See what's missing? the damn lock nut came off the impeller! This is on a Cat C-10. I swear Cat should have a buy 5 get one free deal on turbos. For want of a nut, 8 yards of cement were lost. Geez..
Just cement? That must have been one expensive load to have 8 yards of cement in there. The good thing is that cement doesn't get all that hard be easy to get it out of the drum. Concrete would be a different story tho. The concrete company I used to work for made up a auxiliary pump that has it's own motor and trailer that could be connected to the truck to offload it in case of engine or other problems. I'd try to get pictures but they just got bought out and I'm not sure if i can get in there anymore.
Oh man you said cement, that's a cardinal sin among concrete guys.
:lmao Good One
well even though the turbo is shot the motor would undoubtedly still run. Dump 10 pounds of sugar in there and save the drum at least.
Did you find the nut ? It could get past the compressor wheel and into the engine . I'd be worried about where it is now . Under a valve , bashed into the piston crown , or between the piston and bore making a nice little groove .
From the photo, it looks like the shaft is off centre. Do you think the bearings may have failed, the compressor wheel jammed and the turbine spun the nut off?
That's the thing... All that shrapnel got pounded in the chamber, unless there is an IC between turbo and manifold, that may have allowed it to fall out.
The Air to air catches most of the debris, I'll look for the nut in there. Cement/concrete, I still don't get the difference and I breathe it all day. I guess I should use the proper term, "Mud". Yeah, we killed the load and poured it out. An auxilary power source would be cool, we have jumper lines to have another mixer turn it if we ever need that, but so far we have always been able to kill loads or even transfer it to another truck. CMark, I can't say the true order of events, this is just the first time I've seen the nut gone, maybe I can do an autopsy.
Cement is just the dry powder, concrete is the final product.
Thanks, I really should have known that. I thought it was like, "motor" and "engine" or "Flammable" and "Inflammable"....whoo learned that the hard way!
well your still here so it mush have not been to bad
the nut missing did not cause what I am seeing in that picture...... those turbo bearings are wasted and the impeller is/ was chewing on the housing. does the turbo still spin or is it locked up? Maybe a dumb question but do you know for a fact it ever had a nut on it? I know it sucks to have this happen but Have seen a reman turbo get thru quality control before with a missing shaft nut.
That is a good one! here is what I always want to get when I had a batch plant. They can be strapped to the fender while you tow the truck. http://www.drumjumper.com/
I think , if the compressor wheel suddenly bound up , the inertia of the shaft would try and tighten the nut and not loosen it . The nut is usually a Nyloc nut , if the drivers have not been idling the engine down , the stored heat from the impellar could travel along the shaft and melt the Nylon .
looking at the leading edge on the impeller fins I dont see any damage to them If the nut went thru I would expect to see the leading edge of the fins damaged.
I found the nut up in the aircleaner. It was reverse threaded so I guess when the shaft, jarred to a stop, inertia spun the nut off and it raced up the duct and into the cleaner. Pretty wild.
That explains a lot , Cmark was right . I couldn't remember if they were LH threads or not . I suppose when the nut hit the deck @ 20,000 revs it would take off in a hurry . Like a son asked to mow the lawn .