I have decided that in the upcoming months I'm going to put some nice new stacks on my tractor. I'm thinking something like 7 or 8" with bullhauler tips probably the 7's though. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I do this little project, as it is going to be expensive. Maybe you guys can provide some tips or tricks if you have done this before. Maybe you can tell me that this will look bad or good. I'm also hoping that someone can point me to a decent place to order the parts I need. I'm gonna get a rough estimate of price for this, and then see where I stand. Hmm pay for my last year of school or buy stacks?? ointhead Thanks, Brian
I put duel 6" stacks on my 1973 white 4000 .I had a sheet metal shop "roll" them out of 1/8" aluminum,then weld the seam.If you want to make big custom pipes,this might be the way to go.The aluminum wont peel or rust,and it can be polished to a shine.Alot of people told me it would not work and it would crack up.They have been on the white for 15 years now.I guess you could use stainless steel for this to.
Here are a few pictures of my old white with aluminum pipes WesternStar.It was my first truck.It has a 290 small cam cummins & 10 speed tranny.It works great pulling a 20' trailmobile dump trailer.I dont use it very often,but it still comes in handy when we need it.Hey,come to think of it ,the western star and white are kin .We share the same cab.
I just put some 5" stacks on my Kenworth this winter, I think it was about 700 bucks for the tips, muffler, and muffler guard. I converted from a single stack though so with the purchase of the Y it's more like 900 bucks. Personally I would probably drop down to the 6", when I was looking at stacks the difference in price from 6" to 7" was huge.
Thanks for the replies. Those aluminum stacks you have came out pretty nice 25c. 440- I have seen your truck in a few posts on the site, its a nice lookin rig. I also noticed the big price jump, but I really want this truck to stand out. It is an older truck (87) and the main components are still real solid. I'm going to bring this thing back to top condition, so hopefully someday it will be a real head turner. I don't see many of these older Stars running around. Since it is older, I haven't seen any exhaust clamps made specifically for it. I think I'll have to get some of the clamps with mounting brackets made for a newer truck and adapt them to what I've got... Haha I have big plans... paint, visor, stacks, and others. Unfortunately my bank account is not that big lol.
Yeah I was going to shine my truck up but I decided to put the time and money into the engine. I haven't decided yet but I think I'm going to put a 500 cummins in it. Probably give it a cheap rustoleum paint job eventually though.
What do you have for an engine now? Personally I think if you are going to paint the truck someday, hold off until you can afford a quality paintjob. The truck looks pretty decent right now, and T800s can look really nice if you do 'em up right. I always figure go ahead and do what you really want, do it right the first time. If not, you'll be unhappy and you'll spend more money fixing it later. Thats my reasoning behind the 7" stacks now. If i got 6s then I know down the road I'll be wishin I had the 7s and I'd end up doing the whole thing again.
Talk to Freddy @ Pride and Glory Chrome Shop in New Haven Ct, tell him tonka told you about his place, he can set you up with what ever you need! www.prideglorychrome.com
dynaflex curves look better then bullhaulers
flat tops are where its at!
I am not sure what to think about large rain catchers?
i agree flat top are what i like, but we were talking curves so if i had to pick them it would be the dynaflex .....i know u know what im talkin about tonka
I am looking for mufflers that are quiet. I have a 359 Pete with a big cam 300 and a Jake with twin stacks right behind the cab. I put new standerd 5 inch mufflers , but no help. Can anyone tell me a decent price mufflers that will quietin this thing down? Thanks
The simple fix for that is run it in the rain, or park her in the barn :drinkup