Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My Hundai is blowing drive motor seal

JIMCO ยท 2012-02-04 19:24

I have a Hundai 180 LC-3 ROBEX. The drive motor is pushing the seal out off the shaft. I have changed it once but it is leaking again. The last one I changed I could see how the seal and backing shim/washer were pushed out into a semi cone shape. The service rep said to do a flow check on the case drain and the turning joint. To check for proper flow (not more than one gal per minute). I havnt done the test yet. But if I do find an excess flow what is the next step. O-ring replacement, drive motor rebuild? What is the cause of this problem Thanks for any help.

Replies9
  1. #1Taylortractornu2012-02-04 19:55

    I was running a 300 that I was running on an ROW job. It would blow out a seal in on motor and I checked the case drain and it was in spec. I got to thinking and prior to the seal blow I spent alot of time tracking backwards to a pile of logs we were saving to make matts out of. I found the case drain line was crimped where it goes in the frame before it heads into the swing.

  2. #2danc2012-02-04 20:08

    don't know your exact motor but do a simple test first open the hyd tank, open the case drain line at motor. attach airline to the pipework ( going to swivel joint) and ensure you can hear air pressure returning to the tank, plus you should not notice any back pressure where you've a attached the airline. If you find it is blocked, so do a further check at the swivel joint to pinpoint location of blockage.. etc.... if the line is clear I'd be looking at the motor itself if it has brake seals these may have failed blowing out the seal. I doubt the actual motor could be so worn ( you don't mention performance) that it's passing so much oil the case drain can't cope.

  3. #3JIMCO2012-02-04 20:32

    Thanks for those comments. I have just started learning about the case drain. I didnt realize is should be uninhibited flow back to the tank. I have all the service manuals and havnt found a diagram of this line. Im sure its here somewhere. The machine only has about 1500 hrs on it and this has been the only problem. Thanks again. I will keep working on it.

  4. #4danc2012-02-04 20:44

    how did you notice the problem originally? did you blow the dual cone on the final drive?

  5. #5willie592012-02-04 20:49

    JIMCO, the case drain is to vent internal leakage of motor back to reservoir. Some internal leakage is normal and lubricates internal bearings. Excessive leakage indicates internal failure of motor components, and will create more flow than case drain line can handle and thereby increase pressure inside motor and blow shaft seal. You need to do case drain test as recommended by service rep. If it checks good, check your case drain line.

  6. #6JIMCO2012-02-05 02:10

    Well oil was leaking past the drive motor cover plate. So I pulled it apart and replaced the seal.

  7. #7JIMCO2012-02-05 02:13

    Thanks Willie.

  8. #8JIMCO2012-02-14 17:26

    UPDATE. I did my case drain test. In one min. I got 1 quart. Did test a second time and got same result. It seems to within specs. So I am thinking there is an obstruction between the case drain and the hydraulic tank. Next step is to drop the bottom plates and check the hose connection into the turning joint. Then from there to the hyd tank. Wish me luck, "I'm going in".

  9. #9finaldrive2012-02-23 15:00

    Good Plan JIMCO. You can click on the FDC link in my signature below and go to the "services" section. We offer troubleshooting tips in that section.