Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

aarrgghhh

ForsytheBros. ยท 2008-10-16 18:45

one rock that fell out of 310G bucket which was actually much larger than it looked when i ran over it..........$14 /ton new transmission dipstick fitting..... $65 new dipstick tube........ $197 new fluid etc......... $150 fuel spent to get part......$50 lesson learned because i was too lazy and stupid to spend the 30 seconds required to push the rock out of the way.............priceless

Replies7
  1. #1biggixxerjim2008-10-16 19:44

    yeah dont want to get too greedy with it.... or stuff like this happens!!!

  2. #2stumpjumper832008-10-17 07:18

    Man, Deere wants enough for their parts. You could have punctured an oil pan and not realized it till the motor went... look at the bright side...

  3. #3Bob Horrell2008-10-17 12:13

    I have an aftermarket skidplate on the bottom of my backhoe. From the marks on it, I would say it has been a worthy investment. Of course, knowing it is there allows me to do things I might not otherwise do.

  4. #4OneWelder2008-10-17 14:16

    I bought my backhoe wjth a seized motor in it,because of a squished pan. I also spent a lot of time welding the bottom of a 950 cat loader trans that somebody decided did not need skid pl.

  5. #5Pelicanroost2008-10-20 22:31

    The problem with learning from experience is that you have to take the test before you are given the lesson. Pel

  6. #6Squizzy246B2008-10-21 08:56

    I'm reminded of clearing some trees with a Massey 185 tractor when I was about 12 years old. The 185 had a basic FEL with blade. I was pushing some smaller trees over and went too far forward, till the stump was almost under the front axle. A root from the tree stump came up inside the left front wheel and wiped the oil filter and housing clean off the side of the engine block. Oil gushed out like nobodies business. Luckily I saw it happen and killed the engine pronto. It scared the daylights out of me because I was keen enough to understand that I'd very nearly ruined a vital piece of equipment....plus I couldn't sit down for a week

  7. #7Pelicanroost2008-10-21 20:13

    My biggest problem was in getting used to the rear wheel steering on Miss Dinah. I knocked down a lot of stuff I really didn't mean too. Pel