Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A Sad Reminder To Never, Ever Allow Anyone to Ride in A Loader Bucket

Tinkerer ยท 2021-04-07 11:00

Two children died after falling out of a loader bucket. If you read the story, notice where it said multiple adults and children were riding on various parts of the machine machine. https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article250484791.html

Replies6
  1. #1mowingman2021-04-07 18:47

    Very sad. I saw that this morning on our local news. Like they say, "You can't fix stupid". Jeff

  2. #2kshansen2021-04-07 19:39

    So sad. And one that I see all the time is parents driving riding lawn mowers with little kids sitting on laps or fender of the mowers. One is my next door neighbor! I have seen both the wife and the dad doing it while mowing lawn. Dad is actually a superintendent at the ready-mix concrete plants in this area that are a division of the company where I worked. So I know he has had many hours of OSHA and MSHA training and is responsible for making sure the employees of those plants comply with regulations.

  3. #3stinky642021-04-08 00:51

    See it all the time on the "home video" shows and can't understand why an adult would put their kids in an excavator bucket and swing them around into a pond for fun...One little mistake and your kids get impaled on bucket teeth or lose a pound of flesh....

  4. #4skyking12021-04-08 01:03

    That's terrible, to run over your own children. When my brother was in high school one of his friends was driving a pickup with a friend in back, who reached around to harass him through the window. He had stood up, and in the horseplay he fell out and died instantly from a head injury. I remember when I was growing up people rode seated in the back of pickups all the time.

  5. #5stinky642021-04-08 01:14

    When we were kids, it was nothing to ride around with 8 people in the back of a truck, luckily I was the first guy in my clan to have a truck and was in the drivers seat...

  6. #6aighead2021-04-15 06:18

    Welp... I've given the kids rides in the loader bucket before, they love it. I don't know that I won't do it again but I do know to go very slow and not touch controls. For that matter I don't touch controls when anyone is too close to the machine, unless it's clearly understood what happens when things move. This is a sad story. On a somewhat similar note I saw, on reddit yesterda, a guy running around under an excavator bucket that was clearly not attached to the machine properly and as the at least 36" bucket was swung around it fell off and almost killed the guy.