Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Accessory Plate for Logsplitter

Old Doug ยท 2016-01-03 11:30

I was ask to build a splitter for a skid steer. I dont remember what kind or size the skidsteer is but it has a 4cyl cummins. I have the splitter part built it has a 24" stroke now i need a accessory plate for it. Do i need a 3/8 plate or would a 1/4 work? I plan on welding a 1/2" 12"x12" plate to the end of the splitter were it will weld to the plate. It is the kind were the splitter sticks out in front of the skid steer and the logs will be split laying on the ground. I havent checked on a price of a plate to build one from scratch yet. I am trying to keep the price down and so far i havent bought any thing but the cylinder.

Replies7
  1. #1RTSmith2016-01-06 16:08

    I have such a splitter, and can share that there's a lot of force on that plate. I seem to sometimes have to shift it around to wrangle larger logs which stresses it, and as heavy a mount as you can get will be good. Be sure and gusset it very well as well.

  2. #2Old Doug2016-01-06 18:49

    Thanks i will get a 3/8 plate and reinforce it.

  3. #3maddog2016-01-07 07:40

    Just curious is this your 1st splitter build? Good choice on going thicker, cost can be an issue BUT if it has to be rebuilt, in the long run it could be more by initially trying to spend less.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2016-01-07 18:47

    I'm not sure what you are calling an accessory plate but if it is the plate that the log pushes against while the wedge is on the cylinder 3/8 in not near heavy enough. Should be 3/4" minimum and then be braced from behind as well.

  5. #5Old Doug2016-01-07 19:05

    This is my first one for a Bobcat but not the first splitter i have built. Your right i dont want to have to patch it up later. old iron this is the plate to hook to the quick attach plate on the Bobcat not the Butt plate its 11/2" thick.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2016-01-07 19:15

    Ahh, Got ya. My attachment plates are all 3/8" thick. Your butt plate sounds well built. Post a picture or three when you get it done.

  7. #7maddog2016-01-08 07:59

    :thumbsup: I've also built a couple and there is a lot of force being applied. On another note a splitter can be a very useful tool and not just for making one log into many. They make great presses with the right rigging