Anybody have any do's or don'ts about adding a turbo to an early D3 3204 engine?.. I can get an aftermarket turbo and manifold on the cheap side, I think I can set up an oil feed and drain, my only question is do I have to turn up fuel supply? And how could I do that?, Just a fun project
This might not be of any relevance but I added a supercharger to my Jeep's 4.0L inline 6 engine. I had to replace the injectors with ones that dump more fuel and change the mass air flow sensor. The stock Jeep fuel pump puts out about 65 psi as I remember so that was good for the larger injectors. There was also a custom tune required. If your 3204 engine is just simple mechanical injection with no ECU you might only need to change injectors. Unless you find some specific information out there about your project, I would be very leery of being the pioneer. (There's an old quip about the pioneers being the ones with arrows in their backs.)
Kind of a waste of money that motor has more than enough HP for that tractor. If that is your machine your money would be better spent on new sprockets and recoil springs. Bob
I agree with Bluox. Your machine was designed for the horsepower it produces. Add more power and you’re likely to start tearing everything else up.
Do you need the turbo for work high elevations? I see you're in PA... the highest hill is like 3500 feet I think, you really don't need a turbo for that.
I'm just doing it for kicks I'm building a rat rod Dozer LOL, I have tons of other machines to do the real work., and yes it's getting sprockets and undercarriage work done also
aha a 55 mph. bulldozer
Piston cooling jets may be required if they are not standard on that engine.
If your building a rat rod dozer, a 3208 would be better than the turboed 3204.
Old thread.
3204 is a rare and fragile animal, they should be left alone and pampered. I know i have one in my 910.
N/A 3204's can live long healthy lives. The turbo versions with about twice the power were known for frequent rebuilds. 3 ring pistons are a good upgrade.
Guys would raz me about its blowby and call it a throw away engine 10 years ago. Nothings changed to this day, still starts up and runs great ( as long as the glow plugs are working)
old thread, but all the reason not to mess with it are up there. My plane, they added turbos to but that's for altitude.
Don't let them idle for long periods and keep up on maintainence and the N/A 3204's are a good engine. Putting a turbo on in the 953 to boost power to 130 HP was really pushing the limit for the size of the engine. Not a 3304 but not near as pricey either. I'd guess that was the motivation to make them. Don't think an older D3 powertrain would want too much additional power.
I'm actually doing a 3208 build like the other person suggested. 2008 king ranch superduty, 3208t /Allison swap. I got rid of the turbo and am going twin turbo with exhaust manifolds I bought for a 3204t. 10.4 liters of hugeness
That's sweet! Why Cummins swap when you can put a V8 Cat in there instead and have triple the cool factor.
Not exactly the coolest with a 3208.