Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installing oversize flywheel housing dowel pins

workshoprat92 ยท 2022-12-27 19:35

Got a cummins engine i am installing a new flywheel housing to get the starter on the side I need it and also for a more standard motor mount rather than the cabover style they had in 69. So I have the flywheel housing installed and dialed in with a dial indicator. Bolts are torqued to spec. Now i need to do the procedure to ream the locating dowel pins to the larger oversize pins to correct for the misalignment of the dowel holes between the block and the new flywheel housing. I have found the procedure here which has all the numbers for the tools. https://www.dieselmechanic.info/cum...ywheel-housing-redowel-to-cylinder-block.html The tools are priced to high so im gona build em. Already have part of it built. Problem i now have is that i cannot find the part numbers for the pins. Cummins is no help whatsoever as they cannot find anything without a serial number. Thier parts books dont show oversize pins even though there is a technical bulliten describing the procedure. Guess it would have made to much sense to include the part numbers in the bulletin. The question I have is do any of you know the part numbers for the dowels? Do any of you have any experience installing the new dowels in a new bellhousing and can you share any insights on the procedure?

Replies4
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-12-27 22:02

    That last dozen I did-I just had a machinist friend make them.

  2. #2Skeezix12023-10-18 20:15

    Workshoprat, or Truck Shop, where can I find the dowel pin procedure you mention?

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-10-18 21:08

    https://barringtondieselclub.co.za/...-n855-bigcam/bc1-bc3-workshop-manual-abby.pdf

  4. #4Skeezix12024-08-01 14:15

    Lost my hard drive on this computer, sorry. ThanksTruck Shop.