Our Rock Truck has a loud bang coming from the front axel or wheel sun gear, And has left it immobile! Any sigestions where to start? Was thinking of pulling the covers off of the reduction gear in the wheels, all the ujoint's seem fine. Its a VOLVO A25DV 13793 Please any suggestions Thanks Mike
you'll have snapped a front axle half shaft, pull the end cap off, it'll have snapped at the sungear if your lucky it will have sheared instead of snapped, so only a small amount of damage, if it's snapped and you've kept moving..... be prepared for a big bill, it will probably have destroyed the planet gears sun gears anulus ring etc, at this point your better off trying to get a complete Hub Assembly to swap over.
Im intending to dismantle this today if possible? Have to find guide pins,blocks and push bolts to remove the planetary cover! As am trying this on site, will I have to lift and block the axel housing or can this be accomplished with the wheels on the ground? As this is our first rock truck it's all new for me If the planetary are remove would make it possible to move it to a better location to work on?
To do a cursory check you can do it with the wheels on and on the ground, once you've inspected, you can remove any debris and then it should move. if the hub has split it could cause you problems though.
Have discovered where the clunk is comming from! Thinking one of the planetary gears let go and caused all this carnage. The axel seems un damaged? What would you sigest to do from here?
What parts or part no#s am I looking for or be better to find a new hub complet ?
Time for an auction!
I only wish! I do have to patch it up and get it back in service!
Sorry, been on leave last few days, the easiest thing to do there is replace the lot with a complete hub assembly, if you can get one that is, over here, we have one left in stock, by the time you've bought new planetry gears thrust washers, bearings, sun gear, annulus ring, "dinner plate" ( the part with the 6 bigger holes in ) inner and outer bearings for the spindle plus top hat thrust in the end of the spindle all this is assuming you've checked to make sure the half shaft is ok and the diff is good too. not very often a planet gear lets go first, it's normally collateral damage from the half shaft letting go and then jamming every thing up.
The half shaft seems to be good! I drained the dif and only found fine debris. Am looking for parts and as yet not a lot of luck? Our dealer has changed to Nors and awaiting info on this. As it stands it's not common parts to be found?
so looking at that last picture, you might need a new spindle as well, there should only be approx 4mm each side of the shaft, the hole for the shaft should be 58ish mm
I still wont to lift the front to see if the baring's might have debree of have failed? The hole in the spindle is to center the sun gear I believe is what your saying sfrs4? I will check for 58ish mm as soon as I can get back to the truck?
It doesn't run on the centre, but if it's started to wear it, it'll weaken the nut and thread on the end of the spindle and you could risk loosing it all
Where can I find a socket to remove the nut at the end of the spindle? And or what can I use? Do I need to fab something or dose it have a Volvo part no#?
Hi Micmut, you're better off fabricating something, there is a Volvo Part number 11668004, but for 1 i believe it's only available to service engineers/authorised distributers, and 2 the price is phenomenal!
Finally able to remove the tire with help from the shovel. Made a socket to fit the nut! Was able to remove the broken parts to revue the baring's, only to find full of fine filings and fragments! So ordered new baring's seal and lock ring and clips. Will have to remove the calipers to remove the hub. Any suggestions are more then welcome as this is much bigger job then the wheel baring I replaced last week in our GMC ! Thanks Mike
Now seeing the damage should of got a complete hub! With what we might of saved on used parts its not as painful ?
Finaly got the hub off and it's a mess! New barings and seal on its way
It's not as bad as it could have been, the genuine Volvo half shafts are hardened, which is good in one way but not the other, they are more resilient to breaking.... but when they go, they splinter and the fragments can do a whole heap of damage, quite often the splinters jam into the planet gears and force them outwards a little splitting the anulus ring and if really bad I have seen split hubs, yours has come out of it fairly well off to be honest