I have owned this machine since 1988. It's a 1985 Had 400 hrs on it when I bought it now has 1079 hrs. Perkins A3.152 engine I have had some issues with it lately and could use some insight. Two problems right now 1. Powershuttle transmission is a wet clutch electric solinoid select. I changed the filters in 1997 and have 30 hrs on it since. I think the spool valve got stuck, would not move. I rapped it and it seemed to be ok. I sent an oil sample out for analysis . 13 gal to change it and you can probably tell I am not in business with it. SO the question is would 11 years do something to seals and or oil that would make the spool stickey? should I change the oil regardless? 2. Will not idle only runs at 1200 rpm and above. I think it is the lift pump which also got replace in 1997 , had debrie in the check valves. Then it would not run at all. Is there any other reason it will run at high rpm and not at idle? Also book say s over haul the injectors at 1000 hrs. Do I really have to do that? Not to many of hthese machines around it seems. 2.
** 30E update Transmission Oil analysis came back high in copper and lead . They said clutch wear. Recommended changing it . 13 gal for a private machine will be an adventure. Idle problem took out the lift pump. seemed like the diaphram was spongy.Replaced it with one from a rebuild kit. Put it back in but need a shut off valve for the tank line before I finish. Pretty sure this was the problem. Does anyone have an opinion on the injectors? 1100 hours very low usage Should I get them rebuild or does it not really matter.
hmm If its the same tranny as the 50hx yes I would change the oil as after that period a certain amount of water is absorbed which will cause the valve to stick ,there is a steel pin in the center of the solinoid whichcan stick or the coil may be failing .I have used massey fergie diggers and loaders extensivly and never had any trouble with the transmission except for the odd air lock on the engine driven pump Stock
update What an adventure. I will make a long story short 1. Bad diaphram in lift pump fixed it 2. Hugh slug of air in the lines thought I had it out 3. really old battery got a new one 4. somehow new bat had no charge and although I have 4 bat chargers none seemed to chrg but I did not know that 5. Pretty frustrated by this time. Hired a mech to help me $85 / hr 6. Nice guy. jumped it from his truck soaked a rag in gas and stuck it in the air intake started coughing 7. Bled the injector pump 8. loosened Injction line ran it on more gas rag Started 9. closed line ran fine. 10. Mech mentioned bat + cable too small. got new one 11. Figuired out bat charge charged it 12 starts fine. Mech was 45 min. Now I have an outrigger valve that won't return Broken spring I think should be easy after the no start problem and the machine is inside. I will also change the transmission oil although the oil report said there was no water in it, but after all 23 years same oil.
I feel your pain on the oil chang, I just did the hydrolic oil on my case 580k. 21.5 gallons... it was fun pulling the plug, letting 4.5 gal into a 5 gal bucket, plug it, rinse and repeat till it was drained... Let me tell you, it was a good time, luckly i'll only need to do it once every few years. Sounds like your doing the rite stuff to keep your machine going strong for years to come.