I’ll be adding a mustang BRH 125 to a Komatsu PC55MR-2. Everything I can find indicates that the hydraulic pressure provided by the machine is too much for the hammer. Now, I’m super ignorant on the topic - when the hammer talks about operating force at 1100 PSI @ 26 gpm, will I need some kind of flow limiter on the input side of the hydraulic line? Unfortunately in this machine, the control for auxiliary hydraulics is a couple buttons on the joystick and not a pedal (so it’s off or on, there’s no limiting the flow to the breaker). A total newbie follow up question: If I’ve got a 3/8” line (as stamped on the hydraulic line) what size ends are on that hose? 1/2”?
I think you’ll need to get someone to set the pressure on the auxiliary circuit you are going to run the hammer on. Either a Komatsu dealer or good independent mechanic should be able to do it. You could do it as well if you have a gauge and know which valve to adjust.
I would confirm that psi rating. That does not look right to me. It should have a higher PSI rating than that.
Some aux circuits have a place for a relief valve. Simply remove a plug and screw it in. Ed
Sorry I’m late replying - thanks for the input so far! the travel and aux hydraulics share a pump side - can I assume the relief valve will do all the work if the hammer can’t handle the input?
If it’s short bursts of hammer work maybe you could just temporarily reduce the flow at the on/off taps on your dipper arm but that’s not ideal. It will create oil temperature you could also just reduce the engine revs but you need to clarify the diggers max flow and PSI output then doublecheck the hammers operating requirements. others here will have much more experienced advice.
First off, welcome to the forums. Now, let's cover some basics. Do you have auxiliary lines run down the arm and boom to support the tool you want to use? Is your machine equipped with an option pedal control or joystick actuator? Are you pinning the attachment on or using a quick coupler? Does your valve bank have an option spool fitted? You asked about 3/8" line. Hose is measured in /¹⁶ths so a 3/8 hose will be called dash 6 or -6 hose. The ends will most commonly be the same as the hose diameter. Here's where things get hairy. There are adapter fittings which can step up or down the hose size. Then you have to identify what kind of fitting? Is it JIC, BSPP, JIS, ORFS, DIN L or H or NPT. Usually a quick picture with a tape measure from a couple different angles, guys here will get you squared away pretty quick. On a Komatsu, you'll probably see ORFS, JIS & maybe BSPP
Hello, I have the same machine. I recently purchased and looking fir parts and repair manual. Do you know where I can purchase? Kind regards
Need help! Finally got this thing mated up to my machine, but cannot for the life of me figure out which pin I gotta drive out (or rotate?) to allow the mail point in. I’m counting on the think tank here!
In the first and third pics there’s an angled piece that is accessed from the side. Mustanghammer.com is useless for info
From manual below.
Thank you. I have this pdf; I’m not 100% sure it’s the same unit. ♂️♂️ I’ll have to play with it. Perhaps the tool has to be inserted into the body before the retaining pins will come loose. It seems counterintuitive to me though.
Ok. Got the pins figured. (Boy am I thiiiiick). Hooked up the breaker, tried either button (two button joystick that normally controls the hydraulic thumb. I’ve fed the breaker off a 2 way splitter). Lines jiggle but no action. I have two thoughts: either the nitrogen accumulator is pooched, or because it’s a 2 button system, I actually don’t have a fluid returning to the hydraulic tank. Thoughts? Suggestions? Do I have to tap my hydraulic tank and run a separate return line?
Based on my experience with hammers, hydraulic pressure and flow cycle the hammer, and nitrogen multiplies the force. The do require force upon the tool by lowering the hammer into the surface to be broken, though. Even with zero nitrogen, all my hammers will fire, just not with any great force.
Ok, thank you. I may try pulling one hose off just to see if it makes a difference.