Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adams Leaning Wheel Grader

Randy Krieg ยท 2009-10-09 13:59

Gentlemen My boss has given me the task of restoring this unit. It will be displayed in front of the Associate General Contractors of America building in Anchorage once completed. It was originally brought to Alaska by the Army Corp of Engineers and was then transfered to the Alaska Road Commission. It worked on the roads in the Ruby area. My boss barged it up the Yukon River to the Dalton Highway and was then trucked to our shop last year. Do any of you old timers know or have color pictures of one of these. It was originally painted yellow and green and from working on the unit I can pretty much tell, which colors go where, but any more information would help. Regards, Randy Krieg

Replies38
  1. #1danhoe2009-10-09 20:39

    Randy I think there is one up the road from me, pm me and I will get some pictures for you, I have a site you would like to see. Dan

  2. #2tripper_1742009-10-09 20:43

    I saw one restored in Northern Alberta and it was painted what looked to me like Allis Chalmers orange...mind, what do men know about colours!

  3. #3Midwestern4x42009-10-10 08:33

    Cool Project. Can't wait to see the results.

  4. #4Randy Krieg2009-10-10 12:37

    Dan, check your PM look forward to any help! Tripper, I don't think your too far off. Some of the yellow paint I've found on this unit, which was protect by old grease and dirt accumulation does look like a cross between orange and yellow, kind of like the color I remember seeing on the later Fiat Allis 41.

  5. #5lpnt652009-10-14 19:39

    lpnt65 My Grandfather had one my Dad always chuckled about paint color it WAS Adams Airdrying Orange Very similar to Allis chalmers orange only brighter

  6. #6CarlsCAT2009-11-08 20:04

    Randy, I have several Adams Leaning Wheel graders...On my No. 10, I found Dark Green Paint (kind of Hunter Green)on most of the framework under old grease...I think the wheels may have been orange, or yellow...Which size is your grader ?...Have the Adams Leaning Wheel plaques been removed from the frame of the grader ? The Historic Construction Equipment organization may have info...The Nebraska Library may... Respy, CarlsCAT

  7. #7lpnt652009-11-08 20:11

    Dont know the model of Grandfathers grader only that it was painted orange and that he had it pullled along by 2 Clydesdale horses of it but lost nowit was before my time but my father did hav oic

  8. #8lpnt652009-11-08 20:14

    Sorry That s should read --it was before my time But father had pics of it but r lost

  9. #9ddiiggy2009-11-29 23:25

    I was running one of those by the time I was ~5 years old in ~1969. Nuthin' to it. 'course it wasn't MOVING. Neighbor had it in has back field. All of us kids would spin the wheels and crank the dials... He still has it. I think it would still function. I drive by it regularly but haven't even climbed on it.

  10. #10Randy Krieg2009-12-01 00:45

    Getting Closer Thanks to all who PMed and Emailed me with information. After hours, days, and weeks of grinding, polishing, heating, manipulating, pressing, pounding, loading and laughing we finally got it ready to be blasted, primered and painted. Cruz's master metal worker Gerry did most of the repairs with me assisting. This guy could weld a broken heart! He did an awesome job of bringing the old girl back to life. I'll post some more as we keep progressing towards placing the machine on it's thrown in front of the AGC Building in Anchorage...................:drinkup

  11. #11Randy Krieg2009-12-01 00:55

    One more step closer to paint! Just some grinding polishing and having fun...:drinkup

  12. #12Randy Krieg2009-12-01 01:04

    Time to load it up.... and head to the blast shop.... After the blasting was complete Scott with Valley Equipment Restoration covered her with yellow primer, then hours later Steve started painting the wheels Green ( a special blend). It's starting to look beautiful again! :drinkup

  13. #13Tenspot2009-12-01 13:18

    Great pics!! The ol girl going to get to work a little?

  14. #14Randy Krieg2009-12-01 13:52

    Finishing the Wheels The wheels are finished, they are masking off the wheels and plan to shoot the final urethane coat of yellow today. I'm having them shoot the small hub caps outside the wheel in yellow.

  15. #15Super Roel2009-12-01 14:02

    Randy , Nice job to do , in our eurthmoving eqipment museum we have also a Adams pulled grader and sometime we have some fun whit it , i post a few pic when i was working whit it pulled by Cat D 9 .

  16. #16RonG2009-12-01 16:52

    I gotta ask,how did that dozer get the operators station on the right hand side of the machine?I have never seen that before.The lettering on the dozer is correct so it is not a case of scanning a negative upside down either,Ron G

  17. #17Super Roel2009-12-01 17:01

    RonG , That tractor was used for deep plowing in the Netherlands , a layer of clay above and sand under , and the sand must above for growing bulb flowers . When i posted the pics i was thinking of there was some reply over the richt hand operator station of that tractor , and yes it was .

  18. #18Wrench_one2009-12-01 17:32

    nice job guys

  19. #19Randy Krieg2009-12-05 13:46

    Roel Awesome combination! That is a cool looking grader and pull tractor you have there Roel. :cool2 I'm hoping next year to get a Caterpillar Thirty and a smaller Adams to restore for putting in front of our office. Yesterday we loaded up our present project to take it back to our shop in Palmer for some final touch ups, frame placket installation and lettering. :drinkup

  20. #20#12Caterpillar2009-12-05 18:25

    Nice Job Good job guys! :drinkup There's nothing like watching that old iron come back to life once again to give a man a warm feeling of accomplishment. I remember when I got that old #12 of mine started for the first time after putting her back together. It was well worth the wait.:thumbsup

  21. #21Super Roel2009-12-06 06:54

    Pull grader Randy , That machine looks very nice , you did a very good job on that . The pics i send was during the 75 years of dealership Geveke of Caterpillar , and i was during that show busy with a Cat 22 pulling a Caterpillar no 4 grader , and the pics of the D9 and the Adams was only for the book Caterpillar D9-D9R from Thomas Wilk-Urs Peyer .

  22. #22goodearth132010-01-23 03:12

    Wonderful Photos & Thanks for the updates!!! It will be interesting to see the final product. Wouldn't it be fun to be able to go back & see all the projects this machine worked on & all the operators that ran it & horse teams that pulled it. What a step back in history. Thanks again. My first piece of dirt equipment to operate was a grader similar to this one (1954). I'm going to see if I can find that machine. It was owned by a ranch that is still in the same family & they never got rid of anything. Enjoying this forum.

  23. #23goodearth132010-01-23 17:21

    Adams Leaning Wheel Randy, Super Job!!! That welder you spoke of is a magician isn't he. Real artist. I found an old Adams Leaning Wheel out in the middle of nowhere & now I want to do what you guys have done. Or maybe just bring it home & give it a proud place to rest for the rest of it's life. I have several photos I would like to post here so you can see the colors on it. It's in a really dry climate & the color of the paint is still distinguishable. Can't figure out how to post pictures. Copy & Paste doesn't work.

  24. #24biggrader2010-01-23 21:32

    Nice job Randy, Must be fun to work on that project when your not up on the ice. I saw an Adams model 10 ( I think) stuck in a bunch of trees a few years back. Wonder if it is still there? By the way I'm new to the forum but have read many of the posts. Great to find a forum with such good information.

  25. #25Randy Krieg2010-01-27 14:04

    Lettering I finished putting the lettering on.

  26. #26EGS2010-01-27 17:01

    Randy that looks like a very nice restoration.:notworthy I might be headed back up to Alaska this coming summer to visit family. I would like to stop by check that grader out. Do you have any more pictures of it?

  27. #27w2bstoned2010-01-27 17:38

    Looks sweet..... Nice Job

  28. #28lpnt652010-01-28 01:01

    looks great dont forget to keep it that way Please

  29. #29Super Roel2010-01-28 10:33

    Adams grader . Andy , its a beauty , but it is also a very nice to work with it . Andy have you any suggetions about the painting colours of my Russell Hi-way patrol no 2 scale 1/50 , thanks . Regards , Roel .

  30. #30Super Roel2010-01-28 10:36

    Adams grader . My excuses to writhe your name wrong

  31. #31Randy Krieg2010-01-28 16:12

    My Favorite Russell color scheme. Roel No harm in the spelling. I built this Russell model a few years ago. I did some research and this was one of the paint schemes they used on the real units. EGS: I sent you a PM. Regards, Randy

  32. #32Super Roel2010-01-28 16:51

    Thanks Randy , Regards , Roel

  33. #33gravey2010-01-31 19:29

    great restore save that old iron:usa

  34. #34Raildudes dad2010-02-02 18:17

    Randy: Your work inspired me so much I bought a Model 82 on Saturday. It was on the way to the scrap yard shortly. Only 1 gear is froze up

  35. #35140G2010-02-03 14:29

    Beutifull pictures, Beutifull jub. I would put it in a museum, So that some people(like us may be ), fifty years, or more after,can have an idea ,about our job. Lets face it. After thirty years or so, no one will say: hey look this road was made by ... but having a look at this . who made it, who restore it, you know what mean? I also try to restore an old cat.

  36. #36Galute2010-02-11 10:30

    Awesome job on the restore Randy. Really nice piece of equipment. Here is a couple pics of my old Russell Higway Patrol. Someone many years ago cut the front wheels off and welded on a hitch. I would love to restore it someday but I doubt I will ever have the time, besides, it makes a cool yard ornament like it is. LOL.

  37. #37Jodi Adams2011-10-15 22:43

    Randy - nice job with the restoration I have attached a picture of my Adams Road Patrol #4 grader If anyone has any information on them i would appreciate it I am looking to sell my road grader if anyone has any interest or knows of someone looking for a smaller grader thanks jodi

  38. #38lpnt652011-10-16 17:34

    The official color was Adams Air Drying Orange, Guess is it is well out of stock