Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adapting a backhoe bucket to fit excavator

707pc50 ยท 2012-02-05 02:04

How much do you guys think it should cost at a fab shop, and is it commonly done, any issues? Just thinking I can find a 12" backhoe bucket easily locally and get it adapted for not a fortune and def cheaper then the 750 I have found for a new one plus the couple hundred in freight I looking at.

Replies4
  1. #1joispoi2012-02-05 04:35

    I can't tell you what a shop in your area will charge you. It's done sometimes. The biggest concern is the distance from the pivot point to the cutting edge being different than what is spec'ed for your machine. If the distance is greater, you loose curling and tear-out force.

  2. #2707pc502012-02-05 14:33

    Couldn't I match the 24" bucket, It seems like with the 12" bucket it wouldn't be as important as a big bucket that strains the machine. Does anyone know what buckets would be close in that respect to a pc50?

  3. #3roadrunner812012-02-05 20:35

    Couldn't I match the 24" bucket, It seems like with the 12" bucket it wouldn't be as important as a big bucket that strains the machine. Does anyone know what buckets would be close in that respect to a pc50? As long as the bucket will not run into your cab, boom, or boom cylinder.

  4. #4Taylortractornu2012-02-05 23:05

    Sometimes the geometry makes the bucket not dig well or curl right. I build my own buckets for about 400 each. I have a pattern of the profile of my bucket and ears then the I put them in my pattern torch. I cut my sides out and then my top and roll my sides. I think you might be better off with the 750 dollar option. Im not sure what a fab sho there charges but here with materials and labor at about 50 to 70 an hour plus materials I think you would come closer to gettin the one that fit would be better.