Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Maybe close to giving up

DMiller ยท 2013-02-04 21:39

Went on to another 955L, had a 4 in 1 on it, before I got up to the machine the owner came to me explaining it had sold minutes before I arrived, guy paid once again in cash. This one did look good, at least 90% rails and pads, bucket not hurt at all and paint OE and still in good order, had been a barn queen most of its life. Sold for $34k The last unit I am going to look at then throw in the towel, is a 1986 555B Deere, has a 4 in 1, a backhoe quick attachment and new rails/pads. Guy has two new sprockets and a few more extras but has had not even a looker on it for a few months. He is asking $18750, just at 5k hours showing and stated it is easy to start with no oil use, and I can operate all the functions in a close to them lot only an hour from me. Is it worth it to even look at a 555B?

Replies11
  1. #1Dickjr.2013-02-05 08:32

    I wouldn't pay 34 for a 955. There is a nice one on craigslist in either Lexington KY or Louisville. Maybe too far.

  2. #2Dickjr.2013-02-05 08:39

    http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/3558054572.html Here it is if the link works.

  3. #3mopar652013-02-05 19:14

    Dave did you see the info i put in your other post about finding a 955L in the add tracker? dont know if its still in there becasue the add was from a week ago.

  4. #4wagspe2082013-02-05 19:26

    I'd give up LONG BEFORE I paid 34k for a 955. Wags I paid 9500 for mine... DELIVERED

  5. #5denver m farms2013-02-05 21:56

    I would not give that for a 555b, I would think you could find a early 555g for that. Look on the springfield craigslist, there is a 963 with a cab, and low hours on a engine and trans for about 18000$ and it is closer up your way than down in this area.

  6. #6OzDozer2013-02-05 22:03

    The character trait of persistence is usually the trait that guarantees ones success in achieving aims. Keep looking, you just haven't tried hard enough and long enough yet. A 955L in good condition is well worth the extra effort. You have to ask yourself - "why has the JD owner not had any lookers for months?". The message is right there. You're looking at an "also-ran" as compared to a "winner". A Cat will provide better reliability and a vastly improved resale value when you want to move it on - and you'll have to beat back the lookers with a stick, when you offer a good Cat for sale.

  7. #7DMiller2013-02-06 05:30

    Thanks guys, I did get a Ad Tracker and looked all through it, no 955 so I suspect it sold quick, mine is dated 01/31. Good point on the Deere machines, I will keep looking but the budget won't take much more of a pricing strain

  8. #8gwiley2013-02-06 08:39

    It took 6 months to land a good deal on the latest skid steer I bought. Be patient and stick to your budget and requirements.

  9. #9mopar652013-02-06 14:44

    Dmiller here are a few i found. don't remember wear you live?thanks Bobby http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/3596286498.html http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/3571809274.html http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/grd/3565561956.html http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bfs/3569894059.html http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bfs/3513135692.html

  10. #10DMiller2013-02-09 20:55

    My place to use a machine is just outside of Hermann, lots of broken rock flint and dolomitic lime and not too deep to get at, lots of garbage wood, Honey Locust, Sycamore and a few odd cedar so nothing worth logging, actual soil is loamy, a little bit of clay but a lot of organic matter. I am willing to look at most anything that still is shuttle shift, I am shying away from hydros for now as I cannot afford those should I fail to catch a issue that cost dearly. I have a line on a unadvertised 977L, going to look at it in a week, gent that owns it is done with it and would just like it gone. Has no time factor and with a quoted negotiable price I can't hesitate to look, he has given me a heads up it will be put to market around the May time frame if I don't pick it up.

  11. #11Cowman2702013-02-09 21:25

    Don't give up keep looking, took awhile for me to fine the one I got in the price range I had.