Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A Really Bad Hyd. Cylinder Repack Job

Tinkerer ยท 2009-08-12 10:48

Here is a photo of why some people should be arrested and jailed for picking up a wrench. Several months before I bought my backhoe , the previous owner had this hydraulic cylinder repacked. He had me remove five different cylinders for repacking. I always did his repair work in exchange for using the machine.He wanted them repacked by a shop that he had heard was pretty good at repacking cylinders although I could have done it for him. They must be real amateurs when it comes to removing a difficult gland. This was done several months before I purchased the machine from him. If you look closely you can see where the damaged pin hole actually distorted the wiper seal bore. Needless to say it leaked as soon as it was installed on the machine. Instead of taking it back and demanding that they repair it he said he didn't want to go through the bother of dealing with them. They also had dug into the barrel with their pipe wrench while removing the gland. As a result they either distorted the barrel or they damaged the big "O" ring between the barrel and gland. Now it is leaking. I just purchased a complete replacement cylinder from a salvage yard. I am just to fussy to tolerate owning something like this. To add insult to injury they charged him $1200.00 and change for this sorry work on the five cylinders.

Replies7
  1. #1willie592009-08-12 22:12

    I have to agree...that's some pretty bad work. Yuk.

  2. #2Phil2009-08-13 06:39

    Repairs are always expensive at a shop. I see the local hydraulic shop is up around $80 hour, and they are not rebuilding most hydraulic cylinders now due to liability. I couldn't even get packing once I told them what the cylinder was for. We are all living in fear of getting sued. Maybe a new gland would have been a better idea for that cylinder, probably only another $500 or so. I've seen some glands of that style, marked up pretty bad from previous disassembly. Rust can make resealing of an old gland difficult. I polish mine in the lathe and even then one can't be sure. Phil

  3. #3Tinkerer2009-08-13 07:42

    I found a complete cylinder at a salvage yard. I was told that it is in excellent condition. I don't have it yet. It should get here sometime next week. I tried to locate a gland only, but had no luck. I paid $375.00 for it / $411.50 with shipping. Not exactly cheap but after scrap iron hit $250.00 a ton a while back I was just glad to have found one. I emailed a man about a complete Case 680C that he was going to part out but , he said I was too late. Although the machine was complete he had cut it up and scrapped it. He said he had it for sale for months and I was the only person to contact him about it.

  4. #4Phil2009-08-13 17:03

    680 used parts are hard to find, not many 680's out either. Looks like a leveling cylinder you got there. I had a 580CK once with no leveling cylinder on it, worked fine. Good luck. Phil

  5. #5AussieChris2009-08-13 18:59

    That sort of workmanship really pisses me off. I used to use a local hydraulics repairer on the southern outskirts of Brisbane but not any more. They once did very good work but recently it's been looking like that job done for Tinkerer. After having a couple a cylinders repaired neatly and cheaply, I recently had the dipper ram done and they used some sort of chain wrench to hold onto the barrel making a big mess of the paintwork (what's wrong with a pin through the eye to hold it). They also chewed the crap out of the external slots in the gland nut. I've done less damage with a hammer and drift. Then I had one of the stabilizer rams done. The quote was for $400 to include a new piston rod and seals. Then they rang to say they couldn't remove the gland nut so I'd be up for a new barrel and the quote was now $800. When I picked it up it was $1100. When I got it home I discovered they'd welded the pipework onto the wrong side of the barrel so it wouldn't fit so I had to take it bake to be re-done. And then they lost the threaded pipe adapters that were with it. One can only assume the greedy owners didn't want to pay their good staff enough money and have now hired low cost labourers in blue and white striped aprons. No more work from me. Chris Brisbane Australia.

  6. #6Tinkerer2009-08-14 10:33

    Yes Phil it is a leveling cylinder. I don't understand why the machine has them. I have never seen a machine with them on it other than Case 680s. AussieChris, Your ordeal was downright sinful. There is no excuse to do work like that. I can only imagine how you felt while going through your ordeal with those idiots.

  7. #7Phil2009-08-14 18:19

    The 580CK and B models had a leveling cylinder, not sure about other models. I had a 680B with 2 leveling cylinders. The difference I noticed, with them disabled, was that a bucket, full of dirt or worse yet, rocks, lifted up high, tended to want to spill over the back of the bucket. Phil