Have an opportunity to get some work doing above ground pool excavations with the skidsteer. I have done patios, I would assume it about the same. I don't have a laser I figure you need one for this type of work. any advice or tips would be appreciated.
home cheapo has manual leveling rotary laser systems for like $400, 450 w/ a 3 or 5 yr replacement warrenty... Thats what I used when I need a laser...
Well, ya know, above ground pools have been around a lot longer than lasers. I wonder how they did it in the old days? (Of course, I know the answer to that question, since Dad and I put a pool in our backyard back when I was just a teenager. No machine either. A pin driven in the center of the pool location, a long 2x4, with a 4 foot level on it, pick, shovel, and a little sweat.) Come to think of it, a laser doesn't sound like a bad idea...
I have a dewalt manual leveling rotery , If I had the extra change I would buy a better self leveling lazer. You will all so need a receiver , most days its to bright out side to see the line it make if your more then 10' away. the reciever can pick it of no problem at 100' just keep in mind these are not fool proof , at 100' your average joe rotery lazer is + or - 1" the closer you get to the target to the transmiter the closer the tolerances get. You also need a tripod to set it up on..... Rechargeable batterys are a good way to go , but you need two packs . you dont get much warning when they die and I only get 5 hours out of a good 18v dewalt battery !
Well, a decent laser level does cost a dollar or two. If you won't be using it much you can get by with the old school, two bits of wood and a clear plastic hose with some water in it. Don't look real pro but it's cheap and needs no batteries. However you don't have to be spot on as some base material will have to be shipped in and compacted, this has to be level. I do recommend that if you are working to level, that you get a good laser level. I have a Hilti I bough off ebay and am very happy with it, except I can't switch off the level from the receiver. http://www.hilti.com.au/holau/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-11863
A ball of twine and a line level will work just fine for you.Masons have been using line levels for their work for generations.Make sure that the vial is in the center of your span while using it.They are great for transferring elevations etc.You could also get by with an hand sight level similar to the Locke level but their limit with any accuracy is only about 15' or so which is not a problem as long as you are aware of it.Ron G
Just to get started you could buy a simple eyelevel transit with tripod and measureing stick. Very affordable, Works great,and can be used for just about anything you level. Just have to make up spike to attah on bottom of stick to shove in ground to hold stick up if your alone. Guys have dug many basements with these for years. I haven`t had much luck with hand held eyelevel, never was very accurate.
I also used to have a dewalt laser, an auto leveling laser. it was accurate enough and very tough. It had been dropped, banged around in the toolbox never in the case, used in the pouring rain, etc and never had a problem. A fresh 18v would last me days, don't know why your manual laser eats them so quick.