Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere Dozer Help

Gavin T · 2019-12-01 21:06

Hi All, My dad recently passed and I have a dozer I need to maintain for some forest property. The only info I have are the maintenence records which are not very descriptive. I bought new fuel filters, air filter, oil filter, hydraulic fluid, a new battery, diesel, starting fluid, etc..... but I would be grateful if anyone could assist with the year/model number based on this picture. Also, if there's anything I should do before starting it up after not being run for 6-7 years please let me know. I intend to grease it sufficiently and inspect everything but I don't want to make any rookie mistakes. Thanks in advance!

Replies47
  1. #1mg23612019-12-02 04:51

    Welcome to HEF Gavin ! Sorry to hear about your Dad. Is there a serial number plate on the machine that you can post here? Looks like either a 350 or a 450. How about a picture of the transmission controls, that might help.

  2. #2redneckracin2019-12-02 07:20

    atleast a model number would be helpful?

  3. #3Gavin T2019-12-02 12:55

    Thanks mg. I believe it's a 350 but I'm not 100%. It's 400 miles away at the moment and this is the only other pic I have.

  4. #4bccat2019-12-02 13:10

    Pretty sure it’s a JD 1010 crawler

  5. #5Gavin T2019-12-02 13:51

    Any chance it could be a 2010?

  6. #6bccat2019-12-02 15:27

    Sorry Gavin, I meant to say 2010,

  7. #7Gavin T2019-12-02 15:44

    Thanks bccat. Do you know if there is anything special I should do prior to starting it besides normal maintenance? Also (I feel like a moron for this but...), I'm 99% sure it's a diesel but is there anyway to confirm that? I could smell the tank but the fuel is so old I'm not sure it would be effective.

  8. #8bccat2019-12-02 16:22

    Can you turn the engine over by hand?, bit of a chore on those, usually take the hood the off ,pressing down on the alternator belt while turning the fan ,most times you will have to tighten the belt, then adjust the belt after you get the engine turned. Be careful, use a rag or gloves on the fan.Sorry about the loss, lost mine in 2012 think of him every day, He was 91, take care

  9. #9Gavin T2019-12-02 16:38

    Yep, it sucks... 91 is a pretty dang good life though! I'll try that. It would be a lot easier if I lived closer. I'm just trying to ensure I have all the tools I need when I get there. Temps will be about 20-35d. Is 10W-30 okay?

  10. #10Gavin T2019-12-02 17:56

    Perhaps I should have looked closer... It has a glow plug... nevermind on the diesel bit.

  11. #11doublewide2019-12-02 18:58

    The most important think you need to do before trying to start this machine is to make sure that the fuel system is clean. After sitting for that long the contents of the tank will likely look like this...

  12. #12Gavin T2019-12-02 18:59

    Yikes. Will do. Thanks.

  13. #13doublewide2019-12-02 19:02

    That was part of the contents of the fuel tank in an old tractor that I've been working on. This is what I found in the fitting at the bottom of the tank...

  14. #14doublewide2019-12-02 19:08

    Starting the dozer is not the most important first step.

  15. #15hosspuller2019-12-02 19:16

    2 x on turning it over by hand. Water in the cylinder, tends to result in busted/bent parts.

  16. #16Gavin T2019-12-02 19:27

    Care to elaborate?

  17. #17doublewide2019-12-02 19:37

    Like I said, go through the fuel system.

  18. #18hosspuller2019-12-02 19:56

    I believe the issue is pumping contamination through a system... fuel / hydraulic / reverser/ TC / what-ever, etc. Better to drain the tanks, clean and refill with known clean fluid. Condensation alone over six years will create a problem. The first minute of operation will circulate dirt and stuff into places that are impossible to flush out.

  19. #19bccat2019-12-02 19:58
  20. #20bccat2019-12-02 20:01

    I would go with 15/40 Diesel engine oil

  21. #21Gavin T2019-12-02 20:17

    Thanks!

  22. #22rmllarue912019-12-02 23:19

    If it's up north I'd Use lighter oil. Drain bottom of oil compartments fresh fuel filters and send it them machines are Hardy

  23. #23doublewide2019-12-03 07:59

    Do you have manuals for the machine. It should cover what oil the manufacturer recommends at various temperatures. I know some of the older diesels have smaller oil passages and were designed to run on a 30 weight diesel oil, especially at lower temperatures. Also, I believe this is an indirect injection engine (precup) and requires an external heat source to start, i.e. glow plugs. I have an International 282 that takes a full minute on the glow plugs before starting, no mater what the ambient temperature. Again, consult the manual for proper starting procedure.

  24. #24Gavin T2019-12-03 14:36

    Unfortunately not. I've been searching for one online to no avail. I did notice the glow plug indicator on the ignition so there's that.

  25. #25Labparamour2019-12-03 15:29

    https://techpubs.deere.com/Products/ProductSearch.aspx Confirm your model. Got my 450B manual here. Hope that helps

  26. #26Gavin T2019-12-03 16:09

    Thanks. Unfortunately the metal piece which I assume has the model/serial numbers is completed faded. I wonder if there's any indication on the block.

  27. #27Labparamour2019-12-03 16:28

    https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/ Deere parts catalog may be a way to check- compare components...?

  28. #28chroniekon2019-12-03 20:06

    I have an operator manual for gasoline 2010 JD wheel tractor. I don't remember if it covered the diesel version or not. If you like I can dig the manual out tomorrow.

  29. #29Gavin T2019-12-03 22:38

    Do you know if it's the same engine? If so, I just need the preferred oil at this point. Thanks a million!

  30. #30chroniekon2019-12-03 23:14

    I don't know if it is the same. I'll take a look at it tomorrow, it's been awhile since I looked at it. Hopefully it has some info on the diesel version.

  31. #31chroniekon2019-12-04 12:41
  32. #32chroniekon2019-12-04 12:43
  33. #33chroniekon2019-12-04 12:48
  34. #34doublewide2019-12-04 19:00

    Great info there chroniekon!

  35. #35Gavin T2019-12-04 20:05

    chroniekon -- you are a lifesaver. I really appreciate it.

  36. #36chroniekon2019-12-04 20:32

    Glad to help. Edit: I just noticed you have the primer. It's the round knob on the lower left of the instrument panel.

  37. #37Gavin T2019-12-04 21:30

    Yep. I've run it many times as a kid, but once I left went off to college a lot of the knowledge was forgotten. I'd say it's 50/50 I get it started the first go.

  38. #38Gavin T2019-12-04 23:28

    Any clue on transmission fluid?

  39. #39chroniekon2019-12-05 02:01
  40. #40mg23612019-12-05 04:46

    John Deere Hygard.

  41. #41Gavin T2019-12-05 21:04

    You guys are awesome. Thank you.

  42. #42Gavin T2019-12-16 19:06

    Well, I worked on it for four days cranking it each day multiple times. At first the starter seemed seized but eventually worked after a couple taps with a wrench... By day four it was extremely close to starting but my batteries gave out and I needed to travel back to work. Until next time I suppose. I might have more luck in the spring when there's not a few inches of snow covering it and the temps are up.

  43. #43doublewide2019-12-16 19:48

    Sorry it didn't fire. Did you verify that the glow plugs were working properly?

  44. #44Gavin T2019-12-16 22:28

    Good point. I was wondering about that too. I felt each one to see if there was any residual heat but it was so dang cold and my hands were numb so it was hard to tell. I'm assuming there would at least be a little bit of heat on the outside of them?

  45. #45doublewide2019-12-17 05:12

    Chroniekon listed the procedure for testing the glow plugs on page 2 of this thread.

  46. #46Gavin T2019-12-17 20:26

    Yeah, I saw that. Unfortunately I did not bring an ammeter. The lights did light up though on the dash so I'll make sure I have the proper tools for the job next time. Also, it will be in spring so it should be 60* instead of sub 20*.

  47. #47Gavin T2020-08-06 16:49

    Okay. I've failed. It turns but I think there is a fuel issue. Any tips on repairing the fuel line? Or should I give up and call a mechanic?