Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

? about breaking any six-way blade dozers

mudober ยท 2014-12-14 21:02

Hello forum buddies, Today I was on a job me running a 953B and another guy on a Deere 850K six way. There were four or five stumps that were big and cut low to the ground. The boss man wanted me to take them out, but it was muddy and i was going down to the belly pan, so I quit on them after about 20 minutes. Later on on the 850K guy takes one rite out then goes to work on another. Then boss comes hurrying over waving him to stop. I was thinking what happen. I ask labor and he said boss thought he was going to break the blade off. I have seen one blade on a Cat D5 come off in 24 years of work. On that one you could tell it had been broke a long time. Some of the bolts where broke around the trunnion and it fell off the ball. So I thought I'd ask you all what do you think? Do you guys believe an 850K will brake the blade off in mud pushing a stump? By the way this operator was not even ramming and jamming. So what are some of you other operators stories? Has anyone ever tore up a six way blade to the point that it broke off? I would like to know so I don't ever tear one up. Mudober

Replies3
  1. #1sheepfoot2014-12-15 00:02

    I have seen several destroyed by bad operators doing stumping and rock work with them. Stumps (large) cutting around them and then using the center of the blade is not a issue with them. Some just try it as a battering ram with the blade corners and will bow the blade/ brake the center pin and mounts. If I was doing a lot of rock butting or big stumps I would rather have a machine with push beams or a track hoe. A new machine with tight shims compared to a worn out unit with lots of play just compounds the mechanics of a failure waiting to happen. The PAT blades have come a long way and you should not be concerned about damage with good operator skills. That 850k has a strong blade setup.

  2. #2grandpa2014-12-15 05:13

    Boss man has a legitimate gripe. Any time over the last two decades that my 6 ways have broken, that's exactly how its happened. Regardless , he's the bossman and there isn't much future in second guessing him.

  3. #3DIRTHAWK2014-12-15 07:10

    You'll trash your cylinders if you're not using the center of the blade.. Can't figure out why all these 200 HP dozers are getting fitted with 6 ways. Anymore seems like a semi U on a 850 is a hot commodity.