Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat grader with huge bush-hog attachment ???

slagpot ยท 2009-10-07 12:39

I used the forums { old iron} with this same question. Back in the early 70's ,when I was just a kid. I remember seeing a caterpillar grader with a boom arm bush-hog attachment mid-way on the grader arm. This machine I only saw once and the county that had it parked it on are land. So naturely as a small kid I had to get a closer look. This thing was huge , and I have only seen the one. Does anyone have a picture of this machine ? It was used in the surrounding Birmingham.Ala area in the early 70's. Mainly in the country. Patrick

Replies17
  1. #1slagpot2009-10-08 18:41

    Guess no one has any remote idea what I'm talking about. Must have been a in shop machine. Most likely gone to the bone yard by now.

  2. #2Howierd38662009-10-08 18:47

    no they had them back in the days and the were not shop built.Someone a month or 2 back on here ask the same thing and had some pics. Maybe do a search and see if you can find it. Good luck

  3. #3Danial Doherty2009-10-08 19:00

    i remember these also.. havent seen one around in quite some time now

  4. #4tripper_1742009-10-08 19:04

    There's one tied to an old D600 Champion at home. When I get there I'll get a picture and post it here.

  5. #5Grader4me2009-10-08 19:34

    Hi slagpot, I know you have already seen this one, but maybe the other guys haven't yet. I'm hearing that there is another grader not to far from me that is rigged up with a bush hog. I'll inquire around and try to get some pics.

  6. #6kthompson2009-10-08 20:18

    Slagpot, I am near Conway SC and the highway dept here had such a setup with a Detroit diesel to only power the cutter. It was hugh as it had no problem cutting like a 6 inch gum tree or phone post. Not sure the brand of grader it was but remember the Detroit engine well for the cutter.

  7. #7slagpot2009-10-08 20:42

    Looks a hell of alot like that !!!!! Man o man would I like to see the caterpillar one....but that will do. Thanks

  8. #8slagpot2009-10-08 20:45

    I tried the net and came out dry. Nothing,nada nope....rats. I figure sooner or later that machine will show its self. Ya that was me a few months ago asking about it. Slagpot

  9. #9decee2009-10-09 09:23

    http://www.deniscimaf.com/en/gallery/brushcutter-mowers-for-graders/images-dtn-155-1.html

  10. #10Howierd38662009-10-09 15:13

    how about something like this...this is one of my.

  11. #11slagpot2009-10-09 16:24

    Truckcat ....nope. The county I worked for had the same set-up. Makes your neck hurt like hell operating that thing all day.

  12. #12slagpot2009-10-09 16:27

    Decee, Something like that ,but a lot bigger and the boom was mounted in the middle of the grader frame. The boom on the grader I saw was alot beefier,heavy duty. Thank you though, it looks a whole lot like it.

  13. #13Howierd38662009-10-09 17:24

    TruckKat..I run my all the time I can and I like it better than any of my other tractor mounted one..except it not 4x4 only downfault. The old grader types are too long..

  14. #14Heavyduty2009-10-09 19:41

    You could try a search on roanokemfg.com, they made a few boom mowers for graders back in the 70-80's.:beatsme

  15. #15MKTEF2009-10-10 13:24

    Here u go: Not a cat, but just what u asked for..

  16. #16slagpot2009-10-10 13:39

    MKTEF, Ding ding ding we have a winner!!!! Thank you for posting the beast. Looks almost like the Cat I saw as a kid. That bush hog will eat through just about anything. Thank you again for posting. Slagpot

  17. #17Graderfan19812015-06-21 16:29

    Here a video from this type of attachement (it is custom built): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atw73Qbc-hU