Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding a track loader

JD8875 ยท 2013-02-05 10:36

I'm considering adding a true track loader to my little fleet. I have a solid skid steer and a mini ex but lately the jobs coming in seem to be a bit big for a skid steer. I rented a tl250 for 2 weeks on a pond job and it did a great job as a big skid steer but was by no means a replacement for a true track loader. I'm looking for something I can pull with the single axle truck I have which puts me looking at cat 939s possibly 943s and Deere 455/555s. I'd also like to stay under 20k until I know it can fly. Found a nice looking 939 bout four hours from home for 22900 and a 943 for 18000. What's the thoughts on pulling a 943 with a single axle truck? And about the machines in general. Sorry it was long winded John

Replies13
  1. #106Pete2013-02-05 17:30

    I pull my 953B with a single axle on a 20 ton Eager Beaver Tag along no problem. What size single axle GVW and what HP I am 33000 GVW with 330 HP and feel comfortable with it. Go with a rear engine it is way better especialy if you are used to running a skidloader and I would stay with Cat.

  2. #2JD88752013-02-05 21:28

    06Pete I'm running a 26900 gvw C60 Chevy, unfortunately with an 8.2 detroit and will have to pick up a trailer if I buy the machine. A little relieved to hear somebody's haulin something bigger with a similar rig. I'd love to go to a 53 but I think that would be a little big. The 43 appeals to me for its overall size and agility. John

  3. #3d9gdon2013-02-05 21:37

    I have pulled a 953 on a dually and tandem dual trailer before, it's not that heavy. I just made a short haul down a county road, but you wouldn't have a problem with a single axle truck with a tandem dual trailer rated for the highway.

  4. #4Dickjr.2013-02-05 22:00

    That sounds a little crazy to me. I have a 8000 Ford , 270hp with a 12 ton trailer and I don't want a 953 on my trailer. What king of dually and trailer ? You must have blocked well for loading , I could see it pickings up the truck until the trailer bottomed or it hit the truck.

  5. #5dirthog282013-02-06 17:57

    I don't see no problem, I use to work for a guy that had a International 8100 single axle and I'd occasionally pull a 963, it knew it was back there when coming up to a hill.

  6. #6390eric2013-02-06 18:08

    I dunno about you guys, but I must be a wimp. Used to pull a 953 and wouldnt want anything less than a tandem truck. Had a tandem ch Mack 350 with 8ll and you knew it was back there, but we do a lot of highway and main road driving here. There are no backroads you can go slowly down, all hills and curves. and had a 25 ton trailer too.

  7. #706Pete2013-02-06 21:53

    I think that chevy is to light for a 53 or probably a 43. Does it have air? If not I would not attempt at all. That 8.2 has enough trouble with the truck no less the trailer and loader or that is the ones I have seen have been.

  8. #8d9gdon2013-02-06 22:15

    Dickjr, It was a 2008 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 cab and chassis with a 32' tandem dual trailer. The trailer was rated at 10 tons, so it's good for 14 tons as far as I see down a county road. Yeah I was overloaded. I wasn't going for a checkered flag. Operating weight is 31080 pounds for a 953. The Dodge was good for the rest of the weight. So don't buy a used pickup from me. Our loads of hay are heavier than that.

  9. #9Dickjr.2013-02-06 22:47

    Ah its was a Dodge , that makes it ok. Joking , I put our 53 on a scale after being ran normally for 3 months , fuel of fuel , belly pans dirty , track system dirty , it pushed 35k. Granted if it was fire hosed off bell pans dropped and cleaned it still was over 32. I'd rode with you , and when getting in the seat I'd have to give it a " hold my beer and watch this". I guess on dead level ground maybe. I wonder if your truck and trailer look like an old sway back horse.

  10. #10JD88752013-02-07 23:14

    I have a Cummins too but I don't think I'd be pulling a 53 with it. I have decided to hire a buddy of mine who runs a tow service to move it with his low boy for now. Maybe swap off the tired c60 if things go well and look for a tandem down the road, or pay him to move it and not gave to shell out on another truck, trailer, tags, insurance and taxes. I am kinda stuck on the 43 size machine now though to fill a niche in my business for something just a little bigger than my skid steer. John

  11. #11JBGASH2013-02-08 07:33

    I have a 953C and pull it with a tandom axle road tractor/dump truck on a 20 ton tag w/ air brakes and would not even consider putting it behind a 1-ton truck of any kind. You know it is behind you with my rig, good luck but I think you are asking for trouble with the 1-ton rig.

  12. #12d9gdon2013-02-08 08:15

    Don't get too excited, I never said I made a habit of it. My point was that it wasn't unreasonable to move it on a single axle truck(like the C60 that the OP mentioned that he already has) and proper trailer Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that the OP buy a 943 or 953 or 953B or 953C and start hauling it around federal or state or local highways with a dually and tandem dual trailer, of any brand.

  13. #13JD88752013-03-24 17:37

    Thought I would pop in with an update. After talking with a friend who hauls equipment I gave up on looking for a little track loader when he told me what he would charge to move a big machine. With that said I bought an 84 963 this weekend. A far cry from where I started out but hopefully it will be a work horse.