Well Tuesday my ****in lap top blue screen crashed , and took with it half a project I was working on; at least it was backed up to an external hard drive last Monday week ,its only 3mts old got too hot they said in the suppliers, but I will have it back in 10 days Got home Thursday and thought I would get a head start with my project on my desk top it ****ing died and again I lost the project .......... Ok it was five years old so I went out and bought a new one with a quad core processor ???? dam its fast and has a very sharp picture but it appears I have lost a lot of my photos a buddy reckons they are salvageable and he has the equipment to do it but doesn't reckon he will be any help with the project .. should be happy for small mercies I suppose . Stock
Wow, stock, that's quite a ride! Glad ur up an going again. I think I would be a bit apprehensive about starting "the project" for a third time. It seems to be a computer slayer!
well stock think about this our fd radio system went offline for about a day because some sob crashed in to the radio tower so we had to dispatch all 911 calls by phone until they fixed the tower
I keep my laptop on a laptop stand to keep the fan on the bottom from being blocked in any way. It keeps it a lot cooler and makes it run a lot faster than if I just leave it sitting on a desk/bed.
that sounds a little abronmal if its 3 months old! what is the make/model?
You DID NOT have cell phones in the cabs, now... did you?!!... ... lol OCR...
Hp pavilion
I made a board for my laptop from MDF. It has 4 feet that match the bottom of the laptop to keep it up about 3/4". If you can get a piece of MDF, it is very heat resistant, so it won't store the laptop's heat and make it worse.
Try this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998928 It fixed my heat prob with my laptop, It plugs into a usb port and keeps the video card cool. (Blue screen Crash) Is Video card related 90% of the time.
Sorry Stock for anybody that has to go through that. I have lost 3 desktops and one loptop. I now use 4 copenhagen cans under the laptop.
yea we sure did only way to run calls for that period of time
It been nearly a week and a half since my laptop returned from repair,and I have decided to wait until now to write this,mainly to allow my temper to recede and even as I type it is starting to rise. Well to begin with, its return I was left without it for nearly 3weeks one of which I subsequently found it was languishing a the point where I purchased it ,so we hot footed to this Australian owned establishment the one with no go. I digress, we also carried our external hard drive to which we had used recovery manager to back up the system weekly so there was to be no loss of data ...... wrong ,it transpired that the operating system was wrong and during the repair it was erased and the correct one uploaded, as well as replacing a fan and heat sink. The result of the erasure of the operating system was that the lap top refused to recognize the files on the hard drive and no amount of coaxing or cajoling would get them to load even for the software engineer,and he gave up after an hour as it was his knocking off time and gladly stated he would look at it again if he got time during the week...... or the following week. With great restraint I packed up my traps and left the establishment and rang an electronics engineer who told me the only was to recover the data was to individually unzip each file copy them to a folder open them and take out what I want photo documents etc etc... to this end he called to the house showed me what to do ,twelve hours later umpteen upgrades, software down loads ,file extractions we were nearly right when a blue screen crash took place and when it rebooted it was back where we had started.This has happened twice since, so today I rang HP help line ready for an argument ,the person I spoke too was in South Africa and after nearly an hour she told me the mother board should have been changed so she would organised it and email the details and thus far I have received none . Will update as it happens
You gotta love HP. They have some of the most intrusive software out there and their hardware has a high failure rate. If you get it straightened out you are lucky. My son went round and round with them on a desktop for 3 months and finally took it back to a different retailer and traded it . Good luck.
Stock, There is a free program called "testdisk" that can recover lost files on hard drives. It runs in windows or DOS and can look for jpg's and other types of files in m any formats. It's a fairly straightforward program to use. It worked for me.
Thank CHUCK it was eventually collected after a lot of calls to HP and threats of legal action and harassment so now we are in wait and see mode, will keep you updated.
You need to go to a one stop geek shop (I don't know if thats what they are called) and get them to build you a computer. Custom built computers are 10x better.
Well the dam laptop died again piece of crap so back to XP for a while.
These guys give good step-by-step advice for PC troubles. http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forums.html
Sounds like you have been having a hell of a time. On your desktop you may be able to hook your hard drive up to another computer if the HD wasn't the problem in the first place. Then you could get your files off of that one. Thermaltake, Zalman, and Coolermaster all make good notebook coolers for around 20 bucks. One last thing is that HD's usually have spare sectors in them so if one goes bad it may be able to be repaired using CHKDSK which is a command line tool for windows. It check the volumes for problems and in some cases can repair them.
Desktop !!!!!! that thing now refuses to connect to the web and Hp now want it back to fix the non existent wireless card they fitted.I retired my old xp system about 18months ago and only for it I would be bouncing off the walls over the hef not being available to me. Darn thing is like using a mule drawn scraper it will move muck but not very fast.:bash
Just an update after 14 months of grief with the piece of crap laptop the store where I bought it replaced it with a Toshiba l500 satellite. So fair play to them as I was given a full purchase price replacement...
I know its a old post buttttt. My wife has had a similar talk with HP, just a little humor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md43_fjlY-M&feature=related
In Houston they stole the copper wire to the towers.
Well see as some one else resurrected this thread I can't fault the Toshiba............
Well as we're off the grid here I decided to build my own computer for less than a grand. The final price came out at $1,195 after I had to get a 512meg graphics card just to run winblows 7. The puter spec's motherboard Zotac quad core wifi CPU i5-750 ram 4 gig HD 2 off 500 gig LCD 19" wide screen DVD burner psu 8-32 volt DC 250 watt with a 350 watt surge I used my existing mouse, keyboard and puter box. This puter has run now for close to 12 months with no real problems apart from the fact trying to run most 32 bit programs refuse to run after install. The most frustrating thing was as I do electronics my ICD2 won't run on winblows 7 so although I can can program on it, to transfer my program to the pic micro controllers i use a 4 gig usb stick and transfer the hex file over to my 1 gig celery shed puter. Cheers Bryan
I bought a H P laptop a year ago. It was back to the shop so many times the only way I can keep track is all the bills. Finally HP took it back and rebuilt it, I had asked for a new one. They told me it was to old, three months. I bought a printer at the same time, H P, the computer wouldn't talk to the printer. Finally after four months and many promises they sent me the correct CD to load the drivers. Some days it works, many it doesn't. One thing I will never buy another HP anything, service was rotten, slow, and just plain stinks. Now the key board is acting up, maybe I will make a You Tube video of blowing it apart with a shotgun.