Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Acert C18 junk in a AD45B??

06bowtie_guy ยท 2008-08-06 14:31

At work we have an AD45B and since new it's been trouble. The engine rattles like mad and constantly breaks ac braket mounts. The front cover has been changed 4 times due to cracking but since changing from alum to cast it's been ok. Always leaking coolent, the newest fix is a peice of wood wedged between the cooler and lower rad hose. Truck is now up to 5400 hours so cat has done well avoiding the truck. The operators complain all the time about it as well, have to be reving above 1500 rpm to do anything. Just wondering if anyone has experience with these trucks or even just the engine? I'll see about getting some pics. There is a chance we just got a lemon but who knows. We will find out as I was told we ordered another one.

Replies2
  1. #1nextdoor2008-08-07 06:14

    I dont have a C18 but I have a C16 in a tractor and a C15 in a truck and the C16 is up for all tasks at 1100rpm, as for the differences between them (16-18) I think that it is only the stroke but I might be wrong, but the block ect is all the same. I would have presumed that the 18 would have been a great engine for power but maybe you just got a Friday arvo engine. I hope the next one is a lot better for you. Cheers.

  2. #2Burnout2008-08-09 15:43

    Our C18's have been pretty decent in our excavators. I know our biggest problem with the one on our site has been the crankcase building pressure and puking the fill plug for the engine oil and then puking oil everywhere. I was running a older 385 the other day, 5200hrs on her and still going strong. I don't know whats in our 375 whether its a 3456 or another engine model, but it's just going on 900hrs on a complete crate motor and we were joking around yesterday that we should have kept the bagged out 330B on site!