Picked up a Pettibone Super 6 Cary Lift this weekend. So far I have not been able to find an Operators Manual, Maintainence Manual, or parts books for it on the internet or on eBay. It has a Fiat 6 cylinder Diesel in it. Included was a well built man basket. The basket is 6' deep by 12' wide and the front half of the side rails fold down making it 20' wide. I walked out to the end of one wing on the ground but I don't believe I would use the wings in the air. The previous owner said it worked good for painting barns. The engine seems a bit tired but does run smooth. Has not been used for a while so I'm sure its old fuel in it also. It seems to lose its prime after shut off for a few hours. It has an electric fuel pump added so it starts after letting the pump run for a minute or so before cranking. I noticed that one of the steel fuel lines from a fuel filter to the injector pump has been patched with a rubber hose. I'll fix that first to see if thats the issue. Don't know what I will use the lift for but with a price tag of $3,000.00 I could not help but add it to my collection of old iron. I am sure I will find things to do with it. If anyone has a lead on the books let me know. Thanks.
Nice find. I've got a book or two that I might be able to copy, but I know they don't have any Fiat in them. It seems like a Chrysler 6 and a 4-53 were the engines in the book, so they're quite a bit older than your unit.
I had never seen one with a Fiat before either. I have only seen 4-53s in them. At first I thought it might be a Perkins but they said it was Fiat and today while looking for an engine tag I found the Fiat name with a V after it cast into the block. You can see part of the "Fiat V" above the injector pump near the left end. The patched line also shows up in this picture. Do your books cover hydrostatic drive? They may be the same or at least similar for the machine part.
That looks like a pretty good deal for $3000.....!
Certainly has some reach . Good Score .
I'm glad somebody else agrees that $3,000 is a great price, I don't think this thing even qualifies as old iron? I was wrong on both engines, the operators manual shows a Continental flathead 6, and the parts book shows two International gas, or a 3-53. Definitely no hydrostatic drive, either dry clutch and a Fuller trans, or a torque converter and Funk reverse-o-matic. The hydrostatic drive would be a nice feature, especially when you're the guy on the end of that wing! It seems like they stuck with the design and swapped out the engine and transmission as the years went on.
The hydra stat has the standard two pedals and there is no manual throttle that I have found yet. When you step on either pedal to go the engine speeds up as you press harder. For setting and running the lift you step on both forward and reverse pedal and the engine will rev up in neutral. The brakes are not working yet. The master cylinder is dry as a bone so do not know yet what I will find. The parking brake is the simple band around the drive shaft style so I should be able to get that working. It really needs a braking system as it freewheels like an overdrive transmission. I backed of the trailer at a much faster speed than I had envisioned doing it. Had a bit of a pucker factor going on.
That sounds like the torque converter/reverser with a 2x2 (two levers to the right of the seat) transmission. I thought you meant something different by hydrostat. The gas ones have a vacuum booster but not on the master cylinder, it's mounted under the cab. You might get away with just filling the master cylinder if it's leaked down from sitting too long.
That is a nice find old-iron-habit . Looks to be kept up in pretty good shape . Should be a handy rig for a lot of tasks .
I learned a bit more about the Super 6 today. The night before last I called an 85 year old friend that had worked as the shop manager for Pettibone in Duluth years ago. They still had a plant in Duluth, MN until sometime in the later 70s. He told me that I did not have a Cary Lift as they were not built with a forklift tower. The wrong decals were apparently installed on my machine when it got a new engine and a paint job. Mine is actually called a Super 6-33'. He also told me that each Super Six and up in size was a custom build and a set of pertinent manuals went with each machine. He suggested I email corporate Pettibone. I did that and already today I received a reply with a little history of my machine and an electronic copy of the build sheet along with a promise to forward as many component manuals as still exist for my machine. Because of size they will post them to a free dropbox site where I can download them. In todays world its really cool to get this sort of reply from a corporation. The build sheet was approved on 6/8/74 and the machine was certified and shipped on 6-12-74. It was originally shipped to a customer in Clearwater, Florida. It was built with a IH UC-221 engine so the Fiat engine currently in it is a transplant.
I believe you are correct on the torque convertor/reverser Delmer. The machine does have two shift levers to the right of the seat giving a few gearing options. I assumed it to be hydrostatic drive by the forward/reverse pedals. I'm sure the brakes are a correctable issue. I am headed to California shortly to Santa Margarita to help set up(play) for the Memorial Day Weekend show. Antique Cats, Cable Scrapers, Steam Trains, Trucks, Military Tanks, and Warbirds will all be operating, flying, and working. Its going to be a huge show for anyone that can make it. The Super Six will get a rest in the shed until I get back.
When me and my brother were frameing houses we worked on a house for a dentist. He had one and i think it was built in 1947. It had a 350 chevy engine and a turbohydrmatic 350 trans. I think that to go forward you used reverse. The th350 was to high geared for it . We had a dynatrac at the time and i was the operater so i ran the pettiebone. It took some nerve to get on a hill and lift a bundle of plywood up on a roof with it.
This one turned out to be newer than I thought. Do you remember if they had the leveling rams on the front wheels on that old machine you run. It would be real scary if you could not level up before going up. Any chance you have any old photos of the old machine?
wow nice toy there buddy i think i saw that on the side of the road on the way back. just park that in front of the door and tell deb her new deck lol.
It had some way to level it but the only thing i can remember about that part is that it was alot diffrent than what i had run before.Sorry i dont have any pictures of it. I had saw one before and was glad i got to run that one. I know were there is another one seting. Its about 60 miles away i have often thought about asking about it .
We did drive by within about 30 miles of it on our way to Peoria. If you drove by it on your way home from my place you were going the wrong way. When are you going to post pictures of your new screamer. I have been waiting.
ya got some pic up in the scrapper thread and the boss go a video too tell me what you think
I ran a similar one when I got out of high school in the late 60's. It was one of the first machines I operated.
O-I-H, Nice buy,Looks really clean. My only worry would be that the cage looks like can reach 6-7 Metres ? I definitely would not get in that without outriggers on the support vehicle. and hydraulic fail-safe devices. don't want want to rain on your parade,but 6 metres is a don't wake up again fall
That should be a 6-33 High lift, forks go up 33'. The weight is over 20,000# so it's not going to tip over easily. But that would be a hairy ride for sure. Here's one that looks a little older, 28' height, with a 318 Chrysler. http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/hvo/5022544797.html
At the advice of a retired Pettibone employee, a couple weeks ago I had sent Pettibone Corporate a request for information on my serial number of my lift. I received a email from Pettibone a few days ago with a drop box address where they had dropped a complete new electronic operators manual, maintenance/service manual and parts book. Its so cool to get service like that in todays corporate world.
Great to hear a company knowing the meaning of supporting their product .
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I joined because I found this thread. I have a Super 6 Cary-Lift that I'm just starting to resuscitate. I bought it 10 or 15 years ago and used it for a while but it has been idle for about 5 years now and it will take a little work to get it going again. I do have the operator's manual though (one of the most complete that I have ever seen, 162 pages) and if Pettibone doesn't come through with the information that you requested I can try to find that part and forward it to you or take it to someone and have them copy the whole thing - it is a wealth of information.. Mine does have the flathead 6 gas engine and the same 2 pedal transmission that you describe - this particular transmission is not described in the manual.
Hi Tuckersnocat and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the offer but Petibone did send me the manuals via a drop box. Your Cary-Lift should be the same basic machine without the forklift attachment. I am guessing you might find your transmission details under the hydraulic section. I have not looked thru my whole manuals set yet. Other than a losing prime issue that I have to fix the machine works fine. Have to many other projects going right now to get to the McGivered line on the injection fuel feed. It starts if I let the electric fuel pump run for two minutes first.
Actually I guess i don't have a Cary-Lift either because i do have the forklift attachment. The manual that I have is for the Cary-Lift though, I think I'll contact Pettibone too and see if they can tell me more about this machine.
I worked on and operated one of those "Pettibone Carylift" machines in a lumber yard/sawmill. It was a big machine for its day and equipped with log grapples. I unloaded trucks and stacked the logs in the yard. This machine had a 3-71 Detroit. The easiest way to climb in or out was with the loader frame right forward.
Yes, It sure is easier to crawl on and off with the boom forward. I normally park it that way unless I am parking it in the machine shed. Then I pull it all the way back and rest the cross tube on the carry cradle to take less space. Pettibone made a Super 10 also that mostly came equipped with a log grapple. They were a very popular mill machine around here in the saw mills. There are still a few around. They make the Super 6 look small.
Did you ever receive the manuals from pettibone? I have the exact same model pettibone you have and would like to have some manuals on it as well. thank you
Yes. They sent me a link to a drop box account that they put them in within a few days. Email corporate Pettibone with your serial number and they will set you up. Every machine has its own made to order manuals. They told me they printed one book for each machine when new and kept one electronic record. They also sent me the build sheet for my machine and where it was first sold and other partially worthless but interesting information.
Hi all. Looking at a 1968 Pettibone Super 6 for a project. Can anyone tell me what the hydraulic pump pressure and flow might be? Thanks in advance.
The pressures are pretty mild by today's standards. The standard carry lift was 1,450PSI and the high lift (forklift mast) was 1,600 PSI from a '78 manual so I doubt the '68 had higher capacity. The pump has another section for the steering with a relief of 850 PSI or 1,000 PSI somewhere else in the book. I can't find the volume but I'd guess 20-30 GPM based on the size of the pump.
Thanks Delmer. Just the info I was looking for. This Super 6 appears to be the high lift. Not sure the pressure is high enough for my project though. I'll have to check the equipment specs. Thanks again for the info.
One more thing (for now). Do you know if it would be a open center or closed center hydraulic system on the Super 6? Thanks again.
Open center gear pumps. What is the project you have in mind? I'd guess that those were conservative ratings on the pump and hydraulics because they built the same basic machine for so long, and probably never adjusted the size of the cylinders down to convert to higher pressure. If there was something specific you were doing, I might bump the relief up to 2,000, or maybe a little more? These were almost the definition of a brick outhouse, built to haul logs around the mill and stack pallets originally.
As is I want to put a man basket on it to trim a lot of high limbs from trees around the hay field and pasture. Also my neighbor and I want to put up another pole barn each. But the "project" I was considering is that I have a large Davis backhoe attachment that I converted to 3 point to use with my big tractor. I have since traded for a newer/smaller tractor and I believe the backhoe will be a bit much for the newer tractor. With the Super 6 I was thinking about removing the forklift mast portion (when needed) and connecting up the backhoe to use. The backhoe is also open center but I believe it requires about 1950 psi to operate. Your idea of adjusting the relief valve would work. Crazy huh! I can be pretty creative with my "projects". Might go look at this Super 6 this weekend to see if I can talk myself in to/out of this one.
These pettibones have a feature that the boom sits on a ledge on the front frame of the loader, so you can carry around a load of lumber and protect the hydraulics from the shock. You could put a clamp on that so the boom and backhoe would be effectively locked to the frame. Might not be needed? And it might be nice to be able to extend the backhoe 4' forward like the boom is designed to do.
Neat old iron guys. I am working on a old pettibone lda multihoe right now. This is the only Pettibone equip I find on the forum. I am having trouble identifying the rear axel planetaries to replace leaking rear seals. looks like an old Timken axel housing, housing splits into two halves to get to ring and pinion. Which I had to get to about five years ago but, the planetaries look like Rockwell. I have found no name on them , found a few part numbers but haven't been able to use them to id the manufacture via the internet searches I have done. I would greatly appreciate any guidance and suggestions you could offer me
i recently purchase super 6 with enclosed cab . i think is 1980ish. would anybody share service manual for this machine. everything seems operational but the brakes. would love to change every fluid to bring it current . axles,trans,engine,brake fluid, hydro fluid, grease? thank you in advance
super 6 model 6-33 serial #2795, engine is Deutz F5l912. from reading i think i have super 8 axles because it has 2 bleeding per axle. every axle turns and it has like a sphere shape. what is the type of axle oil and dif oil type as well. thank you
Hello, Came across this older Pettibone super 8 for sale that’s been sitting for a while. Seller says it needs a motor and tires. Was going to drain fluids to see if there any concerning metal chunks. It’s there any other items I should be concerned with to look out for older pettibone and sitting not in operation for I’m guessing a decade? Honestly I had no idea what a pettibone was as I was looking for telehandler but the more I read up on them the more intrigued I’m on getting this rig running. It would be used on North Slope in AK as equipment support for residential piling drilling operations.