I hope cross-posting is ok. https://newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1092177&mid=10004948#M10004948 This is probably the most sickened I've been learning about something prompted by regulation. Just maddening.
I can understand putting a hole through the MB 400's, those were Bermuda Triangles from day one. The Cat powered stuff no. It would be a case of run those till repair costs exceed the value of the vehicle. Which in this inflation won't take long. I would be willing to bet that companies accountant/controller had their nose stuck in that decision. Seen that happen too many times, involved in matters that don't concern their job title.
The feds want all the old trucks off the road. Port of Houston did that to several hundred N14 trucks around 2014
Just makes you want to locate whomever it was that ultimately made that decision, and hang them from their toenails. Is there no common sense left in this country?
And here I am piecing a sterling together because we're poor.
It’s ironic to see that happen. The public is encouraged to reuse, repurpose, recycle, but then we see perfectly good rigs being scrapped. Shameful destruction of valuable resources. Except the MB 400’s, of course. Like Subaru bragging about their zero emissions manufacturing, blah blah blah. If they were really concerned about the enviro, they would be remanufacturing parts, buying back old cars and parting them out, stop redesigning models every year, more parts commonality between models, re-think coatings so their cars don’t rust out so fast. Random thoughts.
Wow. Just WOW! That's disgusting. There are mom n pops that would benefit from those components. Better to have the family business die out. Are tax dollars subsidizing this farce at all?
Very heavily.
*****************
Well, I guess that makes perfect sense. Our government just keeps on printing it and giving it out like hand flyers.
This is the new and improved $600 toilet seat and $1000 hammer. We've all heard of the tractor deal. 1486s, 8630s, stuff like that. NOT a $100k Kenworth heavy haul tractor.
Were they green cab IHs? And, on another note, based on the conversation on another thread, I wonder if some engine builders pushed for this behind the scenes? Seems like the N14 was pushed out of existence to make the ISX our only option.
Ah, that's chump change compared to 80+ billion we gave the Taliban, not to mention the billions we're pouring into Ukraine. Man, we really got our **** together.
Cummins basically stopped supporting anything 855 related, they want to sell new not old.
And there's where backorder this and that come from. Destroy rebuildable cores and components. Fail to satisfy the need for the "new" and pile the blame on "supply chain issues" which you intentionally created. Sounds right
Just wait until they start doing this to autos.....and your only replacement option is an electric car @ $90K. It's coming soon!
And where is the company going to buy the replacement trucks?
Just wanted to post this again.
Guys-Eaton has been destroying the older pre-high torque transmission cases for the last 10 years. Most any core that comes in with large fill plug {1992 and down} gets hammered. Eaton wants those old boxes out of the system. Same reason stopping support for old designs. Sell new. Those companies couldn't give a damn about your small business.
This about sums it up
Knew a guy that talked/sounded just like that-problem was he was right most of the time.
When does the revolution start. Count me in.
They tax us, give our money away like it's going out of style but boy oh boy, they sure wanna know what you spend your coin on.
Tillamook Ice Cream-Banana Split.
I started thinking about this in the shower of all places the picture of that hammer destroying that engine about made me puke.
About as senseless as the braindead idiots that set the process in motion.
Big corporations have their hands in this too. Pay government to pass programs, vehicles/equipment get destroyed and the list of used parts to keep them disappear forcing you to buy more from them. Doesn't stop at what you see here, same happens in repowering fishing vessels, government will give a grant if you let them destroy your old engine/transmission to replace it with EPA one. Watched a whole fleet in Neah Bay, WA get repowered that way in Port Angeles WA.
Destroying perfectly functional 25+ year old trucks so we can replace them with plastic ****boxes that will be ready for the scrap heap after 4 years. Perfect gubbermint logic right there. I highly doubt we'll see near the number of 2022 trucks still on the roads in 2045 as we see 1999 and older currently on the roads.
I'm all for progress, cleaner planet etc but let it happen naturally. Everything has a design life and eventually only a small handful of hardcore enthusiasts will be bothered to keep the old iron going anyways. If a guy wants to haul OTR in an old 351 Pete with a 5 and 4 I say let him do it. When he retires odds are that truck will be retired too because a very small fraction of drivers and owner ops would be interested in earning a living with a truck like that anyways.
California has been doing this for years now. It made me very sad to see the machines in the scrap yards. We are about to run out of time on tier 3 engines T4I and T4F is all will be allowed in this fine state. Lots of insane regs here don’t know how much more I can take here. They are lining pockets faster than cleaning the air
You probably won't--at the rate semi wrecks occur. O-DOT recently posted it's winter time wreck report for 20-22. Of 39 pile-ups 35 were caused by semi trucks. The common thought amongst drivers is they are hero's of the road, no it's just a job like any other. How good they do the job is up to them but there are no hero drivers. Too many unqualified drivers allowed on the road plus too many trucks period. If you folks saw how crummy the trucks are built-not designed to go more than a million. Just like cars of today trucks are disposable too.
I blame the all the nanny systems for the drop in driver quality. Why think when the truck does it all for you? Driving these newer trucks is really not that difficult at all. I ran a few loads last winter in a truck with an auto and it really wasn't much different than driving a car.
And that is the name of the game brother. We, those who 'work' keep electing these half-brained jag-offs to keep stealing from us. It doesn't matter which side, they're both crooks.
I got out if heavy trucks in the early 90s. Things were at a crossroads then. IMHO. I noticed professional drivers were slowly becoming less and less. To replace them was an influx of unqualified immigrants. Somehow having a permit to operate a donkey n cart in their country translates to here's your fully endorsed CDL A. Have at it buddy. The middle Europeans were typically the worst. Buy a junk on a gov't stipend, pay no taxes, no maintenance and fly by night insurance. Get on our highways and kill people then run back to whatever rock they came from. That's what I witnessed out here in Chicagoland. I don't imagine it was any different in the rest of the country. Our government is our own biggest enemy at times.
Was it while you were washing mini cooper?
I don't care about the destroying engines and such. What I do care about is the average ten grand payment to the owners on rigs that aren't worth $2,500US at any scrap yard. That's the real waste of money. The other reminder is that the money for that came from a company based in Germany so I'm not paying a dime into it. As far as Mom and Pop companies go, many I've had to look at should have never been allowed on the roads in the first place. There is a hurdle to entry in any business which is based on a minimum amount of money and responsibility.
A high percentage of tier 1 & 2 are very worn out. For an example we've had a retired guy {76} doing local shuttle at the Port of Morrow, Boardman Or. We had one of the oldest left 2013 Coronado with just over a million miles on it that he used. Series 60 14L 13 spd with drop axle, he can't drive anymore. So it's back in the yard, the boss wanted a estimate on possibly repairing any issues. I told him-easy to find a place to start-it's finding the place to stop repairing, You want to keep it, prepare for a total rebuild from headlights to tail lights. It needs a new steer axle {Hendrickson Steer Tech Fabricated} bad pins, have to remove axle to press pins out, so I bought a NOS from Hagerman $1,500. Replace that so it doesn't have defective steering some small service items and hang a for sale sign on it for 25K. and down the road it will go. Be a ok truck for short stuff but is not worth the money to do major repair-exceeds the value. So technically it's a tier 2 just waiting around for the excavator with the hammer. Hot Damn that would be a fun time!
You can go through an old truck and make it brand new, still cheaper than a new truck
Mint condition means unused/uncirculated---Brand New is brand new-never used/uncirculated. Then there is that thing of insurance replacement cost of a old piece of equipment. If it catches fire is destroyed insurance will only cover real valve not the blue sky valve.
I would debate anyone on rebuilding something and it being better than new. A new truck has no tear down, no cleaning, no inspection but does have short cuts on assembly. The old truck has no quality control and you can’t work on it without interruption till it’s through. You have to pay full price for parts plus all the freight. All that and the government might legislate it out of existence anyway.
"I would debate anyone on rebuilding something and it being better than new". A few choice words and this thread goes down the drain. You people want to sit on a high horse and claim that this is the best path forward. Based on what? I just cannot wrap my head around it. Agreeing with this senseless destruction and waste of resources. This has to be the most disgusted I think I've ever been to date with a mentality. It's no wonder at all the the rest of the world hates this country. These poor bast@rds in third world countries slaving over coal-fires trying to reforge parts to keep trucks and equipment on the road or job because that's all they have, and people like you over here are in favor of smashing to bits and scrapping trucks that quite possibly could still be on the road or job in 50 years. I stand by my statement. The senseless destruction of perfectly good iron is the dumbest thing I have ever seen, and probably ever will.
My 1965 is insured for $150,000
If your talking to me-Sure I would like to see the return of the 359 with a B Model Cat, But those days are long gone. Engine cores and transmission cores are being depleted at a high rate. Problem is you can't fight city hall or state or the gov. So deal with what's left after the dust settles.
No, Mike, I'm not talking to you. But, the comment about not fighting city hall, I don't believe that either, and pretty soon were are ALL going to be the dog with his chain wrapped completely around the pole. And very few of us are going to know how we got that way. And THAT is the truly sad part.
The trucking industry will keep dealing with it but it is the uneducated consumer that is picking up the tab for most of this stuff while they ask for more.
414 the truck I posted about above, that needs to go away. It is a glider, came from Freightliner with a recon 14L Series 60. It had liner/counter bore repair sleeves installed at that time. That engine at 575K started pushing coolant, It got a reman head and piston liner kits, at that time the counter bore repair sleeves needed to be replaced again. {It was the last time that block could be cut, it's life is near the end. So to save it will be a complete and that's if you can find one and the price is out of this world. It's a tier 2. Big business is the problem, they own the system and have everyone in power in their pocket. that's as far as I will go politically. But there is another side to this-Is the thought of rebuilding a piece of equipment/ truck going to be done with all OEM parts or aftermarket. The price of OEM is not realistic. So then it's left to aftermarket-the result of that is propping up China. And spending money on half baked parts that are way over valued. When it comes to trucks the real bones/frame has to be taken into consideration. With the amount of deicing fluid and salt used these days most frames that are 20 years old have considerable corrosion between crossmembers and huck bolts. Fatigued frames is a common issue that most don't address. Not to mention many look like swiss cheese from all the holes drilled. Drop axles added to a tired frame to haul more just upping the stress. By the time a truck reaches 1.2 million miles the wiring harness air system is also fatigued. Drive axle housings start to crack at spring perch from fatigue. Truthfully the whole truck is fatigued, even if parts are constantly replaced it never ends, it's a rabbit hole. Neither of us would drive a third world repaired truck {To a Buzzard Fack}. They spend most of their time along side the road repairing in the dirt. But that's all they have and not much else. Companies are slowing or stopping support for their old designs/products. That doesn't leave many choices. I agree punching holes in engine blocks is nuts, at least run it out. When t's time blindfold it lead it out back of the shop pull out the ACP and finish it off. And be glad it did it's job while you had it.
I appreciate the comments, T/S. Based on what you do, I get it. There are a lot of trucks that are ready for the crusher. But, there are far too many being wasted, and that waste is being perpetrated by people that only see the world through one lens, and that SOB is pretty much blacked out. Emissions have steered this ship into a channel that has one track. I'm not entirely sure where that track leads, but I can promise anyone that reads this it's not the right one. All the members of a certain faction are willing to just swallow this huge pile of **** whole, and insist that there's nothing to be done. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. But, the more people that lay their forehead on the ground and give in, the less there will be standing when the time comes. And it will come. I just hope there's enough left when that day comes. Otherwise, *** are we doing anything for.
The human race is always moving forward. You might look in the mirror to find the sand.
Not moving forward John but back to the future like 1938. For those of you who can't understand why all this crap is happening start looking at the share registers of the company's involved and I'll bet you a $ to a nob of goat **** that 2 ESG investment company's have An 8%-10% share holding including the US Federal Reserve and big pharma etc.
Odd I just read the reply's, And I just got a delivery on the replacement axle for above tractor from a major salvage yard that is the #1 distributor of Freightliner Surplus. I had him read this thread- His reply-Daimler just bought up a van load of Series 60 cores from them, not to be reconditioned but chipped.
That kind of makes me ill. I hope he got top dollar from them. But I guess if he is willing to get rid of them in this manner, regular customers must not be buying them real fast.
All this crap is happening because people like all of us ignored what was going on with politics twenty years ago. At that time I was hired to do research into the Tier system and the production of engines. I was asked to find out what it would take to bring an older engine up to new regulations. What I found is that manufacturers and government grants were being paid to universities to develop the technologies in use now. When I inquired to government agencies about what I could do to modify imported engines to new regulations, I was told that only the manufacturers could certify their engines. I had to advise my client at that time that the issue was a political situation and that it couldn't be changed at our level in the system. All that could be done is to modify and adjust to take advantage of the incoming regulations. All any of us can do now is whine and cry the blues because "government" is screwing us over. Problem is that we have to look in the mirror to see who government is.
It's not one or the other. We're not going back from emissions, maybe they'll work better and we'll never think about emissions unless they get stolen, or maybe they'll continue to be a major hassle, doesn't matter, we're not going back. But that doesn't mean it makes any sense at all to destroy stuff. Buying up parts to destroy should be prosecuted as the anti competitive practice it is. Cash for clunkers and whatever this VW greenwashing program is should be prohibited. It's not complicated. There are buyers that can continue to use these older machines efficiently, they won't go into TS's fleet, but they are an improvement on some truck out there that would be parted out in turn.
There in the business to make money just as any other business. Made more than scrap price, how long would be necessary to set on parts like that to turn a profit in the hope someone buys to save from from his own excavator with hammer, plus the cost of scrapping and loading himself. Which the price of scrap down with the cost of fuel and labor-he was way better off to sell to Daimler. Below is only a 10th of the size of his yard.
And that's only a part of the Cat pile. The Cummins and Detroit is just as big. There is a area of nothing but Eaton transmissions over a 1000. He travels the northwest buying trucks from fleets for salvage, up to 25 at a time and that doesn't include the one's and two's at a time. Look at this way he is a recycler doing his part dismantling rigs for people who have older trucks. But he can't set on every part and piece, he has no choice but cull the yard to make room for more. Want to save some--Call Hagerman Truck Salvage-Allen will be glad to sell to anyone, he likes Frog Hides.
where is this guy located. I need a 14613 back box OR a whole trans if I can find one ? unless you know of or have one sitting around
Hagerman Truck Salvage, Umatilla Ore. ask for Dwayne Smalley. Or Randy Gibson 541-561-5456.
The engines being sent to the scrappers or manufacturers are essentially sales of assets. You buy something, you are free to do whatever you want with that asset. In the case of the government strategy to retire old engines and/or trucks, it appears to me that they are paying far more than anyone else could consider paying for that asset. That's the part I object to even though is is Volkswagens money.
thank you sir . hope you had a great Christmas
BULLSHI T. The ridiculously exorbitant core charges that the engine and trans manufacturers have been gouging normal people for, only so they can hammer said piece to bits is borderline theft. The fricking manufacturers have created their own forced replacement plan. These asholes for years have played us the sob story they have to charge these high core charges to maintain a supply of engines to rebuild. I would bet that they would received considerably less core engines if people would have known the truth. And, furthermore, these core charge issues can probably be laid at the feet of the mouth-breathers in charge of laws and regulations. Probably received $xx.xx for each engine destroyed. It's deplorable.
What are you going to do about it???
Considering my fed senator votes for omnibus, I might run against him, probably lose but gotta try
Here is one idea, cut a hole in the block and when "they" aren't looking, put it back together again, had me laughing
I had this idea a while back, but how tight is the enforcement? I wonder how big a risk is it for him and his customer, him putting it on youtube like this? I wonder if you could bring them to a state like SC, which as far as I know, has no real interest in emissions compliance.
But I bet someone would pay premium dollar for 414 just because its a glider. I think a lot of truck guys forget that the engine is just one component that makes up the entire rig. Like you said, a 20 year old truck is likely going to have frame rot, diff housing rot, old wiring, old airlines etc. That'll nickle and dime an owner too. To me, a re-rail and new wiring/airlines is more valuable than a fresh 6NZ in a rat-bagged truck.
I had the same thought, my guess is that he is so disgusted with this whole situation he just gave up caring, you know he lives in a far corner of Ca which is totally different than the coasts where all the rules are made and totally unrepresented in government.
We drove through the Surprise Valley and Cedarville several years back with my auntie, and we sat in the middle of a cattle drive. It was delightful. That little corner belongs to Nevada. Some lines on the map are just dumb.
That's a little east of him, he is in Butte Valley which includes Dorris and has some connection to southern Oregon, Klamath Falls and whatnot but I have seen him come all the way to Reno and my neck of the woods for fire repairs and whatnot.
yes, I gathered that from the door of his service truck, but I was commenting on that absolute geographic situation with the Surprise valley.
Getting back to overhauling a rig is cheaper than buying new, ONLY if you do all the work and are not on payroll, yet then are still out your effort and time used in doing that where can Buy a New and be making revenue against a Warranted product that only costs maintenance items. How can I state that, Been there doing that for two years, yet still has the 18 in it that came in it and the third members that were in as received. Frame is rust jacking between the double rails, cab has buried corrosion issues I am aware of where the unit is at the end of the Tier 2 period 18 years old 2005 built late 2004. Been told some parts becoming non existent, been told may not be able to access some states as CA or WA as have Modified Emissions Platform and I could care less, They say No Entry I will be glad to spend my moneys in other states not playing, will also place on the Stigma Inducing internet said refusal to steer even more away from tourism. Tier 1 1994-2000, Tier 2 2001-2006 into 08, Tier 3 2007--08 on specific engines, Tier 4 most 2008 then 09 thru current. Not all states are playing and while is Illegal for a company to be paid to delete or modify a engine, there is NO Law that states a owner cannot perform the modifications tasks themselves, right down into Gasoline and Light Diesel machines; Modified Engines Transmissions, Home Built street rods Etc. Technical Prowess is to each his own. I will add this adventure of mine is not a revenue machine, nor will it be in my hands.
Only thing is, there are a multitude of regulations and agencies keeping the boot on anyone's neck who would hang out a sign and start rebuilding older rigs for independents/small fleets. If it wasn't for the threats of ruining your bank account and/or visiting your shop with armed goons, there would be a large and profitable business in that sector right now. As it is there are still quite a few operating on the fringes and then can never stomp them all out. Eventually more and more citizens are going to get sick of being stomped like this and things are going to change. I just hope it isn't too ugly. ECMs/computer programming, getting new blocks/parts cast in Mexico or China or even USA, it is all within reach of the common small-medium business now, the only thing holding back reason and sanity is the bank accounts and threat of jail.
Second page second paragraph. https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-12/documents/tamperinganddefeatdevices-enfalert.pdf
No one in the US has been exempted from applicable EPA rules. In fact EPA has come down hard on those manufacturing and/or installing defeat devices or deleting emissions controls. States that don't comply with applicable federal regulations risk losing federal highway funds. https://www.overdriveonline.com/reg...cracks-down-on-emission-system-defeat-devices In fact the EPA has finalized new regulations set to take effect in 2027. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/20/business/epa-heavy-truck-emissions-rule-climate/ Now if you want to have a say on this issue, I urge you to contact your state and federal representatives.
As far as obtaining major components outside of the US, I went through this years ago. If it wasn't built by the factory here, it won't have factory identification and the factory won't own up to it even existing. It isn't an issue at the moment because there isn't much call for it and no one thinks they are losing money to people who might be doing it. When word of that happening gets around, it will be stopped. Don't forget that the manufacturers were part of writing those regulations.
So far have been able to stop businesses but seems there is a sticking point as to enforcement, inability thereof as ends up in court as to private person with their own property. SC is no longer playing open ended discretionary rules games with these people. Has to be legislated. Previous rules are being invalidated.
I can see what you're saying. Its pretty easy to enforce the rules on a business. Send in an enforcement officer asking a shop to do a delete and they're busted. Someone decides to do some modifications to their own truck in the backyard its pretty hard for the government to know they did it unless they run a smog test or a close inspection of the engine.
Will stop there, nothing more politically sensitive here.
Said vehicle will be void for registration/or license. That's how it's handled after the fact. Normally found in a area with emission testing trying to license a out of state vehicle.
I've seen(ads) old trucks for sale that have been gone through or 'rebuilt', what law would he broken by fixing up a old truck and selling it?
MO state inspect is all that is done for license Same in IL No state emissions requirements outside of that as is not Gas engine as that is all inspected for emissions. As I stated MO does not play with EPA with the big stuff at least not yet.
None-You could fix up a old mechanical, tier 1 tier 2 or 3 in California and sell it out of state. Your just not going to get license for it and drive it in that state unless you have it as a collector item and only so many miles allowed. You can fix up and sell all the old trucks you want.
No testing done here either. Being perfectly honest, I bet at least 10-20% of the new trucks I see driving around have nothing but pipe between the turbo and stack.
Key word for any state--{yet}.
They better hang on to the stuff removed-if later on they try to trade it in. Down here a dealer won't touch them.
That part is a bit blurry here. I've heard its hit or miss with the dealers on trade ins. Much of the stuff around here is heavy duty for the oil patch and it seems like a lot of companies just send the iron to RB when its at the end of its life.
I'll keep rebuilding my 2007 because no deletes needed, no EGR, no DPF, no blue juice.
MO got threatened with cutting off Fed Highway funds, that got serious attention, got stopped as a overstep in process Not Allowed as a weapon against the states. Emissions Testing on autos is exempt after 15 years, open ended as can have major mods engine swaps and cannot force owner to scrap, trade or sell if did not wish to. State told fed pound sand!! Still standing ground there and holding, state autonomy given in Constitution. Was to be a reg that any major upgraded machine legal for road use would have to pass regs for year reconstruct occurred, that also got squashed. Overstepping authority.
Here's a fact about DPF/DEF--We have two rigs right now that have over 450,000 miles on them, never had any issues with the DPF or DEF systems in either one. The reason--These two trucks the drivers just happen to live in the middle of their regular haul route. Both are home every night, neither one will idle those trucks because they don't like A/C. Both use the Wabasto cab heater when parked. Both trucks have to make a hard pull over the Blue Mountains each day. If those drivers are not in their trucks the engines are off and doors locked. Excessive idling is what screws with the emissions systems. And one has a X15 Cummins the other a DD15. Neither one has ever had any warning lights come on, the only warning is re-gen once in a blue moon, it just doesn't happen with these two rigs. The rest of the fleet are constant issues.
Typical for long haul, not so typical Vocational industry machines. Lucky to get 40-50,000 miles on a dpf where multiple regens fail require dpf exchange. Sensors fail repeatedly, warranty repairs on trash, mixer, dump and other local haul trucks are horrendous.
Well everyone in the other 48 should move to MO.
Is as straight stacks are ignored, turbo qualifies as muffling device even as not one. Do all mods stop? Suspension mods, glass mods, lighting mods, even excess chrome not built with? Really gets into private property rules, is yours, want to paint a blue house Mauve, go for it. Want five dusk to dawn lights, your choice.
That's where the smoke police come in. A puff of smoke, a blue light, a sucker pulls exhaust gas through a white filter and Kemosabi calls a tow truck. Hi Ho Silver. I don't know what to think about all the people crying climate change. I do know that plenty of people had about 24 inches of sea water in their houses earlier this week on a king tide that has never been that high before. The news media grabbed onto it. California, Nevada and Arizona are being told to cut water consumption or the feds will do it for them. The new media grabbed it. The Mississippi has traffic stopped for low water. It all makes nice television. What are we doing to counteract that publicity? Autos are not checked anymore because enough cars have been taken off the road that their pollution levels are considered not significant. They were only checked in the first place in areas considered non attainments. DMiller, give me a hint on where to look for coverage of Missouri telling the Federal Government they can't do something. So far I'm drawing a blank in my searches.
Or OK, IL, KS, IA. Are several do not play.
Personally I think we're at a point of diminishing returns when it comes to emissions from diesel and gas engines. They made huge leaps in emission reductions from the mechanicals in the late 80s/early 90s to what we have today. Its not going to be as easy to make reductions like that going forward.
John, MO was one of the 17 states that flogged the EPA with Texas on a filing in SC as to the Clean Power Plan. Part of that assessment was the department overstepped boundaries in controlling ‘suspected’ climate changing emitted gases as CO2 or Nitrogen Oxides/Dioxides based on estimates or approximations not anything that could be absoluted. SC ruled all rules promulgated by EPA on those basis were vacated as required by law to be Legislated and Congress had no privilege to give EPA the power to bypass that. EPA is still pushing the rules but the States retain their final autonomy authority under said ruling where MO as a few others are pressing the point.
EPA has been issued some small reprieves by current admin, did not give free rein as in past. Do not expect much sympathy of House next year either. Public are calling for tar and feather events for the scourges the department placed on them.
I had a work truck for 35k miles, never let it idle, 0 problems with the truck. The other 3 trucks that people had idle all day were in and out for def problems. I'm in ks, nobody gives a f about emissions, no testing, no nothing. The only inspections is for the vin if you buy a vehicle from out of state to make sure it's not stolen.
I have never heard of any emissions inspections being done in South Carolina, not enough to annoy anybody, at least.
I hate it when people say things like "the dumbest thing yet" or anything like that because that seems to be a challenge for those in authority to try and do one better.
We need a "double superlike" or similar, button.
Causes gloom, despair and agony, especially the agony part.
I found a few things about the Clean Power Plan at this link. https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/clean-power-plan The court case is West Virginia V EPA and it mentions no other states. The case was decided by claiming that certain cases had to be affirmed by congress. The current state is described at this link. https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/clean-power-plan What I understand about the plan was that it was a measured way to step away from the use of coal into natural gas and then to alternatives. The Trump administration supplanted it with the "The "Affordable Clean Energy" rule which was struck down by the courts recently. None of this has anything to do with emissions from diesel engines. The only lawsuit other than the West Virginia one is this. https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/...-allowed-california-to-set-vehicle-standards/ It is claiming that California shouldn't be allowed to set lower standards than the rest of the country. The Trump Administration halted that but the current administration reinstated it. California has been given that ability since the sixties and I don't see it going to change without an act of congress. So far I have not found any states that have sued the EPA to loosen their controls on internal combustion engine emissions. Most of the suits against EPA are claiming it is not doing its job of regulating hazardous substances. I did find this; https://knowledgeburrow.com/what-states-require-diesel-emissions-testing/ It gives the states requiring diesel emissions test as of August of 2020. In the nineties and early 2000s when I did my research, the preferred mode of change was to let diesel engines die out of old age. I don't see that changing any time in the next five years. I do think that smokers on the highway will become a target when they become a revenue source for local and state coffers.
Both the links you provided John are the same/only ones I found after a 30 plus minute search. This link below that I already posted lists some of the businesses/people charged/fined for vehicle emission tampering and or selling tune kits that bypass emissions one was a hefty fine. https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-12/documents/tamperinganddefeatdevices-enfalert.pdf
I remember taking the dump truck to get emissions testing before they stopped that here. The young lady read her script " is that the original 14.6 liter engine?" That sounded so funny, 14.6 liter.
Wasnt it in the late 90s that CA started the cut frame/hole in block/taxpayer$ and you buy a new truck? A friend and competitor took advantage of this. I couldnt. The 1st thing that occurred to me was, a young guy with good mechanical skills and little capital, would not be able to buy an old truck, work on it day and night, go into business and work like a rented mule and make a living from his labor. Glad I'm on my way out..............
Thanks for the heads up Truck Shop. Here is the correct link to the site explaining the West Virginia v. EPA decision. https://www.csg.org/2022/06/30/supreme-court-strikes-down-clean-power-plan/
Those in charge want no part of the average man doing things like this. The sort of people that are willing to take risks like this are terrible for business, because they can't be told what to think. Edit: Oh, and almost forgot the other part. Ooops. Can't talk about that part.
I don't remember that but not to say it didn't happen. But the second part of your message, has been going on for decades. They called it "cutting off the lower rungs of the ladder" after you have already gotten up somewhat.
See my post above^^^^^
Sounds like yer describing Spud. BWAHAHA
Kind of funny as to the Dealers refusing working on these. I explained my engine to the FABICK Cat shop foreman as a Frankenmotor, he said get loads of those every year, openly stated is typical of the ACERT Series here that become a previous version!!! That shop does not decline working on them, he noted when plug into processor they treat it as such, mine shows 6NZ, will be handled as that and do not care the block or accessory components show BXS. Also stated did not care was a 05 with a 6NZ s/n, all too legal to transplant any engine to any truck here.
Here-dealers won't touch it. Most have a notice hanging in service dept. {If your truck has been altered work will stop and truck towed out of shop at owners expense}.
Not so typical, 95% of trucks setting at T/S and docks are idling. Plus a high percentage live in them.
If everyone just went the way of sheeple this country would collapse. It's just as much those who risk it and think for themselves as just as much as the businesses that are already formed that generate income for others an not just for themselves. Everyone complains of them crushing these such beautiful machines, how many have ever thought, hey how about I build my own. Instead of complaining how much mortgage is and such I though hey how about I build my own house, until all resources are depleted such as raw land and metals we all can build something from the ground up if we are determined and ready to sacrifice some for it. It's why I learned to weld, forge, work materials cause I don't think if I had the money I could buy this, I think hey if I had the materials I could build it and build it my way for my purpose. I'm a catalyst and I know it, so might as well own it, make it work for me and be ready to put a fight up when need be or help when need to be.
I agree, many businesses have forgot the average person/worker is their greatest asset not the computer.