I have done one of these systems, just not as large. The system I put in had about 2” copper lines, fun experience welding it up on a old Navy tug boat turned into albacore boat, I fabricated 98% of it for the conversion, it was first commercial vessel done that sent me down a career that expanded beyond what I could of imagined. Rewired it for USCG and ABYC, pulled transmission on it to replace clutch that’s basically giant love joy coupler “if I recall the name of it right” was a Twin Disc transmissin. Miss those days sometimes in PT Townsend, Sequim, Port Angeles, Neah Bay…

  10. #10Truck Shop2023-04-13 21:09

    The tip of nowhere and beyond.

  11. #11chidog2023-04-13 22:41

    That is just a stupid waste of energy. In my 60 plus years of fooling with engine powered items, I have never done that. I was into recycling long before it was ever fashionable. What is worse than oil on the ground, is salt used on icy roads, run off etc. into fresh water streams and lakes. Besides every time asphalt roads are paved tons of oil goes on the ground.

  12. #12JD955SC2023-04-14 06:04

    A few years ago when I was in my apprenticeship/degree program we had a very interesting character for the first semester. He drove an early 2000s POS wore out Dodge 2500 with a jerry rigged manual trans conversion and being hillbilly as hell he had a literal mountain of trash in the bed that had been there so long it glued itself. He changed his oil by going down to Walmart, parking over a drainage grate, and pulling the plug and letting the oil drain while he went into the store to buy his oil and filter. And unrelated but amusing at the end of our first semester our dealer rep/HR lady came to check us out of our apartments (dealer owned apartments so we didn’t have to pay exorbitant rent). She told us all the day before she’d be there at 10AM sharp. Well she gets there and not only has this idiot not packed a single thing he’s laying on the mattress in a wife beater and skidmarked tighty whities when she walked into his room. I was in the apartment upstairs and I heard an unholy noise come from her as she yanked him up by his ear and drug him into the living room lol For numerous acts of stupidity the dealer fired him after the first semester

  13. #13Truck Shop2023-04-14 07:37

    That is/was a perfect description of the common everyday garden variety truck driver for the last 23 years.

  14. #14cfherrman2023-04-14 11:37

    I have twin disc clutches in the draworks of my rig, 32" clutches

  15. #15joe--h2023-04-14 12:33

    Popular Science Popular Science gives our readers the information and tools to improve their technology and their world. The core belief that Popular Science and our readers share: The future is going to be better, and science and technology are the driving forces that will help make it better. books.google.co.in

  16. #16_Weldman_2023-04-14 13:13

    That’s the name brand of the transmission, it isn’t a twin disc clutch. Has a giant love joy coupling except with more than 3 interlocks more of 18 or so.

  17. #17chidog2023-04-14 21:13

    That oil thing above. Nowadays they act like oil and or an oil spill is worse than radioactive waste. Not only is zero common sense involved, there is never any reference to oil and tar naturally bubbling from the ground in certain areas, and in the worlds oceans, all that proves its an agenda supporting lie and nothing else.

  18. #18cfherrman2023-04-14 22:26

    Crude oil is fertilizer

  19. #19DDoug2023-04-17 08:37

    "Oil" in asphalt is tar, and I don't see the rainbow colors when it rains on the road. Not much runoff chemicals.

  20. #20HarleyHappy2023-04-18 10:54

    Around here the still oil the gravel roads once in a while. We also add oil in roadbeds before paving if not enough compaction. We used to treat with calc chloride but the greenies went nuts.