I bought a really nice little Case 450B a few weeks ago, its in great shape with a great undercarriage(70-75%). I'v been working her daily and so far she has turned out to be a great little dozer. Every single little thing works on this dozer, even the brakes!!!lol She has a bit of blowby and I don't think she has the power she should have. She has decent power and will spin the tracks under a load but will only do it slowly. She was missing on a cylinder after I bought her. The owner had the idle set high and I didn't notice the miss when I bought it but once I got her home and adjusted the idle down the cylinder miss was deff apparent. I adjusted the valves( cold settings ) and the miss cleared up dramatically. But she still idles a tad bit rough, not much, but shes not smooth either. So I ordered an inframe overhaul kit for it a couple weeks ago and its supposed to be here today. So my question's are...... Is there anything I should be aware of when overhauling this engine ? Anything to look out for that's common with them ? I also purchased a model 19 winch for it.. I actually bought it once, then cancelled the purchase to peruse other options and ended up re purchasing it. It will he here in a few days. Any tips or pointers would be of great appreciation... thanks fellas...
I would change the injectors first, see if that cleared it up and improved power. For minor blowby I wouldn't get carried away, maybe drop the pan and roll a set of inserts in it, inspect the liners from below for indications of excess blowby in one or more cylinders. If it all looks good, button it back up and run it. Could be a burned valve of course also causing the miss, either have to do a leakdown test or pull the head to check that.
I did up a 188D motor years ago due to low oil pressure. the thing I was warned to do was replace the camshaft bearing as they can become a problem. The sleeves are wet from memory and can end u[ leaking and filling the sump with water. Apart from that I can't remember anything to watch out for other than normal wear and tear items. While these motors are not as good as the Case/Cummins motors that superseded them, they are a good reliable and honest motor.