A welding fab shop I do business with asked me to stop by and inspect a trailer they replaced both air tanks and repaired some structural problems on-a grain trailer to be exact. One air tank had a crack at the mount so it was decided to replace both air tanks which required removing the ABS controller valve and other valves plus drop the air hoses and ABS cables. Everything looked good and worked except for one major problem-the plastic clips that are OEM that secure the ABS cables to air hoses going to brake chamber for routing cables to wheel ends were broken trying to remove them, so they used black Zip Ties to secure cables to air hoses. THAT'S IS A NO-NO-DON'T DO THAT. What happens over time is the air pressure in the hose causes the hose to expand causing the Zip Tie to tighten even more which over time ruins the wires inside the cable causing fault codes and a inoperative ABS. And for the mechanic trying to find the problem more headaches, because the computer will show speed rotation at sensor and will also show a fault at the same time. It says it's working when it isn't. Below is a photo of the proper clips to secure ABS cables to brake hoses. And I know some of you have used Zip Ties. Get them off there. You can buy them from any truck dealer or any trailer dealer like Utility.
Very good PSA, Truck Shop. ! Much appreciated. Those clips are always getting swept up from the shop floor after a inexperienced tech changes a brake chamber or does an air line replacement. I’ve been guilty of ziping them, myself.
Bumped. Just cause it’s damn good information
I should have used RoBo Cops line---YOU THERE STOP WHAT YOUR DOING.
That's great, now I'm going to hear that line anytime I open a toolbox drawer.
No man the real pro move is to bust all the clips and then just leave all the cables flying around down there, then you save on clips and even on ties. Employee of the year material right there lol.
Colored zip ties would be an improvement. LOL
Yeah-it will show no problem hooked up on code reader. Jack and rotate wheel will show rotation ok. add brakes abs light comes on. chase that one a while you will.