The little picture of innocence chewed the cord on my wife's laptop. She chewed the output cord from the a/c adapter which only carries16 volts. I first tried repairing the wire and had no luck so I got a new adapter($50) and same thing. Has anyone ever had these things apart? I am hoping it has a fuse inside the plug socket on the back of it. I have had plenty of pc's apart but never a laptop. It was trying to run on the battery but it is too low on charge to power it. Any ideas?
Wait, you mean you bought a whole new adapter like one of these but without the cord that connects to the wall for $50?
Yes, but I got the cord for the 110 with it. The problem is in the charging circuit inside the laptop.
Ooooooh. Ok now it makes sense. . . I would suggest googling it. I don't know much about laptops. Just make sure when you find something that you think may work before taking the laptop apart try and find another website with similar information. That way you will know that it isn't some random thing that somone is trying to get you to do that could ruin your laptop more. Try googling "charging circuit inside the laptop", It brought up a couple things when I did it that might be able to help you out.
There will be a fuse inside of the laptop,just downstream of the power connector.They are SM fuses (surface mount) and you might not be able to find the exact value that you need.I sometimes stack them etc to get the value that the circuit requires.In any case,it is delicate work and you may destroy other things if not careful due to limited room to work. Look on ebay for West Florida Componants,he carries a small assortment,that is a few values that might help you if you decide to do it yourself.Ron G
A word of caution, laptops can be a real pain to take apart. I've had some that I could take own to nothing and make work again and others that you can barely get the keyboard out with tearing stuff up. I wish they were easier. A google search for the service manual or instructions for taking your model apart could also help. What model is it?
It is an IBM/lenovo t43. I was looking at the screws all over the back of it. Don't want to take apart more than I have to but it appears the back is pretty much 1 big piece. It reminds me of a sony flat screen monitor I tried to take apart. That was not a good experience.
This page,if it opens properly will allow you to download what you need. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/s...Page.vm&operatingsystemind=49979&machineind=0 If it does not you will have to find Lenovo support and drill down to it by entering info as you go.Good luck.Ron G
First, I would remove the battery. Hook up the power cord and see if you are getting power. If that does not work. Let the system sit for a few minutes and reinstall the battery. Then try the power adaptor. Second: Is the lap top still under warranty? If it is call IBM and see what they can do. If not call them and see what can be done. Might be easier and cheeper than opening the lap top up. Serface mount means soldered to the board - unless you are familiar with how to desolder a component,m I would recommend against do it yourself surgery. Hal