I have been doing some research on the old 3406B CAT motor & I ran across some interesting info on some guys running tranny fluid in their tanks. Something along the lines of 1qt. of tranny fluid per 100 gallons of fuel - has to do with keeping injectors clean or for some other reasons for their old engine. Has anyone heard of this? It sounds like something I am interested in doing for my 3406B with almost 300,000 on it.
I had a 400 cummins big cam that I used to put atf in at every fill up about 1 quart. I also used fill filter when I changed it with atf instead of diesel. Never had an injector problem with over 500 thousand on it.
I don't know it for a fact, but I've read that ATF has been changed and doesn't work well as a fuel additive anymore. If you want to go this route use Marvel Mystery Oil, it's designed to burn without leaving ash deposits. The only injector I ever had go bad was after I started messing with fuel additives.
use a good quality fuel additive!! tranny fluid is red like dyed fuel you don't want that ticket stayneadyne makes some really good additive, just look for something that contains NO alcohol it should work fine..
I did this exact thing when owning a B model Cat back in the day,, Today, just a diesel compact farm tractor and new diesel generator set and all I use is Howes lubricant, although even in my old 350 detroits, cummins, and two cats, I used Howes in them too,, Howes at the time was the only fuel lubricant that never used alcohol and to this day still doesn't.
Also, remember that that ULSD is now mandated for certain year models now for on road and off road.
I thought was only for 2010 & new engines.
Lucas has a good fuel additive,ATF has the same red dye as no tax fuel,and yes the ATF has changed from the old days when it was common to use it in fuel
Wouldn't want any red in my tanks if the fuel police are around & they are from time to time around here. I remember hauling grain & when they showed up, half the line of farmers would high tail it out of there.