Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding a valve for thumb

BlackbeardMX ยท 2012-02-20 07:27

Got the EX270 LC from my previous thread running and moved to the shop. It doesnt appear to be setup with aux hydraulics. I will be using a thumb on htis machine all the time. How much trouble would it be to add a valve? I think I have enough steel lines to plumb the boom.

Replies5
  1. #1BlackbeardMX2012-02-20 17:01

    Looks like it has a valve in place its just capped off with a plate. Anybody have experience with these machines?

  2. #2KenAl2012-02-20 21:33

    Yes you have a spare spool you can use on the left hand side. You will need relief valves to go in the ports. A pilot valve to activate the spool etc. The pilot port on the top takes a special long thread fitting. Buy either from Hitachi/Deere or drill the plug out and tap it to what you need. I would actually find a wrecked EX270 or 300 with all the parts you need and use them. Should be something around.

  3. #3BlackbeardMX2012-02-21 13:08

    can I get electric valves to move the spools?

  4. #4spitzair2012-02-24 14:31

    Glad to hear you got it running! You do realize it is mandatory for you to post pictures of your new toy . You can get an electric valve to run the pilot circuit to move the aux. valve. Here's what they look like. My machine has 2 installed, one for the thumb and one for another circuit that seems to have been uninstalled at some point

  5. #5BlackbeardMX2012-02-24 21:31

    Yeah, thats what I need. I will post some pics of it in a couple days. There is some problems with it. I dont know if maybe some of the hoses got switched or what, but it doesnt lift smoothly. Its most noticeable witht the main boom. When you pull back on the stick lightly, the engine loads a little but nothing happens. Pull a little more, and then it comes up really fast. I havent checked any pressures yet. The tracks also act about the same way. If you just run one track, it wont move much, but if you add the other one, it moves really quick. Its hard to do anything smoothly with it. Does this machine have two-speed track motors? There is a switch in the cab that has a turtle and a rabbit that I assumed was the hi/lo switch, but there are only two hoses to each motor. Doesnt that mean its only a single speed? I havent had much time to look it over to figure all this out. I guess I just need to get the manual and trace all the hoses and make sure they are all hooked up correctly and get all the wiring fixed first.